Is bueaty a necessary qualification for love or marriage?

skartykn

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:08 am
ehBeth wrote:
skartykn - Readers Digest is exactly that "a digest". It publishes condensed (edited) versions of articles from a variety of sources.

So, the Readers Digest version is a condensed/shortened version.

It is a common phrase for some North Americans.

Giving you the Readers Digest version is the same as saying they're giving you the condensed/edited/shortened version of something.

~~~~~~

Welcome to Able2Know
Very Happy

Thank u ehbeth
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:36 am
Good to meet you - hope to see you around the boards in the future.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:23 am
Chai Tea wrote:

telling someone the reader's digest version is cutting out all the unnecessary blah blah blah.

Yeah, kinda exactly what I said above.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
When English is a second or third language <as it is for me>, blah blah blah doesn't help too much in a translation :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
Where are you from ehBeth?

What languages do you speak?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
I live in Canada, Chai Tea.

German was my first language, then Portuguese, then English, then French, then Dutch ...

I still understand all of them, can still write in three of them - but prefer to speak only English now.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:00 pm
Five languages...

Anyways, physical attraction may be one of the reasons a person first fell in love, but as time grows, physical attraction does not matter. At least, that's what I've been told. Laughing

I've always been disturbed by the concept of beauty. People have said that there is a standard to what we call beautiful, but even that varies. Also, certainly people do have different opinions on beauty. From experience, what we are used to seeing on television or on what other people thinks may affect what one thinks.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:08 am
Beauty has to be a necessary qualification for falling in love but absence of beauty does not have to be a necessary qualification for falling out of love because you might start to find other things even more beautiful than the skin deep beauty in the person.

The reason beauty has to be a necessary qulification for falling in love is because, let's take the example of God - God is good right? But if God was ugly I would not fall in love with Him even though He's God and all good.

As for "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder." No it does not. That is because you also SEE the same thing as I do and so both should find it beautiful if beauty lied in the eyes, but we don't, and have our own idea of beauty. Therefore, beauty lies in the mind of the beholder, which is hidden.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:34 pm
Interesting take, Beena. Completely opposite my own views, but good to see some variation of opinions here nonetheless.
Razz
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:46 pm
Yours was pretty interesting too although I don't agree with it.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:35 am
No of course beauty isnt the all important thing,
money and power also have a huge part to play.
0 Replies