Photograph on canvas..

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:17 pm
Yeah, im soooo late in this gift giving thing .. I cant even believe it.

But, i thought of a great gift idea for MIL and I have been hunting through the websites I have found for weeks.
I have contacted some and , just by their responces, I have NOT found a single company I am willing to work with.

This is getting frustrating..

What I need is a company who will put my photos on canvas.
Stretch them over a 'frame shape' wooden back ground ..... or something.
Im not sure how they mount them..

MIL has these 3 pictures of her with my husband as a baby and -OH MY GOD- they are beautiful!! she treasures those more then anything in the world.

What I would like to give her is 2 of those.

I have a picture of her holding Bean a few hours after she was born that is a WONDERFUL picture.
And then I need to take another picture of Bean now..

Both of those mounted and printed on canvas will be perfect for her.

but.. god love it.. I CANT FIND A COMPANY I WANT TO WORK WITH

anyone know of a company who does this and doesnt charge 200 bucks for a 10x10??
Or who doesnt claim to take 2 months in production?
I have no problem with the photos arriving when they will. And I told MIL that her present WILL be late because it has to be made. So timing isnt too big of a deal.. I just dont want a company who will take my order today then ship in... july ... of some other year.. Confused

alzheimers is to blame for trying to put together a christmas gift a little more then 72 hours before christmas.. >sigh<
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,915 • Replies: 20
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:56 pm
Having a print transferred to canvas can be really expensive. They can also get torn up pretty easily as the surface is quite delicate.

Have you considered canvas look photo paper?

There is probably a custom color lab in your city that can print to "canvas" paper.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
oh yeah. These are very expencive.
We found a company that will do an 8X10 for 40 bucks..

since, at that size, I would want to get about 4 of them, i kept looking.

i really want two 10x10's

I have never heard of canvas looking paper.. ?
Ill have to do some quick googling on that
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
Two words: transfer paper. Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
I did some really cool pictures just running the 8 X 10 sheet of canvas through my printer. I have an HP960c, and it did a great job.

Just an idea....

Also tried it on watercolor paper with the photo's altered through a photo software.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:00 pm
Check Michael's in the paint section for the paper. It comes in tablets of 10 -20 sheets that you can tear out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
You could probably do it on a color copier at Kinko's, then.

Sorry.

FedEx/Kinko's.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:22 pm
oo.. maybe Im describing the WRONG paper..

cuz what I want aint paper..
its cloth
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
No, I know what you mean. What I said above applies. It is canvas, same as the ones stretched on wood frames for artists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:36 pm
I've done a couple of photos on (heavy) canvas paper (HP 6540): no difference when phramed to real canvas.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:40 am
ahh.. ok. I see what you mean now.

I just learned what this process is called
Geekley Gallery wrap

hehe.. Mister Wolf told me this morning.. and for some reason, that word sent me into fits of laughter..
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:09 am
Kinkos prints on canvas... probably pretty expensive though.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:16 pm
Yeah Kinko's does offer that, not sure how much it is though. I do know they can go up to very large poster sizes. Also I believe Ritz camera and Wolf camera stores also offer the photo on canvas thing.

Something else you might be interested in is this new tapestry or throw blanket idea. You can buy this little kit($80 for the throw blanket or $120 for the tapestry) and you send in a copy of the picture and they send you a full size throw blanket with the photo woven into it. They look very nice and I am planning on getting a few for different people(when I can find the money).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:19 pm
Wow, so they're 100% cotton or whatever? (I've done photo transfer stuff but it tends to make things stiff and uncomfortable...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:20 pm
I just realized that if they accept photos, they'd probably accept anything scannable -- you could do kid art, or design on yourself, or whatever. Cool!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:23 pm
It is possible to have prints done on canvas, wood, or just about any surface these days. Many professional print shops have printers that can do this. A flat bed printer (inkjet) can print on just about any surface. It isn't necessarily cheap but I get large canvas photo banners done for about $25 per sq ft, More if they do smaller pieces because you are paying for a set up charge. The repeat of the same photo should bring the price down on the next ones.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:25 pm
Looks like cotton is extra, but available.

Cool!

http://www.customcreationsunltd.com/photo_blankets.shtml
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:20 am
wow!
that is a great idea.

( yeah, i STILL have not submitted a photo to be scanned) oy vey..
cant find one I can afford #1 , #2 - dont have a picture BIG enough. I hear so many companies say they cant guarantee small photos to come out as desired due to 'stretch work' im paranoid..
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
I think Snappysnaps in the UK do pics on canvas.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:20 pm
Here I found an example for the throw...not the same kit I saw but the same end result. I hope it's ok to put up this link and I hope it works...
http://www.southernchrm.com/Open-line/store/commerce/keywords=Portrait
0 Replies