What produces RUTHLESS DICTATORS?

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:12 pm
@okie,
When you tell Walter that the German people inflicted Hitler on the world, and make absolutely no distinction which recognizes not only that Hitler was not elected by anyone, that the NSDAP did not get all the votes, and in fact, was a minority government--when you don't qualify your remarks, you're indulging in sloppy rhetoric.

Try to be precise, OK?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:15 pm
Quote:
Hitler was an Austrian citizen, born there, registered there, with Austrian passport etc

It's an old joke, but it's still a good one . . .

The genius of the Austrians is that they have convinced the world that Hitler was a German, and that Beethoven was an Austrian.
okie

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:16 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

What do the following ruthless dictators have in common:
Mussolini, Hitler, Hirohito, Stalin, Mao Zedong, Ho Chi Minh, and Pol Pot. not to mention , Castro, and Chavez?

ican, I've already documented how Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Pol Pot, and Castro correlated with the template of common denominators that I gave at the beginning of the thread. Then in the last page or two, I documented Mussolini, and he fit the template fairly well also. When I get time, I will check out Hirohito and Chavez. It should be a good test of how good the template fits.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
Hitler was an Austrian citizen, born there, registered there, with Austrian passport etc

It's an old joke, but it's still a good one . . .

The genius of the Austrians is that they have convinced the world that Hitler was a German, and that Beethoven was an Austrian.

Sure, sure, but if you or Walter wants to convince everyone the Germans had nothing to do with Hitler, be my guest. Give it a try, perhaps you already did, I don't know, but so far it isn't very convincing.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:21 pm
"We have to pummel the thread starter because he dared to present a subject that was uncomfortable for some for whatever reason or might challenge the sacred cow of the moment."

Am I the only one that found this hilarious?

we pummel okie and his friend(s) because they argue like they are right and everyone else is dumb, regardless of what the (non)substance of said silly argument is...

(and cuz it's the right thing to do...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:23 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Sure, sure, but if you or Walter wants to convince everyone the Germans had nothing to do with Hitler, be my guest. Give it a try, perhaps you already did, I don't know, but so far it isn't very convincing.

Where one of us say such or even similar?

Or where did I (or Set) try to convince everyone about it?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Don't mind okie, Walter. He makes sweeping claims about Germans while ignoring what our government has done around the world that's not exactly nice. Our government was responsible for the killings in many countries around the world where we should never have involved ourselves in. Not only that, but our government influenced the elections and staying power of some the worst leaders of our day.

okie is without a clue.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:43 pm
@okie,
Quote:

So according to what you say here, if someone asked the question, "what produces criminals? and then studies certain common denominators among criminals, it still doesn't mean anything at all because not all people with those common experiences and common denominators become criminals, so therefore there is no causation relationship whatsoever? Is that correct?

No, you have to run a statistical analysis to account for the characteristics.

A "poor childhood" doesn't guarantee that someone will be a criminal. It might make it more likely. For instance, someone with a "good childhood" may have a 1 in 20 chance of committing a crime while someone with a "poor childhood" may have a 1 in 13 chance. It doesn't make it a cause for criminality however. It only increases the likelihood of committing a crime. It is a contributing factor perhaps but it doesn't "produce" the criminal behavior.

The other problem okie is you have to create standards for what classifies as a "poor childhood." Those standards then have to be rigorously applied. You failed to set standards and you failed to apply them rigorously.

Quote:
Dysfunctional family and troubled childhood that extends into adulthood.
A dysfunctional family is a broad range that could apply to 90% of families. What standards are you talking about?
What is a "troubled childhood?"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:00 pm
@parados,
And when you've found and posted those standards, you should, of course, correlate them to the specific time period in the looked country.

0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:11 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

A "poor childhood" doesn't guarantee that someone will be a criminal. It might make it more likely. For instance, someone with a "good childhood" may have a 1 in 20 chance of committing a crime while someone with a "poor childhood" may have a 1 in 13 chance. It doesn't make it a cause for criminality however. It only increases the likelihood of committing a crime. It is a contributing factor perhaps but it doesn't "produce" the criminal behavior.

So if I read your answer, you concede that I am correct, without actually admitting it however. Nowhere did I claim that the common denominators always produced ruthless dictators, in fact I was quite careful to point out that other factors needed to occur as well to bring about the result.

Quote:
The other problem okie is you have to create standards for what classifies as a "poor childhood." Those standards then have to be rigorously applied. You failed to set standards and you failed to apply them rigorously. Dysfunctional family and troubled childhood that extends into adulthood. A dysfunctional family is a broad range that could apply to 90% of families. What standards are you talking about?
What is a "troubled childhood?"

You need to use your head. Obviously, it takes a little common sense. Abandonment by parents, the kid getting in trouble for stabbing a fellow student, things like that, obviously you need to use just a smidgeon of common sense, Parados, if you can, and realize that those things are not ordinary or desireable. Obviously these are not things that lend themselves to a computer checklist, there are degrees of seriousness, and that is where we come in to use some common sense and apply. You can hopefully read the histories of the childhoods for example, of dictators, and make judgements about whether their experiences were fairly normal, or pretty abnormal, and I have made the obvious judgement that most of the people I've checked are pretty abnormal. Now, if you consider going to jail, stabbing other students, getting kicked out of school, things like that, as normal, then I don't know if you can ever figure this subject out, Parados.

Nowhere have I claimed a one to one relationship, such as if a kid throws a bottle of ink at the teacher, vs a kid getting kicked out of school, he will thus do such and such? If you expect that kind of perfection, you could not be more confused about the purpose and how to use reason with some of this stuff. I am merely suggesting that certain things in the experience of people, degrees of dysfunction, etc., if they gain political power, could produce very undesireable results. I believe that is entirely wise and advisable to do. We don't want really screwed up people in politics. Slightly screwed up people, perhaps we can survive, but really screwed up ones, no, I think we as a society need to be smarter than that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:16 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Quote:
I am merely suggesting that certain things in the experience of people, degrees of dysfunction, etc., if they gain political power, could produce very undesireable results.

Your suggestion is meaningless. Undesirable results happens from so-called people with good backgrounds.

Your assumptions have no meaning in the real world. They are baseless and without merit. Go preach your ignorance someplace else where you can sell it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:27 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
I am merely suggesting that certain things in the experience of people, degrees of dysfunction, etc., if they gain political power, could produce very undesireable results. I believe that is entirely wise and advisable to do. We don't want really screwed up people in politics. Slightly screwed up people, perhaps we can survive, but really screwed up ones, no, I think we as a society need to be smarter than that.

Some really great sources are the "English (Essex) Pauper Letters" from 1600 until 1835. Or any other sources in social history.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:39 pm
@Setanta,
Possibly you meant Mozart - nobody ever doubted that Beethoven was German. And, Okie, consider many good things about Hitler, e.g. that he loved dogs, or that he went out and attacked Stalin - that last one didn't go too well, but it's the principle of the matter that counts.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:43 pm
@High Seas,
Code:he (Hitler) went out and attacked Stalin
and it's fortunate for us that he did, otherwise he might have beat us in WW II.
parados

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:45 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

What do the following ruthless dictators have in common:
Mussolini, Hitler, Hirohito, Stalin, Mao Zedong, Ho Chi Minh, and Pol Pot. not to mention , Castro, and Chavez?

All of them were male
None of them were castrated
Each of them had 2 eyes and one nose
None of them were French
None of them was a practicing Dentist
All of them had a mother
None of them were Buddhist

Things they do NOT have in common -
Ho Chi Minh, Stalin, Chavez and Mao didn't go to boarding school.
Chavez openly discusses his Catholic religion.
Pol Pot and Ho Chi Minh don't seem to have problems with religion.
About half were born poor and the other half were reasonably well off.
Ho Chi Minh, Chavez, and Pol Pot didn't seem to see injustice from childhood.
Chavez created his political viewpoint in college.
Hirohito certainly seems to have no family troubles as an adult.

High Seas

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:45 pm
@dyslexia,
Like I said, the guy had some good points Smile
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:47 pm
@parados,
Hate to tell you this, Parados, but you sound like an AI program on the blink; are you testing new code for multicore processors, by any chance?Smile
parados

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:54 pm
@okie,
Quote:
You need to use your head. Obviously, it takes a little common sense. Abandonment by parents, the kid getting in trouble for stabbing a fellow student, things like that, obviously you need to use just a smidgeon of common sense, Parados, if you can, and realize that those things are not ordinary or desireable. Obviously these are not things that lend themselves to a computer checklist, there are degrees of seriousness, and that is where we come in to use some common sense and apply.

common sense?
Oh.. right.. going to boarding school means a child is abandoned. Your standards are laughable okie.
You decide that they have to have a troubled childhood then you set out to find things to show they did. Every child has instances where they felt "unloved" or "abandoned." Let me repeat that EVERY CHILD has those issues if you want to look for them.

Chavez went to live with his grandparents to go to school. Does that mean he had a troubled childhood?
Pol Pot visited his sister who was a concubine at the Royal palace. So I guess he had a troubled childhood in your view.

You set a vague standard then find vague instances to meet your vague standard.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:58 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas, I find your query on parados quite interesting when okie is the one shooting off his mouth with personal opinions that has no basis in fact or foundation.

I don't know what a AI program is, but you need more introspection of who you challenge on a2k. Otherwise, you look more the fool.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:01 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Now, if you consider going to jail, stabbing other students, getting kicked out of school, things like that, as normal, then I don't know if you can ever figure this subject out, Parados.

I don't consider those things normal. But which of the people you listed actually had those things happen?
How many want to jail as a child?
How many stabbed other students?
How many were kicked out of schools?

Let's compare your original statements about them.
Hitler - None of the above.
Stalin was expelled from SEMINARY. He was NOT a child at the time. So none of the above.
Mao - None of the above
Pol Pot - None of the above
Castro - None of the above
Hussein - None of the above.

Since none of them did the 3 things you listed as "abnormal" okie.. what other things did you use to judge them having "abnormal" childhoods?
0 Replies