Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2022 02:31 pm
jcboy wrote:

That boy aint right in the head the little pud pounder Razz

Source
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 09:21 am
@tsarstepan,
izzythepush wrote:

Yesterday I drove a Brazilian to the airport.

That's not a euphamism for some sort of sexual act.

Source
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2023 11:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Lenoralawn wrote:

I've already had a young whipper snapper come into my life at least once.

Source
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 01:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Leadfoot wrote:

I know the stream of consciousness mitigates against it, but Paragraphs damn it!

Source
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 09:54 am
@tsarstepan,
#FlashbackFriday
edgarblythe wrote:

Let the nattering begin.

Source
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2023 08:55 am
@tsarstepan,
jespah wrote:

Well, those are certainly all words

Source
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2023 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
izzythepush wrote:

We call it Pancake Day, so I will be making pancakes.

Source
izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2023 11:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Not just me.

Quote:
Olney: The town where a pancake race is a global event

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/120C5/production/_128652937_papancake4.jpg.webp
The "ladies of Olney" embark on the annual race in an undated archive photo

By Orla Moore
BBC News
The market town of Olney in Buckinghamshire claims to hold the oldest annual pancake race in the world, dating back to 1445. Open to the "ladies of Olney only", the race has endured a friendly rivalry with a small city in Kansas, USA. So what makes this pancake race so special?

The people of Olney take their annual Shrove Tuesday pancake race very seriously indeed.

Dubbed the oldest recorded in the world, the run dates back to 1445 and the War of the Roses, and has taken place every year since it was revived in 1948.

Even in the throes of coronavirus lockdown, a solitary pan-bearer dressed up and ran the 415-yard course in 2021 so the tradition wouldn't be broken.

But it has to be done right. There are rules.

"It's women only - and you have to have lived or worked in Olney for at least three months," says Ruth Martin, of the Olney pancake race committee.

"You have to wear a skirt, and you are provided with an apron and headscarf and a pancake pan, but you need to bring your own pancake.

"You toss it at the start - and you have to be able to toss it at the end."

The course is 415 yards - or almost 380 metres - so it's not a quick dash.

"You need to pace yourself or you run out of steam," Ms Martin adds.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/12120/production/_128661047_92c476f1-a3c2-4ba1-bdd0-54af1bd40255.jpg.webp
Katie Godof, far right, scooped the 2022 win in a time of 70 seconds

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/17F7/production/_128653160_pa-24424361pancake1.jpg.webp
Janet Bunker, 16, wins the women's Shrove Tuesday pancake race in 1966

With the sounding of the church Shriving Bell, runners start from the pedestrian crossing by Olney market and make their way to the church door of St Peter and St Paul's - a route that involves the closure of the main A509 through the town.

And you can't enter the race if you've already won it three times - like the 2022 winner, Katie Godof.

Shrove Tuesday is traditionally the day when Christians use up sweet or fatty foods in preparation for the period of Lent fasting before Easter, with pancakes a quick and simple solution.

Folklore says the Olney tradition started in the 15th Century when a harassed housewife, rushing to attend church on Shrove Tuesday, ran to the service with a frying pan still in her hand.

It's not the only reason Olney is famous.

This year marks the 250th anniversary of the hymn Amazing Grace, which was written in the town by its curate, Rev John Newton, for his sermon at St Peter and St Paul's on 1 January 1773.

More than 70 years ago, newspaper reports of the Olney pancake race also piqued the interest of officials in the city of Liberal, Kansas, who presented the Buckinghamshire town with a challenge.

Liberal is the home of Dorothy's House - a museum replica of the Kansas home featured in the 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz.

Since 1950, the two places have competed in their own transatlantic pancake race, recording their times and holding an international video call to present prizes.

Liberal runners have so far won 39 races, with Olney playing catch-up with 31.

In 2022, the winner from Liberal was Whitney Hay in a time of 67 seconds. Olney's winner Katie Godof managed 70 seconds.

"We link up on the evening of the pancake race and compare times. It's fiercely contested every year," Ms Martin adds.

"An ambassador for Liberal is coming over for the race this year, so we have a good reason to try and beat them this time."

The American organisers describe the pancake race rivalry as a "friendly little competition" between Liberal and Olney, and "still the only race of its kind on the planet".

"It's not just a race," Ms Martin says.

"There's something so quintessentially Olney about it. Everyone will just pause in the middle of the day, literally stopping the traffic.

"We have a super community here. Everyone just comes together for that moment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64647048

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2023 10:09 am
Arthurzig wrote:

Hi,
nice to upon you! Frustrate me originate myselft

[url=It will likely be a deleted thread as it's poorly written spam]Source: Don't worry about it. Likely a spambot[/url]
0 Replies

MsKnowledgebased

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2023 11:17 pm
@nimh,
Signature: Smokes His Last Cigarette
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2023 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Not just me.

Quote:
Olney: The town where a pancake race is a global event

I'm from Kansas, and attended law school with a gal from Liberal, who was a past winner of the Pancake Race. She was a celebrity in Liberal, and had the heaviest western Kansas accent I've ever heard.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2023 12:09 pm
PoliteMight wrote:

Mel Gibson is the road-warrior and has tons of informational stuff that needs to be recorded inside of him.

Source
Mel Gibson as a stuffed crust Nazi... I mean pizza.... Both work.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 10:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Lash wrote:

Forgot his extreme gravitas as an active environmentalist.

Source
What the heck is extreme gravitas?! I bet Trump thinks he has it. Or is in the market for it.
Lash

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 06:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Lash wrote:

Forgot his extreme gravitas as an active environmentalist.

Source
What the heck is extreme gravitas?! I bet Trump thinks he has it. Or is in the market for it.

Everyone’s in the market for it.

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 06:03 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
extreme gravitas

As opposed to middling gravitas?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2023 06:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Have to say this one looks a lot like a Monty Python skit!

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/120C5/production/_128652937_papancake4.jpg.webp

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 02:55 am
@Lash,
No, Trump has extreme gravy stains all over his shirt.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 02:57 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Python used historical footage all the time, the theatre full of oldladies clapping springs to mind.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2023 12:42 pm
Sunset999 wrote:

(I'm over the liver disease haha)

Sunset999 wrote:

I was raised with manners and to be a gent

A Boomer Incel's twofer

Gentleman serial killer perhaps?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2023 09:34 am
@tsarstepan,