Things people posted that would make perfect sig lines

cyphercat

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
Has the Wabbit always had that shifty periodic wink?! I feel like I'm losing my grip!

At least she winked at me to let me know she was just funnin about the 'imp of satan' thing...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 01:52 pm
cyphercat wrote:
At least she winked at me to let me know she was just funnin about the 'imp of satan' thing...

She wasn't. The shifty wink thing is actually meant to add extra intimidation and confusion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 02:47 pm
WHAT shifty goddamn wink?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:55 pm
Eeeek! It's gone! It winked, I swear it did--I- I- I'm not crazy, I'm not, damnit!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 09:06 pm
Yes you are.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 10:06 pm
Noooooooo! <weeping brokenly>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:11 pm
I can hear you purring from here, so don't come the raw prawn with ME!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:20 pm
Never trust anyone with more than 35,000 posts.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
"Come the raw prawn"? Rabbits use the weirdest damn expressions...I notice that with my rabbit roommates, too.

My cats are always looking at the rabbits with this "My God, you blithering fool," look on their faces that makes it clear the rabbits are babbling in animal speak.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:49 am
Or the cats are too dumb to comprehend.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
I'm still waiting for an expanation of "come the red prawn."

Is that dirty?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm
The silly bunny can't explain what it meant, too busy smoking between carrots...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:17 pm
I seem to remember a giant prawn sculpture somewhere in australia...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:54 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I'm still waiting for an expanation of "come the red prawn."

Is that dirty?

"Raw" prawn, and no.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:03 pm
This is from a show I saw last night about a fashion designer I really like. He's very talented, creative, snarky and has that great bitchy sense of humor that some gay men have.

At one point he says,

"God is punishing me because I'm an atheist."

If there are any atheists out there, that would make a great sig line.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:08 pm
This doesn't seem to be the big prawn sculpture that I remember, but perhaps the earlier photo was taken from a different angle in different light conditions.,,
http://www.coastalsurvey.com/travel/australia/big_oz.htm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:27 pm
Cute:

http://www.fork.net/jessdabro/images/illust_prawn_lg.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:09 pm
Boom's take my husband thread is wonderful fodder.

boomerang wrote:
I could probably deal with a giant baby, mac, it's the arsehole part that always gets me.

boomerang wrote:
When I grow up I'm going to be littlek.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
You folk not worked out "come the raw prawn" yet?

I will be kind:

"In contemporary Australian English, however, the combination raw prawn is more likely to be heard in the idiom to come the raw prawn (on, over, with, etc.) meaning 'to attempt to deceive (a person); to misrepresent a situation'. The idiom is typically used in negative constructions - don't come the raw prawn with me. According to G.A. Wilkes, this expression originated in WW2 Services slang (A Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms 1978) and indeed the Australian National Dictionary 's first citation for it is 1942:

They argue there for hours - They start at early morn; Till a loud disgusted voice drawls out, `don't come the old raw prawn'. A.J. McIntyre, Putting over Burst

The following citations indicate how the idiom is typically used in Australian English:

1963 J. Wynnum, No Boats to Burn: `Don't come the raw prawn stunt with me,' the girl cried. 'That feller wouldn't shout his old woman a glass of water if she was dying of thirst out in the middle of the Nullabor!'

1973 Woman's Day (Sydney): `Don't come the raw prawn with me, mate,' he said. `I can get it back home at Woollies for that price.'

1983 Canberra Times 17 Nov.: Sceptical groans which were, if I translate them correctly, requests for Mr Hawke to stop coming the raw prawn."

"come the raw prawn (Aus) expr v :
attempt to cheat or trick, usu. used as an accusation, “don’t come the raw prawn”."
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:39 pm
see, I thought it sounded like something to do with trying to decieve, but WHY? What on earth do raw prawns have to do with trickery?

Now, if it was something like, "Don't play the rabbit with ME!" that I'd understand.
0 Replies