Printing out list of files on CD-Rom

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:09 pm
Umm ... I feel a bit embarassed asking this, cause I know the answer must just be really simple...

I have a cd-rom. Its got 110 or so MP3s. I want to print out the list of tracks. How do I go about this?

If I open the list of files in Windows Explorer or My Computer, there is no print option, and selecting all the files and clicking "copy" makes the computer think - obviously - that I want to copy the files themselves, rather than the filenames I'm highlighting. Clicking copy, then paste in Word or Excel therefore also doesnt do anything.

If I open the CD in Media Player, I also cant find a way to copy the tracklist (am I missing something?).

If I had access to my own computer, I could just open the CD in Media Jukebox, and save the tracklist as text or HTML file. But I dont; I'm dependent on Internetcafes.

Whats the trick?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 848 • Replies: 9
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:22 pm
Can't you take a picture of the screen when you have the list of files open and then open that picture to print it? I forget how to do that on a PC, but on a Mac, it's command-shift-3 to get a pic of the whole screen, and commmand-shift-4 to take a picture of just what you want by dragging your cursor around the part of the screen you want to capture.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:21 pm
Dunno for sure this'll work, but if the track list is a separate file, you could try right-clicking on the drive that has the MP3 CD mounted, select "Explore", then find the track list, right-click on it, then select "Open With", then select "Notepad" ... though the way your query is worded, I suspect there is no separate track list file.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:43 pm
Try iTunes from Apple..

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

After downloading iTunes and installation, put your CD-ROM and select the option "Add to Library" in the iTunes Menu then select "Export Song List.." in the Menu. A text file will be created in the folder you would choose.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
OK, I wrote down all of the steps for using the command prompt to generate a text file and then I read you are at an internet caffe. So here is the method that won't work for you and I won't bother looking for the DOS command that sends to the printer output instead of a text file since you probably can't get to a command prompt either.

Here's the old DOS way to do it, sorry it won't work for you:

1. From the start button select "RUN"

2. Type CMD and hit enter.

3. Now you need to get to your CD Rom drive. if it were your "D" drive you'd type d: and press enter.

4. If your files are in a directory type cd\directoryname Replace directoryname with the name of the directory where your files are located. If your files are in the root directory you can skip this step.

5. Type dir > c:\mymp3s.txt

There will now be a text file in the root of your "C" drive called mymp3s.txt that has a complete listing of all of the mp3 files in that directory of your CD. You can open this file with notepad or any word processor.

Good luck.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:08 am
Just last week, I had exactly the same problem, and went around the internet looking for a prog. Here's what I found:

Cdrom List Creator
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
Woah, I hadn't read that it's not your computer.

You've got to install the software. Sorry.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:41 pm
<smiles>

Thanks for all your advice. Who would have thought it would be so bloody difficult (impossible it seems) to do such a simple thing, eh?

Kicky's solution is the only one that's feasible on an Internet-cafe computer, but since the file list is long enough (110-120 tracks) to be several screens worth of text, even that's going to be tricky (pasting together subsequent screenshots). But Im gonna give it a try ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:48 am
OK, on a computer where I have access to "Run" now, this worked like a charm! Thanks RR.

roverroad wrote:
OK, I wrote down all of the steps for using the command prompt to generate a text file and then I read you are at an internet caffe. So here is the method that won't work for you and I won't bother looking for the DOS command that sends to the printer output instead of a text file since you probably can't get to a command prompt either.

Here's the old DOS way to do it, sorry it won't work for you:

1. From the start button select "RUN"

2. Type CMD and hit enter.

3. Now you need to get to your CD Rom drive. if it were your "D" drive you'd type d: and press enter.

4. If your files are in a directory type cd\directoryname Replace directoryname with the name of the directory where your files are located. If your files are in the root directory you can skip this step.

5. Type dir > c:\mymp3s.txt

There will now be a text file in the root of your "C" drive called mymp3s.txt that has a complete listing of all of the mp3 files in that directory of your CD. You can open this file with notepad or any word processor.

Good luck.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
I'm glad it helped.
0 Replies