Mundane participation for the tragically bored.

George

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 08:38 pm
Wearing: jeans, grey jersey, black Polartec vest, socks of indeterminate color
Hearing: the announcer proclaiming a Swiss goal
Eating: nothing
Drinking: tea, Earl Grey, hot
Feeling: melancholy -- took the tree down this evening
Doing: Watching Switzerland v Russia in the IIHF U20 tournament
Looking forward to: a good snooze
ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 09:18 pm
@George,
Wearing: the sweater clogs, black dance pants, black tank, garnet sweater dress, weird but comfy reversible vest (faux orange shearling/loden fleece), a big mess of hair - shoulda dried it before I headed out to dance practice
Hearing: Tonic on the radio
Eating: nothing
Drinking: tea, hot with honey and lemon
Feeling: really tired
Doing: playing a bit before I go to bed
Looking forward to: a good snooze

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Happy 2K, 2Packs.

Wearing: Jeans, black long-sleeved t, dark gray wool cardigan with pewtery/silvery beading that looks vaguely tough. Only vaguely though.
Hearing: ---
Eating: --- had some homemade split pea soup for lunch, just read about ehBeth eating clementines, might have some.
Drinking: non, clementine juice sounds good though.
Feeling: Not bad really.
Doing: The usual smorgasbord, some of this, some of that.
Looking forward to: Tomorrow.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:36 pm
@sozobe,
Wearing: Black dress pants, charcoal grey dress socks, black sneakers, checkered blue and white dress shirt.
Hearing: Other people typing away on their keyboards; a cell phone on vibrate; etc....
Eating: Nothing right now.
Drinking: Just finished a mug of green tea.
Feeling: A tad tired. Could use a nap.
Doing: Half-working.
Looking forward to: Les Miserables (2012) on the IMAX screen tonight.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:03 pm
@sozobe,
Wearing: my ten year old and they look it Tarah Rose loafers that I got on sale for something like $100, down from something like $400. Those were the days when I sometimes had moolah in my wallet. Best shoeses I've ever had, for fitting my feet, and I plan for them to last another ten. Speaking as we were on another thread, re patina.
Hearing: my ears ting-a-ling
Smelling: -----
Eating: just pulled out the pot of - yes! - homemade split pea soup to warm up. And then I saw Soz's post. Great minds, you know.
Mine's spicy (madras hot tamarind curry powder, minced garlic, probably some chile flakes) plus a splash of diced ham. This is the one where I tried my very first effort to see how salt pork works.
Drinking: glass of red.
Feeling: Not bad really. Glad to be home from the store. In check out I remembered that when I got gas yesterday I put the ccard in my jacket pocket (not a usual move, says dummy). So I had to go home and back again. On the other hand, I like the people at Brooks market. Plus this time they stocked coarse cornmeal, my choice for polenta. Yay. Now to nag them to get some semolina.
Otherwise, happy my ex called yesterday, our anniversary, the epiphany, makes it easy to remember - we were both ex catholics. He could hardly talk, cold/flu. Glad we still talk off and on.. Continuity.
Doing: The usual smorgasbord, some of this, some of that. After the soup I'll make some olive oil tart dough, which will also work for future ravioli/pot stickers, I think. The last ravioli dough I made stunk. Or maybe that was my technique.
Looking forward to: Roger's in town, may see him depending on timing; Diane and I have plans for a circle shop tomorrow: home depot, good will for give and buy, maybe Nicki's for a salad (we were stunned by how good the salad was the last time).
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wearing: tan cords, blue button-down, brown top-siders
Hearing: myself cough
Eating: crunchy granola bar
Drinking: black coffee
Feeling: relieved; they postponed the Prelimary Design Review
Doing: still preparing for the damned PDR
Looking forward to: home, where my music's playing; home where my
love lies waiting silently for me (poetic license -- she's not one to lie
silently waiting)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:11 pm
@George,
George wrote:
(poetic license -- she's not one to lie
silently waiting)

<cracking up in Toronto>
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:39 pm
@George,
Wearing: boot cut blue jeans, chuck taylors - they are pretty worn...I should probably get a new pair. Black long sleeve t, faux suede black jacket, a gauzy black scarf with white polka dots, black rimmed cat eye reading glasses - sex-ay.
Hearing: a temper tantrum...seriously? It's a game.
Eating: no
Drinking: about to
Feeling: I am weary. It's a good weary though.
Doing: killing time until the national championship
Looking forward to: I dunno, sleep I am thinking right now. Tomorrow I maybe able to look forward better.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:42 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:
Doing: Cataloging my puzzles, I was right in my initial guess, I have 40 of my favorites, but I think there are more stashed somewhere. Finally finished that crazy glow in the dark puzzle....it's very pretty.

soooo details ... is there an online pic of it?
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:47 pm
@George,
Wearing: Jeans and a T-shirt with a local boy's name on it, it's kinda cute, his last name is Pullen, so they made a picture of a little boy pullin' a wagon...the theme is Pullen for Marshall....Marshall being his first name.
Hearing: I Robot.
Smelling: Homeade chicken noodle soup.
Eating: Nothing yet....besides a nobake cookie that I snuck.
Drinking: Sprite.
Feeling: Kinda sleepy, fixin to go put my cloths away, that will wake me up.
Doing: Just finished a puzzle...it was a copy of one of my earliest by this artist, I've had the origional for around 20 yrs, so I have worked it many times....a dozen or 15 maybe....I mainly wanted to see if all the pieces were there, picked it up at a Goodwill Thur for 1.00, on the way home from StL. It was all there and basically in mint condition. I opened the box around noonish and finished it a little after 4, which is about normal for this type of picture. Moonmeadow Cove is it's title if you would care to see how I spend a great deal of time.

The last one took me probably 15 or 20 hours, hard to tell when they take me more than a day....but I got up a lot and got away from it...it's title is Sweetheart Chessmate, most of their titles make some kind of sense, this one is just a rough guess, that with the empty buggy outside, and the wind blowing the grass pretty hard, I suppose that sweethearts are supposed to be inside playing chess. It made for a very pretty picture....large blue {sort of} Dutch Colonial style house.

Looking forward to: Getting a huge shipment of puzzles that I won on Ebay last night {50 of them} the motherlode....as best I can tell, I only have 6 of them already. I lost a bid on a batch of 24 a few nights ago, but I had 8 of those so it was more like losing 16, but many of those were in that big batch that I did win....so it worked out for the best.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:04 pm
@2PacksAday,
Wysocki's neat - got a kind of cleaned-up Grandma Moses look.

Those puzzles would be pretty when they're done.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Forgive me for babbling about my hobby.

Yeah, if you google ....victorian christmas glow in the dark puzzle....you can see a picture of it, I still have it put together, mainly because I forgot about it, was meaning to let everyone see it....have to go into the bathroom and shut the door to get the full effect. I thought the whole thing glowed....it sort of does, but mainly the snow...it's pretty neat looking. I don't think there is any way to take a picture of it, unless I tripod the camera and do a time elapse...but I don't know how to do that either.

It's on top of the ice box....refrigerator....on a piece of cardboard.

A few years ago I found a set of tables that I liked a lot, they were all woodgrained so I painted them black...anyway, the coffee table top is raiseable, and this is where I work all my puzzles, I can raise and lower it as needed to avoid back fatigue....mostly "gut" fatigue, as I have become a bit of a fatty. I sort all my pieces into shoe box lids, and work out of those, I have a real hard time with glare...anything that glares, especially the sun....and if the pieces are not directly under my face, it's hard for me to see them. I have nearly perfect vision.

I almost always work the puzzles from the top down and slide it up and add sides as needed, until I get far enough to add the bottom...to cut down on the glare. I did have an articulated light that I can clamp on the side of the table, but my wife stole it, actually she took both of them to keep the baby chicks warm.

When I'm working the really old one's I keep a bottle of glue handy for repairs, they tend to peal a bit. I have some of those roll up mats, but have never used them, as well as a factory made sorting bin set, but I like the shoebox lids the best.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:38 pm
@2PacksAday,
Interesting stuff. I've never really worked on puzzles other than when visiting cottages. I've just been googling away looking at the ones you've mentioned and then kept looking.

I could really get into something like Dan Christ's Turkey Tracks
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Wysocki = a cleaned up G Moses....exactly....he passed away a few years ago, and now has a few knock off's.

I've been working puzzles since before I could read, I was raised by my grandparents, and their parents were often in the hospital, so a great deal of my early childhood was spent in waiting rooms, I always had a bag of puzzles with me....still the same sort of, I currently spend a lot of time in waiting rooms, and carry Fill-In's, crossword, and soduku books with me nearly at all tmes....those long coats ain't just for show.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:08 pm
@2PacksAday,
I like your hobby, as I 'splained earlier.

Am interested with your trouble with glare.
I've a fabulous plethora of long term eye, um, diagnosis, mixed with odds and ends re aging eyes/cataracts and six surgeries because of those, five involved with a flub up. The good news is that I can still see ok, wonderfully with right eye, and varying with lefty (which had 5 of the surgeries).

Glare gets me in the 'nads (and I'm a woman) but dark glasses get me because I've dark vision problems. Have to take them on and off, on and off, etc.

Which is to say I'm wondering if you are having cataracts, but it is none of my business.
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I have light colored eyes, that is what most drs have said was my problem, when asked. I hate floresent lighting....hate, hate, hate....

It's always been that way, most of the pictures of me as a child, if I was outside, I'm neartly always squinting.....or I've got my head tilted oddly to avoid the glare. I've worn sunglasses forever, when not wearing them, they are usually kept on my hat, I used to wear them on a string around my neck, but gave that up because the kids kept saying I looked like an old guy...in my late 20's early 30's.

Plus with the string, I'm a messy eater, and I was always having to clean greasy spots off them when they hung around the neck.

Yeah, I always figured you for a puzzler anyway.
JPB

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:40 pm
@2PacksAday,
Got this one for Christmas.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61d4c5SoJaL.jpg
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:50 pm
@JPB,
Is that one called 100 rabbits.

I saw a bundle of those types puzzles....seems like one of them said 100 reindeer, and 100 bears or something.

Yeah I would have a blast with that. I've already mentioned him but, there is a a guy named Steve Skelton, his puzzles are really cool, he has a few like that, and then he has his Tooniverse series.
mismi

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:50 pm
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
I have light colored eyes, that is what most drs have said was my problem, when asked. I hate floresent lighting....hate, hate, hate....

My eyes are blue/grey - I hate flourescent lighting as well...bright light sucks. Must have my sunglasses when outside.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:51 pm
@JPB,
Oh that is pretty JPB. I like it. Have you started it yet?
0 Replies