Philosophy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:29 am
I've recently developed a liking for philosophy. I've only read a couple works by Nietzsche so far but I like him from what I've read. Does anyone have any other philosophers that they would recommend??? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,502 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:30 am
Albert Camus
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:54 am
George Berkeley
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
If you buy a book called 'Sophie's World' you will get an overview of Western philosophy written in an intriguing and informative way, so that you can decide your favourites. It's by a Swedish author and is aimed at teenagers but I found it a good read and I was in my forties.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:15 pm
Try The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant edited by Stanley Rosen.

It includes selections from Aristotle, Augustine, Descartes, Dewey, Hegel, Hobbes, Hume, Kant, Kierkegaard, Leibniz, Nietzsche, Plato, and Wittgenstein, among others.

Best part about it: it's a monsterous 620 pages for a mere $14.95, probably even much cheaper if you find a used copy.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:44 pm
thanks guys
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 03:00 pm
For more recent philosophers, MacIntyre's work is certainly interesting.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:32 pm
What about John Locke???
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:08 am
John Locke was an empiricist.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:09 am
Woody Allen.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:10 am
John Creasy wrote:
What about John Locke???

Also included in the volume I recommend above. :wink:

And I should have added at the time: the point of browsing a volume like that is less about sitting down and reading it cover-to-cover as such, as much as seeing what some of these guys are like to read. Case in point: I'll warn you right now, Nietzsche is arguably the most accessible, easiest philosopher to read. Not that he's necessarily easy to understand, but in terms of 'enjoyable literature', he's virtually unsurpassed when compared to other philosophers - Plato being perhaps the only exception. Most of the other chaps are going to be much dryer and academic in pace and style. Seeing a nice overview of the different writing styles in philosophy will allow you to determine which ones you'd like to try reading.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
Especially Kant.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:52 am
I would offer the opinion that reading Plato is only for historical perspective, not something to take seriously.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
Dyslexia is quite anti-platonic/aristotelian. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:02 pm
yes he is. the bane of western civilization.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
Plato can pretty much kiss my ass too. Socrates, however, must be dealt with in full seriousness. That's the real fruit of Plato.

And yes, Ray, Kant is exactly who I had in mind above. Cool
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
Nietzsche, Kant, Wittgenstein, (love those germans)
Also, personal favorites of a more contemporary nature, Rand and LaVey.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:58 pm
lol Kant is always on the list of complex and at times frustrating read.

BTW if you want to read the Hellenistic and Roman works, Plutarch and Epictetus are great.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:15 pm
try Bill O'reilly, he is one of the top philosophers of all time...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:22 am
Hmmm... tricky question. If you mean "interested in philosophy", meaning that you enjoy the thinking, you shouldn't read any books by any philosophers. It'd only pollute your capacity for free thought.

On the other hand, if you mean "interested" in the way we usually do, for satiation- filling empty hours, then the old greeks are fun. A bit of advice though. Don't take it too seriously, or you'll become a jukebox for old philosophical phrases. Smile
0 Replies