4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

FOR THE TOPPING:
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Approximately 1 cup small candy eggs like robin's eggs.

Heat the oven at 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch spring form cake pan with parchment paper (waxed paper may also be used.)

FOR THE CAKE: Melt the chocolate in a large measuring cup in a microwave oven or melt in a double boiler over low heat. Stir the butter into the chocolate and let cool.

Separate 4 eggs' whites and yolks into separate bowls. Whisk the 4 egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and whisk until the egg whites hold their shape but are not too stiff. Reserve.

Whisk the 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar and the vanilla until combined. Stir in the cooled chocolate to mix.

Fold the whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture, 1/3 at a time, taking care not to deflate the egg whites.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake rises, cracks and the center is no longer wobbly.

Remove the cake from the oven and cool it on a wire rack. The middle of the cake will sink and it's sides will crack. When cooled, carefully remove the cake from the pan, peeling away any pan liner paper clinging to the cake, and place the cake on a serving plate.

FOR THE TOPPING: Melt the chocolate as directed for the cake batter above.

In a large bowl, whip the cream until it is firm but not stiff. Fold in the vanilla and the melted, cooled chocolate. Spread the topping over the cake, easing it out gently toward the edges with the back of a spoon. Arrange the candy Easter eggs on top of the icing.

Because of the cream topping the cake must be refrigerated before serving; cover any leftovers and refrigerate.

Yield: 6 servings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,015 • Replies: 2
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 02:42 pm
I think I saw this one on Nigella's column in NYT. Did you make it, BBB? How did it turn out?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:07 pm
The Easter Egg cake recipe
I don't recall, now, where I saw the original recipe. However, it was so badly written and organized that I revised and adapted it to make it easier for people to make.

No, I didn't make the cake.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies