Whoa! Kerry Packer is dead......will it make a difference?

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:44 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/06/leunig0701_gallery__470x330.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:58 pm
I love Leunig!

The stories are starting to come out now. Some women received $10million in property shares from KP in the past month. Was she just an employee? (manager of health club). There's been no mention of KP's womanising, but.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:06 pm
I suspect we might never find out, margo. You reckon anyone's going to publish an interesting angle on this (if there is one) & upset the powers that be? I don't think so!:wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:20 pm
Lol! Murdoch's muck journals'll buy it, mebbe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:04 am
Crikey on Fairfax on Packer....

"1. How Fairfax handles billionaires and their "friends"

By Anthony Stavrinos

Why were The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age so restrained in their story last weekend about gym manager Julie Trethowan, who was coyly described as the late Kerry Packer's “friend"?

The Age played the story down on the side of page one and The Sydney Morning Herald placed it modestly in the page one basement. Neither paper ran their snatched pic of Trethowan at her home on the front page – in stark contrast to the treatment both papers meted out in 2000 when news emerged that Richard Pratt, another Australian billionaire, had been keeping a mistress, Shari-lea Hitchcock. Both the SMH and The Age splashed Ben Hills's Pratt-Hitchcock story and large photos across their front pages.

Kate McClymont, the investigative reporter who wrote Saturday's piece, was fully aware of Trethowan's involvement with Packer – something widely known in media circles. It's not known whether Fairfax's chairman and Liberal Party heavyweight Ron Walker played a role in the tentative way the papers handled the revelations of the $10 million left to the Packer "friend."

Sources in the SMH newsroom tell us there was some angst on Friday afternoon about how the story would be run to avoid a legal run-in with Australia's most powerful family.

McClymont was on leave and could not be contacted, but Crikey emailed SMH editor Alan Oakley to find out if the paper faced legal issues in terms of how Trethowan's relationship with the late Mr Packer was described.

His answer was a blunt yes, though he said there were no difficulties arriving at the decision to describe Trethowan as a Packer "friend." And he denied discussing how the story would be handled with Age editor Andrew Jaspan, even though they both took a remarkably similar tack. Jaspan hasn't responded to similar questions emailed to him.

Meanwhile, separate sources have confirmed the closeness of Packer's relationship with Trethowan and that the media mogul had been at her temporary Darling Point residence on Christmas Eve. Her regular pad at the Toft Monks block in Elizabeth Bay, which Packer used when he wanted to get away from it all, was being renovated.

It's understood that Packer returned to his Bellevue Hill mansion, Cairnton, the following day when his condition began to deteriorate. Son James was summonsed to return home from the Maldives while wife Ros was forced to cancel a family Christmas lunch when the gravity of Packer's health became known. "
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:27 am
Kerry Packer: 50 Days After His Passing
After watching the doco on Kerry Packer last night(WIN: 8:30 p.m. 16/2), a doco that was very positive and balanced by some of the criticism of Packer the man that can be read at this site--I recalled the only brief passage Freud wrote about biography in all his 28 volumes. Freud said that we can never really understand a man by writing about him--and I would add--by watching a doco. Today in Sydney at the Opera House there was a 'Tribute to Kerry Packer.' I would like to add my own words here even though I am aware there are many sides to a man, every man. Arrow
In life most of us try to connect the big picture and what happens there with our life, our little picture. The juxtaposition is one of the key ways we all have of integrating our lives into some kind of meaningful whole. Here is one more effort written some 50 days after the passing of a legend, one, Kerry Packer, age 68.

PERHAPS, KERRY, PERHAPS

Kerry Packer lived through the first 68 years of the Baha'i teaching Plan(1937-2005). His independent business life began in 1974, the year I worked at the Tasmanian College of Advanced Education as a senior tutor in human relations, the first human relations program at a CAE in Australia. I had been in Australia just over two years at that time. In 1974 Packer inherited 100 million dollars when his father Frank Packer died. Kerry Packer may be best known in Australia for founding World Series Cricket in 1977. That was the same year my son, my only child, was born and, although I don't remember much about the cricket for I was always stuck on baseball, a simpler game I have always thought. I do remember my son's birth. One of Kerry Packer's first and unflattering appearances in the media was in 1962. That was the year my own pioneering life began in Canada as part of the Baha'i community.

I must say I knew little of the man when he died because most of my life I have taken little interest in corporate finance, ownership of the media and celebrity in general, especially who was rich and by how much. Packer's personal interests in gambling, in sport, in business and finance and, of course, his own family, held little to no interest to me. When I saw the profile of Kerry Packer on WIN TV this evening, though, I found most of the information about his life interesting and revealing.

At age 8 he had a severe bout of poliomyelitis. I, too, suffered when young from some pathoanatomical knee problem whose name I can not now recall. Packer's life began eight months after the start of the first Baha'i teaching Plan which began in April 1937. For me, it is the curious juxtaposition between Packer's life, my life and the life of the Australian Baha'i community that has led to this prose-poem. -Ron Price with thanks to WIN TV, 8:30-9:30 p.m. 16 February 2006, "The Big Fella: The Extraordinary Life of Kerry Packer."

You certainly seemed to be
a man of energy, very human,
very kind, honest, calling a
spade a spade, as they say.

I'm not sure how much a doco
of 60 minutes tells the story
of a man's life. I guess it makes
a start, gives a few angles,
creates an impression of sorts.

A gift for ordinary conversation,
meeting-the-man, not the retiring
quiet sort of chap if you know what
I mean, made connections easily,
could easily be one of the boys.

Kerry, you had no belief in a life
to come but, perhaps, your stone
cold body was a sign that all your
life could not be gone and only one
place seemed likely: that Country,
the Undiscovered One, that Shelley
called It and where you now may be.

Perhaps you will now have
a new language with a 1000
conjugations for the word love,
where laughter will be spelled
in capitals and sadness will grow
obsolete. I trust food and affection
will be yours for that wink of yours
and, perhaps, light will say all that
needs to be said. Perhaps, Kerry,
perhaps!

Ron Price
February 17th 2006. Arrow
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:59 pm
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5110554,00.jpg

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18185527%255E601,00.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18185603%255E601,00.html
0 Replies

mans

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:05 pm
yeah, i really think it'll make a difference now that he's gone - john howards gonna waste all of our money on him
man, i hate that guy. he was nice, but also a cheat.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 01:30 am
I'm stunned by how much Kerry Packer drivel channel 9 are pumping out. When the prick was alive he did everything to keep himself out of the media. Now they spew it out like we actually care. Love to see the ratings...
0 Replies

mans

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 01:47 am
yeah. i bet people just watch it to see what's happening.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 01:52 am
What happened:

A fat guy who had weird parents, payed almost no tax and could tap prime ministers on the shoulder when he wanted something died.
0 Replies