Whoa! Kerry Packer is dead......will it make a difference?

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:42 pm
Crikey:

Kerry Packer dies, an era ends

By Anthony Stavrinos

Family and close friends have gathered at the Bellevue Hill home of Australia's richest man Kerry Packer after the media mogul died overnight, aged 68. The cause of the billionaire's death is not yet known, with an autopsy to be conducted, but his condition quickly deteriorated after he became ill on Christmas Day, according to a source close to the family.

The source said Packer's son and heir, James, cut short an overseas trip and returned to Sydney yesterday, several hours before his father's death. It's not known whether one of Mr Packer's last wishes was for his own Nine Network to break the news of his death - but it did, in the final minute of this morning's Today Show.

Packer's wife, Ros Packer, had personally overseen extensive renovations to the family's peninsula home in recent weeks and it's understood that it is from here that the family returned to their Bellevue Hill mansion when Mr Packer began to show signs of deteriorating health.

Tributes to Kerry Packer and his random acts of generosity have been pouring in, including one from PM John Howard and his media rival (and friend) Rupert Murdoch.

"Kerry was both a lifelong friend and a tough competitor. He was the most successful businessman of our generation," Murdoch said in a statement. "As a broadcaster, he had an uncanny knack of knowing what people across the country were thinking and this finely-tuned antennae made him the best broadcaster the country has seen."

Howard was also glowing in his praise for Packer, describing him as "one of the dominant figures, if not the dominant Australian figure of the media scene in this country for more than a generation."

"Of all the impressions he left with me, none was greater, or more indelible than his passionate commitment to the interests of Australia and the interests of the Australian people," Howard told journalists at a Kirribilli doorstop today.

"In all of the many conversations I had with him over the years, he was always concerned about what was right for this country. And the last one-on-one personal discussion we had at his home some two months ago, he was full of ideas for the future of Australia and ways in which this could be made a better country."

The closest the PM got to revealing the other side of Kerry Packer was in this exchange, which he cut short when a journalist raised the issue of Packer's dislike of paying tax:

JOURNALIST: Mr Howard, some people who knew him well have been speaking on radio this morning. Describing him variously as generous, loyal, charismatic, and also that in his own way he could be a tyrant. Have you ever experienced that last of those?

PRIME MINISTER: No. I've certainly, look Kerry was a forceful bloke. I don't think anybody would suggest otherwise and he would not want anybody to have thought otherwise. I found him a person who always spoke his mind, you always knew exactly what he thought about everything, that is how I liked him. That is what Australians liked about him. He certainly had that capacity that came out wonderfully in that parliamentary appearance where he spoke for millions in suggesting that the public wasn't so impressed about certain things happening at that time that they were lining up to donate more tax.

JOURNALIST: He certainly had a fearsome reputation, was that reputation well deserved?

PRIME MINISTER: Look, my experience with him was, is, was, as I described it. I am not here to go into all of the minutiae, different things. He was a very forthright person, he was highly intelligent, he had a great sense of humour, he was a very loyal friend and he was a very generous friend and many people who have worked for him will testify to that.

High-profile broadcaster Alan Jones, former Nine sports presenter Mike Gibson and criminal lawyer, Chris Murphy were among others who paid tribute through talkback radio .

"Kerry had been weak for some time. He died peacefully," Jones told his own radio station 2GB, while on holidays. "He died peacefully, he was with his family, he was at home. I think he was very grateful for that."

"Kerry Packer's influence on Australia has been immense and not just in a public way. He has left an indelible mark in business, sport and community service. He is someone who will truly never be forgotten," PBL's executive director, Sam Chisholm, said in a statement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,901 • Replies: 50
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:44 pm
Part of me is saying:

"Ding dong, the witch is dead!!!!!"

He was a right wing prick.

But...what a prick!

Moe Crikey:

2. The Last Australian Mogul?

By Crikey publisher Eric Beecher

As of today, the era of the bombastic, bullying, bludgeoning Australian media baron is almost over. Although Rupert Murdoch still remains, he's no longer an Australian and is ensconced in the US preoccupied with issues of control of his global empire. Meanwhile, the Fairfax dynasty has drifted apart and all the other remaining media owners, like Kerry Stokes, are essentially businessmen rather than influence brokers.

Kerry Packer was the last great Australian media ogre. He was, as his biographer Paul Barry described him on ABC Radio today, "extremely scary." He was also immensely rich, and it was the combination of those two characteristics – fear and wealth – that made Packer such an influential figure in the corridors of Australian power for three decades.

Being on the receiving end of one of the famous KP "I will bury you" speeches was regarded as the worst occupational hazard of being in the media, politics or business in Australia, although in recent years it was son James who mainly delivered them, often starting with the words "Dad has told me to tell you ..." followed by an outburst of Packer family vitriol.

At the same time there was never any doubt about the underpinning motivation of Kerry Packer's working life – making money. Financial power was always the fulcrum of his political and societal power, and no-one who worked for or with Packer was ever in any doubt about the supremacy of profit in his worldview.

The death of the Last Australian Mogul is another big step on the road to the commercial commoditisation of this country's media, and therefore a big step in depersonalising the ownership of the most influential levers in society. Politicians and academics who talk about media policy being "mogul specific" now have one less mogul to be specific about.

Packer may have been, at times, rude, arrogant, mean or belligerent. But he also loved the media and revelled in its uniqueness.

The passing of Kerry Packer could prove to be the inflection point at which the instincts and proclivities of the individual media proprietor will finally be erased, to be replaced by shareholder-driven decision-making executed by grey managers who produce media widgets.

Without Kerry Packer, warts and all, the media and journalism in Australia could be about to become just another business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The King is dead – long live the King

Michael Pascoe writes:

Everyone around the top of PBL had a flash title, but only one counted: Kerry Packer. In 2006 we'll find out which other title counts most – executive chairman, chief executive officer, or the bloke who runs CPH (the Packer family private company), Ashok Jacob.

The great hope of the various media analysts and investment bankers lies in the theory that James Packer will “put Channel 9 up for sale on the way home from the cemetery," as someone has delicately worded it.

Maybe. It's generally believed James doesn't have the emotional attachment to 9 that was attributed to his father. JP's strength and enjoyment allegedly lies in doing deals. And, in light of the One.Tel embarrassment, James has redoubled allegiance to his father's cash flow creed. Cash is the real king and everything is measured on its merits. Maybe.

But there's also a possibility that James wasn't allowed near control of 9, that he was warned off the magazines and television, a fiefdom variously granted to and taken by John Alexander. After his failure at 9, Alexander flicked that immediate responsibility on to David Gyngell and in the latest reshuffle no longer has direct carriage of ACP either.

So who wants it? In an era of evolving media and mega bets on key sports broadcasting rights, 9 carries more risk than certainty under the new generation. But what should not be overlooked is the way PBL has tried to make the most of its media synergies. The magazines, ninemsn, 9, Sky News, whatever – a core KP belief was that the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

I wouldn't want to be an investment banker betting my next bonus on the network being for sale whatever the management shuffles and aspirations.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:54 pm
Yes, I heard the news, too, Deb.

And he wasn't the nicest of people, despite what out prime minister said about him today. Rolling Eyes :

From Crikey!.com:
Tributes to Kerry Packer and his random acts of generosity have been pouring in, including one from PM John Howard and his media rival (and friend) Rupert Murdoch.

"Kerry was both a lifelong friend and a tough competitor. He was the most successful businessman of our generation," Murdoch said in a statement. "As a broadcaster, he had an uncanny knack of knowing what people across the country were thinking and this finely-tuned antennae made him the best broadcaster the country has seen."

Howard was also glowing in his praise for Packer, describing him as "one of the dominant figures, if not the dominant Australian figure of the media scene in this country for more than a generation."

"Of all the impressions he left with me, none was greater, or more indelible than his passionate commitment to the interests of Australia and the interests of the Australian people," Howard told journalists at a Kirribilli doorstop today.

"In all of the many conversations I had with him over the years, he was always concerned about what was right for this country. And the last one-on-one personal discussion we had at his home some two months ago, he was full of ideas for the future of Australia and ways in which this could be made a better country."

The closest the PM got to revealing the other side of Kerry Packer was in this exchange, which he cut short when a journalist raised the issue of Packer's dislike of paying tax:

JOURNALIST: Mr Howard, some people who knew him well have been speaking on radio this morning. Describing him variously as generous, loyal, charismatic, and also that in his own way he could be a tyrant. Have you ever experienced that last of those?

PRIME MINISTER: No. I've certainly, look Kerry was a forceful bloke. I don't think anybody would suggest otherwise and he would not want anybody to have thought otherwise. I found him a person who always spoke his mind, you always knew exactly what he thought about everything, that is how I liked him. That is what Australians liked about him. He certainly had that capacity that came out wonderfully in that parliamentary appearance where he spoke for millions in suggesting that the public wasn't so impressed about certain things happening at that time that they were lining up to donate more tax.

JOURNALIST: He certainly had a fearsome reputation, was that reputation well deserved?

PRIME MINISTER: Look, my experience with him was, is, was, as I described it. I am not here to go into all of the minutiae, different things. He was a very forthright person, he was highly intelligent, he had a great sense of humour, he was a very loyal friend and he was a very generous friend and many people who have worked for him will testify to that.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The blued bits are my emphasis.

So whose going to tell honest John what he can & can't do now? Only Rupert?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:54 pm
Snap!!! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:59 pm
Oh...he was a ****.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:01 am
So....willl anything change?

or are the boys just as bad.....and good?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:03 am
Yeah, no argument there, Deb! Evil or Very Mad
All this re-writing of history (by our PM & others) is nauseating. His great "concern" for the Australian people! What rot! He was a ruthless, power hungry bastard during his life. He cared nothing about using his "influence" to get his way.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:07 am
dlowan wrote:
So....willl anything change?

or are the boys just as bad.....and good?

Silver spoons! I imagine that their "interests" will be represented by powers behind the scene. This will be interesting to watch!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:51 am
Well I guess that the pressure on the government to ease the cross media ownership regulations will be eased, then? That's got to be a good thing.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:55 am
Is this the guy who organised a cricketing tour to South Africa in the days of the Apartheid regime?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:12 am
lmur wrote:
Is this the guy who organised a cricketing tour to South Africa in the days of the Apartheid regime?

Could well be, Imur, but I'm not certain. Not being a cricket tragic, I'm not really the best person to answer your question. Sorry. No doubt someone else will be able to before too long. Anyway, here's the sort of stuff that's clogging the Oz media at the moment:

Packer 'shaped Australian cricket'December 27, 2005 - 1:52PM/the AGE

Kerry Packer will be remembered alongside Sir Donald Bradman as one of the most influential men in cricket's history, Cricket Australia said today.

Mr Packer, who died overnight, was the creator and financial backer of the breakaway World Series Cricket competition in the 1970s.

Despite initial protests from cricket administrators, one-day matches have since become a staple of international cricket. .. <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/packer-shaped-australian-cricket/2005/12/27/1135445554085.html
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:48 am
Thanks for the link, msolga.

Not a "cricket tragic" myself - just seeing his name jogged the memory.

What is it about Australians and media moguls? Do they grow on trees over there or something?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
Yep, a mogul around every corner! Laughing
My theory is that the Packers & Murdochs got to hone their skills (media control, deals with governments, take-overs, etc) in Oz, in a small, micro setting. There aren't that many newspapers & television networks in a country with such a small population. Then, hey presto, (in the case of Murdoch, anyway) it was just a matter of applying the same methods on a macro level: The UK, followed by the US, followed by the world! Damn depressing, hey?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:22 am
Though apparently ...or so they were saying tonight....packer interfered less editorially than the arch beast, Murdoch.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:04 am
OMG, the tributes in the media!!!!! Surprised Shocked Rolling Eyes

You'd think he was god, or something! This is quite ridiculous AND nauseating! For heaven's sake, he was the wealthiest person in Oz who avoided paying almost any tax, was an addicted (?) gambler, was under a black cloud as the "goanna" (though he was "cleared" of charges) , tried to bend the existing rules by using influential friends to could gain a monopoly on the Oz media! ..... etc, etc, etc .. Rolling Eyes
Now I don't think the reputations of folk who have died should be unfairly attacked, but this grovelling & elevation to a "great Australian" who cared only for the good of all Australians is utterly ridiculous! Why on earth is the media doing this? Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:24 am
Sick making.

I confess, though, I have admiration for the bastard's guts and determination.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:45 am
I'd probably admire his g & t a lot more if it wasn't used almost exclusively for self gain, Deb. And that's fine, lots of folk are like that. But it's nauseating to watch this media transformation into some sort of selfless hero of the ordinary people. Do they think we're all stupid? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:10 am
Like David Hookes, but richer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:37 am
Oh god, "Hooksie"! Rolling Eyes The only time I've ever felt sympathy for a bouncer!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:56 am
Lol! Indeed.
0 Replies