Czar-Mayor Bloomberg strikes again at those without

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:44 am
In another moment of pure lack of compassion, 3rd term New York City Czar...I mean, Mayor, Michael Bloomberg has taken aim at food given to the homeless shelters and organizations; because as he puts it, they 'can't assess their salt, fat and fiber content'.

So, apparently living in a barracks style space, with various bugs (bedbugs, roaches, lice, etc.) and risking ones life at the hands of other residents is okay; but, gosh golly Bloomberg's going to make sure there's enough fiber in your tuna casserole.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/
Quote:
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

It’s the “no bagels for you” edict.

“I can’t give you something that’s a supplement to the food you already have? Sorry that’s wrong,” Richter said.

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

Richter said he was stunned. He said his family has eaten the same food forever and flourished.

“My father lived to 97; my grandfather lived to 97, and they all enjoyed it and somehow we’re being told that this is no good and I think there is a degree of management that becomes micromanagement and when you cross that line simply what you’re doing is wrong,” Richter said.

Bloomberg has a history of going after those without, this is not his first foray into attempting murder; it may be his first at doing so through starvation.

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:48 am
From the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/no_kugel_for_you_N4VuTrqavfOiApSHngxuMJ

Quote:
No Kugel For You
So much for serving the homeless.

The Bloomberg administration is now taking the term “food police” to new depths, blocking food donations to all government-run facilities that serve the city’s homeless.

In conjunction with a mayoral task force and the Health Department, the Department of Homeless Services recently started enforcing new nutritional rules for food served at city shelters. Since DHS can’t assess the nutritional content of donated food, shelters have to turn away good Samaritans.

For over a decade, Glenn Richter and his wife, Lenore, have led a team of food-delivery volunteers from Ohab Zedek, the Upper West Side Orthodox congregation.

They’ve brought freshly cooked, nutrient-rich surplus foods from synagogue events to homeless facilities in the neighborhood. (Disclosure: I know the food is so tasty because I’ve eaten it — I’m an OZ member.) The practice of donating such surplus food to homeless shelters is common among houses of worship in the city.

DHS Commissioner Seth Diamond says the ban on food donations is consistent with Mayor Bloomberg’s emphasis on improving nutrition for all New Yorkers. A new interagency document controls what can be served at facilities — dictating serving sizes as well as salt, fat and calorie contents, plus fiber minimums and condiment recommendations.

The city also cites food-safety issues with donations, but it’s clear that the real driver behind the ban is the Bloomberg dietary diktats.

Diamond insists that the institutional vendors hired by the shelters serve food that meets the rules but also tastes good; it just isn’t too salty. So, says the commissioner, the homeless really don’t need any of the synagogue’s food.

Glenn Richter’s experience suggests otherwise. He says the beneficiaries — many of them senior citizens recovering from drug and alcohol abuse — have always been appreciative of the treats he and other OZ members bring.

It’s not just that the donations offer an enjoyable addition to the “official” low-salt fare; knowing that the food comes from volunteers and community members warms their hearts, not just their stomachs.

So you can imagine Richter’s consternation last month when employees at a local shelter turned away food he brought from a bar mitzvah.

He’s a former city Housing Authority employee, and his wife spent 35 years as a South Bronx public-school teacher, so they’re no strangers to bureaucracy and poverty. But an exasperated Richter says, “This level of micromanagement is stunning.”

Says Rabbi Allen Schwartz of Ohav Zedek, “Jews have been eating chulent and kugel for a long time, and somehow we’ve managed to live long and healthy lives. All we want to do is to continue sharing these bounties with our neighbors.”

This is very different from another recent high-profile food-police case. When a North Carolina prekindergarten aide took away a 4-year-old’s home-packed lunch last month, the school defused the incident by blaming a teacher’s bad judgment.

Here, there’s no teacher to scapegoat. The ban on food donations is the direct result of work by many city agencies, all led by a mayoral task force.

Fine, the city’s making enough nutritious food available to our homeless. (Court mandates require it.) But that’s no excuse for turning away charity that brings a tiny bit of joy into these lives.

The Bloomberg administration is so obsessed with meddling in how we all live that it’s now eating away at the very best that New York citizens have to deliver.

Jeff Stier, a National Center for Public Policy Research senior fellow, lives on the Upper West Side.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:52 am
Follow the money trail here.

How much do you want to bet that the food vendors hired by the city are complaining about all the donated foods - not under the same strict regulations - coming in.

Liability could be another issue.
farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 06:59 am
@PUNKEY,
cholent is, as everybody knows, a source of the virulent toxicant VITAMIN A.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:33 am
@PUNKEY,
Given Bloomberg's history which is constantly doing things which hurt the homeless and others who are disenfranchised, I can't really buy into it just being a liability issue.

A few months back he decided to push a policy which would require single people to 'prove' they had nowhere to go other than the homeless shelters.
The City Council sued against it, and they won. This is actually Bloomberg reacting to his loss. He reacts like a little bratty baby when he loses.

A quick search on the Internet brings up the scads of past swipes at the homeless and against other low income people.

Keep in mind as well that Bloomberg sees himself as better than the rest of us. Here is a man who bought all elections in his quest to rule. He has had to switch parties constantly. One win was as a Republican, one as a Democrat and one as an Independent.

A short while back, he used his power and money to overturn term limits. The people, that is, the voters, had twice said they wanted term limits. The ballot choice indicated that it would be a limit of 2 terms. There was no choice of 3 terms or even 4. There was no mention of grandfathering this in.
Then, in 2008, he began saying that he needed to stay Mayor, that only he could save the city during its financial crisis. This is the same man who at all earlier times had said, 2 terms, that's what the voters asked for and that's all we get. He went as far as saying this to then Mayor Rudolph Giuliani who wanted an extension of a few months after the events of September 2001 (it was a Mayoral election year). However he's Mike Bloomberg, therefore he should get more time.

He got it overturned. He dillydallyed until there was no way it could be added on as a ballot proposal for the year 2009, then had the city council vote it in. He kept at a distance so he'd seem clean. Meanwhile those who voted for extensions suddenly became elevated in the Bloomberg regime.

Let's take a look at James Vacca a city councilman of the Bronx. He was a nobody, a nothing. Then term limits debate came in and he shot to the top...well, maybe not the top; but, became much more visible.

At the time, Vacca the Clown (as I call him), campaigned feverishly for extending the limits to 3 years. He even had the Al D'Amato moment where he used his mother as the reason to do something, It was along the lines of:

Mother Vacca: You mean I won't be able to vote for Mayor Bloomberg a third time?

Vacca: No Ma, you won't.

Mother Vacca: I don't like that Jimmy, I don't like that at all.

Now it should be noted that Mother Vacca was probably able to vote at the time the issue of term limits had been on the ballot. Councilman Vacca never did say how or if she had voted on the issue, or for that matter how he himself voted on the issue at the time.

Since the vote to extend Vacca is now seen at most Bloomberg conferences, much the way that Christine 'I wanna be the first lesbian Mayor of New York City' Quinn used to be at Bloomberg's ass all the time. Quinn has had to distance herself as she wants desperately to be Mayor and has a 2013 target date.

In 2010, the voters, for a third time voted on term limits and again, voted on a two term limit, which knocked over Bloomberg's law, although both he and several others in the city government managed to snag a third term because the vote came in after they'd been seated.

More on term limits, the 3rd vote: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/nyregion/03limits.html

The bottom line is that Bloomberg sees himself as a god, and all things must go his way or else. If a vote doesn't go his way, you can be assured that down the road somebody will pay. A policy will be overturned or at least challenged if it was supported by someone who he views as a traitor. So, no, I don't think this latest move by Bloomberg was anything other than him having a tantrum and throwing his bottle at the homeless in reaction to the city council having sued....and won, against him on the matter of the homeless having to 'prove' they had nowhere else to go.
High Seas

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 07:49 am
@Sturgis,
All 3 times he ran for mayor he got elected as a Republican. Otherwise I agree with you it's not a liability issue - you get liability issues if you're staying at the Four Seasons and find a bug in your suite, but not at the homeless shelters. He's forced people in public housing to stop smoking indoors - the rest of us can smoke in homes, cigar bars, and private clubs all we like - and now he's going to stop food donations to the homeless. Did I mention he also thinks we got too many bars in town? And that we're really really fat and must go on diets?

Btw, the Occupy crowd was at Union Square on St Patrick's day carrying funny signs - here's a couple I remember: "Mayor Bloomberg, you are not my Jewish mother!" and "I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one!"
Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 08:02 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
All 3 times he ran for mayor he got elected as a Republican.

OOps...
I apparently mixed up his background. Not sure why. Thank you High Seas for catching that, it's appreciated.

Quote:
Otherwise I agree with you it's not a liability issue - you get liability issues if you're staying at the Four Seasons and find a bug in your suite, but not at the homeless shelters. He's forced people in public housing to stop smoking indoors - the rest of us can smoke in homes, cigar bars, and private clubs all we like - and now he's going to stop food donations to the homeless.

He has issues as far as I can tell. He wants everything to run his way or else. Going after people with less means seems to be an easy avenue for him to travel.

Quote:
Btw, the Occupy crowd was at Union Square on St Patrick's day carrying funny signs - here's a couple I remember: "Mayor Bloomberg, you are not my Jewish mother!" and "I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one!"

Although I have mixed feelings on some of the OWS items, I absolutely love many of their signs. They are consistently on target.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 09:10 am
@Sturgis,
Patience. His term expires in 2013, I thought. Then we might get an authentic New Yorker as mayor; hopefully.

If I remember correctly, in his first time bid for mayor, he won because while the Black vote was predominantly for Mark Green and the "Jewish vote" was split over Mark Green, an overwhelming number of Latinos voted for Bloomberg, the popular belief being that a billionaire would know how to bring jobs to NYC.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:26 pm
@Foofie,
I personally don't trust Bloomberg not to try overturning term limits again.
Foofie

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:31 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I personally don't trust Bloomberg not to try overturning term limits again.

A fourth term? Christine Quinn, I thought, would want to run for mayor. Ladies might protest? I also think Bloomberg has lost his charisma in NYC, for many. I believe he would lose in a contest against many a candidate.

On the over-the-air tv signal 25.2 (NYC channel 25.1 and 25.2) seems to usually show taped proceedings of the city council, and other assorted NYC official goings on. Bloomberg has a nice share of this airtime, in my opinion. I really lost my ability to appreciate his chiseled features.
0 Replies