Spyware & Pop-ups

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
During this calendar year I have been having a terrible time with pop-ups, especially the "Win" variety (WINZIP and WINFIX). I got some excellent advice from the Able-2-Know volunteers, especially Timberlandko. I recently installed Spy-Sweeper, which I understand is one of the more powerful of the anti-spyware - and I have been told perhaps too powerful for "home" users. My problem is this: I do a lot of writing, and used DICTIONARY.COM quite a lot, running in the background until I use it (quite frequently). It doesn't pop up anymore, and it is my guess that Spy Sweeper is suppressing it. Is there some way I can make "Dictionary.com" an exception so that Spy Sweeper does not keep it off the screen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 532 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:24 pm
Re: Spyware & Pop-ups
I use Dictionary.com almost daily and I wasn't aware that the site used pop-up ads. I use Google toolbar to block my pop-ups and it has a built in spell checker that works better than all other spell checkers I've seen. So whenever I need the definition for a word I just click on my Favorites icon for dictionary.com. Everything meshes smoothly for me.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:34 pm
Dictionary.com
Roverroad:
Thanks for your reply. What I meant is that Dictionary.com is itself a pop-up. Although I don't know for sure that the pop-up remover is the cause, the problem with not being able to access Dictionary.com started immediately after the pop-up remover was installed. I don't know if your "set-up" is different from mine, but my Dictionary.com loaded in the beginning when everything else did, then was running in the background for those (many) times when I needed it.
0 Replies

gbob

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:17 am
if u disable the pop up remover and then try to access dictionary .com this will tell u if it is indeed the pop up remover diabling dictionary.com
0 Replies