To Do a Christmas Tree or Not?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:40 pm
I'm allergic to real evergreens, so the hamburgers had to go to artificial some years ago. I've got their 40 year-old faux tree, and a matching one I found at Goodwill years ago. Haven't put either up since I got the dogs. Bailey was far too interested the first year, and I've never really thought about putting them up since. Boxes of decorations in the basement - untouched in 5 or 6 years.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:51 pm
phoenix : did the tamiflu help ?
i asked our physician last year about tamiflu . his answer was , that he didn't think it would be a good idea to take tamiflu unless one really had the flu .
he felt quite strongly that iif one had just a "bad cold" , it would be wrong to take tamiflu - possible side effects - and that it is difficult to differentiate between the flu and a cold in the early stages ???
luckily , our flu shot worked , we just got a cold ...
as far as tamiflu and avian flu are concerned , medical opinions seem to be all over the place .
(should have posted this on the "avian flu" thread ).
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:21 pm
<Didn't work with the avian flu according to today's news.>
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
Christmas, and Christmas trees, seem to be on a lot of folks minds these days. "Christmas is a religious holiday, the most important date on the Christian calendar, and shouldn't be defiled." "Christmas and Christmas gift giving is essential to the retail economy and should be promoted to the max." "Christmas was stolen by those pesky Christians who don't appreciate its value to the Olde Religions of Europe." "Christmas is Humbug, gross sentimentality and fine excuse to pick a man's pockets." "Christmas is about the dreams of childhood, and should be respected by all." I suppose we could fill a page or more with these varied views about Christmas, and all of them probably have some measure of validity.

Christmas is one element, a sub-set, of Western Culture and Civilization. If there were no Christmas, our Civilization and cultural identity would still exist, but it would be diminished. Like it or not, Christmas has been one of the most beloved holidays in our calendar. It existed before Christianity came on the scene, and became emblematic of the Christian as the civilization of Rome deteriorated into feudalism. It has always been a bright spot of light in the darkness of Winter, a promise that a new season and beginning will shortly arrive. From the beginning Christmas has been a time of gift-giving, of sharing our blessings with those we love. Christmas is a religious holiday when the mysteries of our being is celebrated.

Over the long centuries, Christmas has evolved and adopted bits and pieces of European folkways. We have the Yule log from the far North to warm us through the dark coldness. The evergreen and Christmas tree remind us that life will endure, and we decorate with lights to remind us of the stars and the life-giving sun. Santa, Father Christmas, et al. are the personification of the season and holiday of benevolence. Candy-canes and stockings stuffed with sweets and toys bring joy to the hearts of children, our best loved and the hopes that our best wishes for the world will live on.

Christmas is a tradition that reflects the humanistic values of Western Civilization. It is an annual renewal of our dedication to make the world a better place, a place where justice, goodness, and peace will prevail. Our celebration of Christmas each year is another link that connects us to all of our ancestors who have gone before, and to all our generations to come who will also celebrate this ancient holiday. Christmas is about the triumph of love over hate, and it keeps alive the hope that this coming year will see the beginning of universal peace. Christmas is a dream we should cherish, whether we believe in it or not.

I'm a Buddhist and a product of Western Civilization. Our family has always celebrated Christmas for what it is, not as just a Christian religious event. As I've gotten older and larger around the waist, and with my round features accentuated by a long white beard, children of a certain age believe that I'm Santa. I often at this time of year wear a fur-lined red cap, and carry as many little treats and candies as my pockets will hold. I ask for the children's wishes, give them little things, and am rewarded by shining eyes and large smiles. Occasionally, I find children who say, "my family doesn't believe in Christmas". Sometimes the child is of a different religious faith, or of a Christian sect that shuns a celebration that doesn't meet their theological requirements. The little gift I give may be the only Christmas present the child will get. That's sad, because most children living in our society will in a few days be sporting shiny bikes, new dollies, and a multitude of toys. The children will gather and compare their gifts, and some will stand at the outer edge of the conversations wishing that Santa had visited them to. To be excluded from ones school mates, especially when you are six or seven, hurts no matter how your parents explain it. To celebrate Christmas is one of our great opportunities to come together, to become one with our culture and civilization.

Put up a tree, even if it is a broom handle with limbs made of coat-hangers taped to the trunk. Decorate "your" tree with shiny baubles and strings of hand-strung popcorn. Give something to those you love in remembrance of your own childhood. Mix yourself into the Christmas crowds and sing along with them the traditional songs of the seasons. Burn a candle in your window to light up the Winter night. Turn off the television for awhile and roast marshmallows the burning yule log with your children. Put them to bed early, and secretly wrap the presents that will make their morning, and yours, memorable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
Quote:
phoenix : did the tamiflu help ?

hamburger- Sure it did. I was very careful to determine that I did indeed have the flu. After I took the drug, the symptoms were much milder, and the condition resolved itself more quickly than expected.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:55 pm
phoenix : thanks for your reply ! i think i'll - carefully - bug our physician early in the new year . hbg

(may not work because physicians have been asked not to prescribe tamiflu , so stocks will not be run down - will have to see)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:11 pm
Asherman, I appreciate your post and your perspective...

... and a Merry Christmas to you as well.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:22 pm
For me and my family, we celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ. Sure, we know that this is not the actual date of his birth, but does the actual date matter when we celebrate the same day each year?

Yes, we decorate a Christmas tree. Although, it is a very realistic artificial tree as I see no need to cut a tree to be used as a decoration for a week and discard it. We decorate the tree because we enjoy it and it has become tradition for us to do so.

Jeremiah is talking about using the tree as an idol. We do not do that, we use a tree as a traditional decoration regardless of it's origins. Many of the things that we all take for granted as Christmas tradition started in a pagan way and were adopted in one form or another in an attempt to take away from the pagan origins. Acceptance of these traditions does not take away from the true meaning of Christmas for Christians.

Christmas is a time of joy, peace, love and togetherness. Whether we hoist up a tree (hopefully artificial) or not does not take away from this. Christmas brings families and friends together and, in some cases, provides the impetus to mend rifts that have occurred in the past.

Some even find themselves in church for possibly the second or third time in the year. Nothing wrong with that. As long as they go willingly and are not dragged in kicking and screaming.

The Lord wants that all should gather in his name and for the world to be saved. He desires this, but does not force it. Neither should we.

A very Merry Christmas to all.

If you prefer... Happy Holidays. Happy Hanukkah or just Seasons Greetings.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:54 pm
I really appreciate everyone's replies. Asherman, I really like what you said. I can see you making those children smile. Bless you for that!

Intrepid, I follow pretty much the same sentiment as you do. I haven't put up a tree for a few years but it's because of the cats. They have a tendency to play with the shiny things.

The most important thing for me is to remember the Savior's birth and the gift of salvation.

So for whatever the holidays means to everyone, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc. Goodwill to all and Peace on Earth.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:01 pm
My cat plays with the balls too. It is one of the small pleasures she gets at 18 years of age. We mostly put the tree up for her, if truth be told.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:13 pm
I tried it for the first two years I had the shelter. The second year, I had to pick the tree up off the floor more often than not! The kittens would climb up in there and bat at everything and ooops! there it went!

Less work for me!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:15 pm
Gee, Momma..... I thought you would at least get a chuckle out of the first sentence. Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:19 pm
Intrepid,

I was just coming back in here to tell you that! I was laughing when I typed the other and totally forgot to tell you!http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/057.gif
0 Replies

mags314

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 11:49 am
I put up an artificial tree, butt when I was younger I had to have a live one. We took it afterward to a big city park where it was ground into mulch. The older I get, the more convenience I want. So this year I even got an artificial one with the lights already on it. As to the pagan significance of the tree, I doubt that many people give that a thought, and that's fine with me either way. It's a wonderful symbol of the season of light in the heart of a dark winter.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:08 pm
Very nicely put mags314.

Love that baby's picture!
0 Replies

mags314

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:41 pm
Frankly, with this avatar, it's hard to be taken seriously in most forum discussions!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 04:54 pm
I can imagine. But, with that avatar, it's hard to imagine you being harsh in any of them. I love it!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:59 pm
Well, you certainly got my attention. :-)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:57 pm
Three days past the solstice and all thru the board
Not a poster was stirring, there seemed such accord

Now Joe Sixpack and I are off with a cheer
Watching the Seahawks whilst mugging our beer

Perhaps at your door some folks will wassail ya
Or somehow involve you in this years' Saturnalia

But the truth of it is; well, what can I say
If not for the pagans, 'twould be just a day

But we do love you guys. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
I have taken mags seriously years before a2k was a twinkle in craven's eye.
0 Replies