firefox browser

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 07:51 pm
I keep seeing ads for this and am curious if anybody has experience with it or thinks it's a good idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,891 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 08:48 pm
The other people who share this computer seem to like it. I don't have a problem with it, just sticking with IE out of habit, I suppose.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 08:50 pm
I used it, and it is very nice indeed.

Why not download the free version, and have a go?

I reverted to Opera for various reasons.

I think I have a thread about it somewhere, and I know Craven has commented on the difference to me, on a thread, quite recently.

Mebbe have a search?

Here is my thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dlowan+firefox&start=0
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:34 pm
Firefox and Opera are both safer to use than Internet Explorer. I normally use Opera now, but also have Firefox and use it sometimes. I avoid Internet Explorer for several reasons, not all of which are religious.

I think Internet Explorer still loads a bit faster.
0 Replies

ripley

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:07 am
I used to use IE but then i went to opera. Used it for about a year till it slowed down for me. I then tested firefox out. I was impressed as i could play around with it such as firefox extensions and i heard it was safer than IE. I still use firefox and opera as my second browser. However, for some reason, firefox has slowed down a bit for me [but you can speed firefox easily] but i still stick to it as i'm used to it.

The only problem are certain applications such as spyware programs. There are little on the net that supports firefox, most support IE only [i find anyway]. But as the above memebr said, you should try firefox yourself. You can always go back to IE if you wish.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:19 am
I have been using firefox for about 2 weeks, encounter very few problems.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:20 am
I have been using firefox for over a year.

It has a couple of idiosyncracies but works well. Tabbed browsing is great. I have to keep IE around for certain occassions like some streaming video and certain Microsoft sites that require it.

One complaint is the functions in the reply box on A2K. I can't just hilight to do bold and quote but have to do it manually. Probably an easy fix but I haven't delved into it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:20 am
Same with Opera!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:07 am
I've used Firefox for a while now and really like it. At first there were no pop-up ads, but now there are a few.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:54 am
parados wrote:
I have been using firefox for over a year.

It has a couple of idiosyncracies but works well. Tabbed browsing is great. I have to keep IE around for certain occassions like some streaming video and certain Microsoft sites that require it.

One complaint is the functions in the reply box on A2K. I can't just hilight to do bold and quote but have to do it manually. Probably an easy fix but I haven't delved into it.

Here is the easy fix: Try BBCode Firefox Extension. That's what I use. Pretty useful, IMO.

(Yes .... It does work with ver. 1.5)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 11:41 am
I get an error message "does not work with ver 1.5"
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
I've had Firefox for 2-3 months now, and really like it.

I'm going to try Ticomaya's suggestion, as I too have had the problem with underlining, etc on A2K.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I get an error message "does not work with ver 1.5"

I don't know why. Works just fine on mine.

Note: I did have the BBCode extension installed PRIOR to my upgrade to ver. 1.5. I don't know if that would make any difference.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:51 pm
Dys: Do you have BBCode version 0.4.1.3?

Try this. Open your "Extensions" window, and click on "Find Updates". Then restart FF.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:24 pm
I've been using Firefox since the summer/late spring. Still use IE for a few games that demand it - but prefer Firefox. My puter at home is much less fussy with Firefox than it tends to be with IE.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:44 pm
I have the entire family converted to FF and opera except for me
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:57 pm
I'm on firefox now. Can you tell the difference?
0 Replies

kevmeist

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
I use Firefox exclusively now. There is a Firefox extension for running specific pages using IE. After installing the extension, if a page doesn't work (due to ActiveX for example), just right click on the page and tell it to use IE for that specific page. Whenever you go to that page after that, Firefox will fire up IE for you. Neat!

Kevin
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:37 am
firefox browser
I tried the link, Tico, but got the same "does not work with version 1.5" message that dyslexia got.. Also, in the comments section below the download link at least one person has requested a version that does work with 1.5, so it doesn't seem to be just me or dyslexia.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:46 am
I only used it three or four days, then reverted to the original system.
0 Replies