Pretty Persuasion

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:02 pm
This movie starts as a dark comedy centered around a self-centered, manipulative, spoiled Beverly Hills prep-school girl who schemes to frame an innocent teacher for sexual abuse, because he made her best friend cry. The movie elicits a smirk as one sees how, for being a self-centered, spoiled prep-school girl, she really isn't all that bad, and one kind of feels for her as she loses control of her own intrigues.

The movie wipes that stupid smirk off of your face as its twist and killer hook reveals itself.

This movie is a cross between all of those bitchy teen movies, and "In the Company of Men."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:39 am
Re: Pretty Persuasion
I rented it last week. I thought it was good. The main character doesn't look like she fits the part until she speaks. She could easily play a sweet innocent girl with her looks, but that kind of added to the movie.

Anyway, I thought it was good, but I don't like the way it ended. I was expecting some violence to close out the movie. She should have gone on a rampage. I was disappointed.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:10 am
bump
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:51 am
rr wrote:
Anyway, I thought it was good, but I don't like the way it ended. I was expecting some violence to close out the movie. She should have gone on a rampage.

Well, she did get what she wanted, which was revenge primarily, and then that acting spot. She confirmed her antipathy towards other people pretty early on in the movie, when she empathizes with the serial killer she sees in the news. She had no need to go on a rampage because that would not have been a means towards her ends.
0 Replies

livingthedream

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
was is an independent film? I have never heard of it but it souds really good. does it feel at all like Election- differnt plot but as I read your synopsis i kinda thought back to that.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
I'm not sure if it was an indie. One of the reviewers on IMDB said, "A fine mixture of "Election" and "Heathers."

It's much, much darker than Election, closer to Heathers.

I thought of "In the Company of Men" as I sat watching it, because of its shared theme of completely amoral revenge.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:38 pm
Rented it this weekend. Enjoyed it a lot.

The rampage wasn't needed because the sub plot covered that. She really wasn't much different from the school shooter, she just used a different weapon.
0 Replies

livingthedream

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:15 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
I'm not sure if it was an indie. One of the reviewers on IMDB said, "A fine mixture of "Election" and "Heathers."

It's much, much darker than Election, closer to Heathers.

I thought of "In the Company of Men" as I sat watching it, because of its shared theme of completely amoral revenge.

Cool I'll check it out. thanks for red flagging it!
0 Replies