Alcohol: A gift or a curse???

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
spendius wrote:

No-not seeing double.I meant that it didn't take me so many puke-ups (less than 10) to accept the message regarding alcohol that my body was insisting on telling me.And I never allow myself to over-ride messages from that source.

Alcohol is beneficial in moderation.I actually believe that so also is tobacco.

So spendius, have you decided on what you want written on your gravestone?

There was a woman (Audrey Kishline) a while back who babbled about moderation drinking. She even penned a book about it and life seemed good; but then one night she drank a little extra and got in her car...she is in jail now because she managed to kill some people while driving that car while drunk. In other words, your moderation deal might very well end up blowing up in your face somewhere down the line and fail you. You know that alcohol has caused you harm, so why tempt fate?

Look up Audrey Kishline and her Moderation Management, the results will leave you stunned. Here's one article... Kishline arrest Most comical is how her devoted followers try to justify what happened.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
Sturgis,
Are you aware that the medicinal properties of alcohol are mentioned 191 times in the Old and New Testaments?
Surely this can't be a MISTAKE??!?!?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:28 am
I only drive during working hours.I dispensed with motor cars a long while ago.

I'm afraid to say that Ms Kishline is an incident from which nothing of use or interest can be derived.

Any choice we make has the potential to blow up in our faces.I daresay thousands of people have been killed or maimed by non-drinkers driving to church or the shops.Possibly hundreds of thousands.
I don't need somebody to write a book about each of them in order to have a sense of proportion concerning Ms Kishline.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:40 am
spendius wrote:
I only drive during working hours.I dispensed with motor cars a long while ago.

I'm afraid to say that Ms Kishline is an incident from which nothing of use or interest can be derived.Any choice we make has the potential to blow up in our faces.I daresay thousands of people have been killed or maimed by non-drinkers driving to church or the shops.Possibly hundreds of thousands.
I don't need somebody to write a book about each of them in order to have a sense of proportion concerning Ms Kishline.

You are now certifiably delusional. A great deal can be derived from Ms.Kishline's outcome and if you are unable to see that, well, then you are clearly living in some corner of la-la land. Take it and see it...she believed in moderation, and it worked...for a while...then she erred and went too far. You act as if this can never happen to you, as though you are some how above and beyond that possible sort of action. Ms. Kishline no doubt once felt the same way. There are persons I have met over the years who have said they will never drink again. They swear up and down that they no how destructive it has been within their own life and yet, one day, there they are drunk and dissheveled and muttering incoherently...a day later they have no recollection of their behavior...this could be you. I am not saying it is a guarantee, but it can happen and sadly it happens most often to those who are convinced they will never make these tragic errors. I make no such claim about my future because I know for a fact that it could happen.

As to your 'dispensed with motor cars a long while ago' it would take you a zillionth of a second in a drunken stupor to commandeer (steal) the car of some other person and drive off in it...trust me on this one, I did it, and I never even had a license to drive.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:02 am
I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing as stealing someone's car.

I think your first sentence is calculated to have people treat what you say with scant respect.I certainly don't understand how you can derive such an immoderate conclusion from my previous post.

As for "drunken stupors"-my body doesn't allow them to happen.Nor will ever.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:10 am
spendius wrote:
I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing as stealing someone's car.

As for "drunken stupors"-my body doesn't allow them to happen.Nor will ever.

For your sake I hope you are right...there are far too many examples of people out there who said these same things and one day found they had crossed the boundary. Some of these people are in jail, some are dead.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:12 am
spendius wrote:
Whether or not we are alcoholics is a subject which often comes up in conversation.This alone suggests that we haven't made our minds up.But when I think of all the other things I'm addicted to 3 and a 1/2 pints a night and a good laugh (usually) doesn't seem too bad and I feel absolutely no need whatsoever to consult anyone about it.If that constitutes denial then I must be in denial and long may it last.

It's the men addicted to women I feel most sorry for.

Why do you need alcohol to make you laugh spendius?

Men addicted to women, I have that problem, but I don't want to change it. :wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:45 am
Mathos wrote-

Quote:
Why do you need alcohol to make you laugh spendius?

Men addicted to women, I have that problem, but I don't want to change it.

I think that a moderate dose of a narcotic,and we English have chosen alcohol,causes one to see things more clearly and to formulate one's reactions to those things more precisely and as the things are funny they cause one to laugh.Further to that,one finds oneself less inhibited about commenting on these funny things and with other men in the same condition,as happens in pubs,one can have a fine old time.

On your second comment I will say this.I have already said earlier on here that I felt sorry for men who are addicted to women.I know that your thought sounds very pretty,not to say self congratulatory, but I'm afraid it does rather patronise women.

But I will refrain from bringing intellectual considerations to bear on the matter because I fear that were I to do so it may result in all your hair standing on end,turning white and smoke rising from it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:53 am
Sturgis wrote:
it would take you a zillionth of a second in a drunken stupor to commandeer (steal) the car of some other person and drive off in it...trust me on this one, I did it, and I never even had a license to drive.

Laughing
I would have paid money to see that.

I was at bush gardens (where they give you all this free beer) once. They have all these peacocks wandering around.

It's damn near impossible to chase down and catch one of those things.

Damn near impossible, but not totally unheard of.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:45 pm
I can honestly say I've never done anything drunk I'd not have done sober. And have never done anything that was "bad". I am a pretty responsible drunk.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:06 pm
I agree Bella although I have done a good few things when drunk that I wouldn't have done sober.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:10 pm
Oh I've done some dumb things for sure....but nothing so awful I was embarrassed when sober.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:10 pm
Which says immediately that alcohol changes your actions....take heed, that is a warning sign.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:21 pm
Gee Sturgie-there are warning signs everywhere you look.You would be catatonic if you took notice of them all and so would the economy if everybody did.

Bella-

I didn't say I was embarrassed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:25 pm
spendius wrote:
Gee Sturgie-there are warning signs everywhere you look.You would be catatonic if you took notice of them all and so would the economy if everybody did.

There, there spendius...keep on soaking your brain in death sauce. You see, right here you have again shown me your rapid loss of connection with reality. Here we are discussing alcohol and alcoholism and you go into a rant about economics and catatonic schizophrenia.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
spendius wrote:

Bella-

I didn't say I was embarrassed.

I didn't say you did.

I just said that I've never done anything that I wouldn't have done sober. Even though they were dumb things.

And technically Sturgis, it doesn't change my behavior. Only enhances it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:29 pm
as if catatonic schizophrenia was a problem.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:33 pm
It sure is dys and especially if everybody had it unless,of course,the smoking ruin solution is considered to be not a problem which is a nihilist position I'm not in favour of.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:33 pm
Quote:
Alcohol: A gift or a curse???

I tend to receive alcohol as a gift. I hope it is not cursed.
When I re-gift that same alcohol, I do not curse it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
dyslexia wrote:
as if catatonic schizophrenia was a problem.

as long as they stay quiet, and I'm not around when they poop.

alcohol changes everyones actions to some degree sturgis, but for most people that's not a problem.

I mean, even those who have a glass of wine and take the notion to put their feet up while visiting someone is changing their actions from what they might normally be doing.

Alcohol does make you toxic, that's true, but most people can handle a small degree.

For instance, I can vouche for the fact that Bella will jump up and do a table dance, swinging her shirt over her head, without any assistance from booze.
After a few drinks, all we've manage to do is to get her to kick off her shoes.

I guess I just don't have a hard line that it's bad for everyone.

Spendius - Are you Jack Webbs?

I'll bet you are. I'll bet it's not dys like some have been saying.
There's just too much mysogynism in Jack Webbs to be Dys.

I thought of this, because most of the time when I'd be reading Jack Webbs I'm thinking he sounds crocked.
0 Replies