Doktor S

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
So by your paradigm you could be meeting a lifelong Satanist like myself in heaven? Or rather, eternally on earth...?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:55 pm
I have no doubt that in the outworking of God's purpose we will be as surprised by those who are there as by those who are not. But all must eventually be tested.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:30 am
neologist wrote:
Briefly:

The name of the tree in the garden of Eden was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad. Adam and Eve already had a built in conscience which would have prevented them from moral wrong. The only free moral choice they had was whether or not to accept God's sovereignty, his right to set standards for them.

Satan's contention was that they would be better off if they were able to set their own standards. You've heard the unbelievers on this board caterwauling about how God supposedly withheld this important knowledge and that was the cause of their sin, that they sinned because they were naive or imperfect.

And you've heard many say that Adam and Eve really had no choice at all, that God was/is a tyrant and man a helpless puppet whose pain gives God some sadistic pleasure.

Well, in denying free will and claiming that we are each a moral law unto ourselves, and that by some deterministic social contract we have somehow managed to keep from annihilating each other, we validate Satan's claim.
Great post Neologist. You learned Amigo somthin.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:40 pm
kickycan wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
No, there is no such thing as a completely selfless act.

A man sees a bus coming directly for his wife on a busy street. He instinctively, without thought, pushes her out of the way of the oncoming bus, only to be killed himself.

That is selfless, no matter how you try to spin it.
Freeze frame this scene and tell the man if he saves his wife from the bus he will lose his life in the process then add there is no afterlife, that this will be the end of all experience for him, the end of his life but that his wife will keep going.

Then when he decides return him to the scene and ask yourself what he would do what you would do.

You have to take out the impulse and uncertainty of the situation to demonstrate the question of selflessness. If you truly put yourself in the mans situation you should feel a sinking uneasy feeling like when you contemplate infinity.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:49 am
Dok, come home to your topic.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:17 pm
I've been keeping tabs...it just seems to be dying off.
Quick, say something stimulating that I can't help but reply to.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
I was going to point out that Satanism, as professed by Dok, is very similar to Randian philosophy, and that Phoenix, who is a Randian, was also arguing the points of a selfishness philosopy in another thread where Dok was also poosting.

Would you direct me to that thread, Dok. I can't locate it. Thanks
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:45 pm
Yes, Satanism is all about taking what works and discarding the rest. It draws heavily from the works of rand, neitzche, ragnar redbeard, and many others.
Satanism shares a lot of similarities with Objectivism, but there are also many critical differences.

I would direct you to the thread in question but I really have no idea what thread you are talking about.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
Doktor S,

I guess the real problem I have with your autotheism theory is the selfishness part. I find that when people become selfish and worried only about themselves, i.e., what effects them, what they want, etc., they border on narcissism.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Doktor S,

I guess the real problem I have with your autotheism theory is the selfishness part. I find that when people become selfish and worried only about themselves, i.e., what effects them, what they want, etc., they border on narcissism.

On the contrary, that, at least in my case, isn't so. It is a common misconception that 'selfishness' leads to the behavior you describe. (ie concern only for themselves) Leading a life of blatant malconsideration for others is ultimately self destructive, and not selfish at all. The end result is having the people around you aggravated with you or outright disliking you. How does that serve the self?
TRUE selfishness involves consideration and kindness for others where it is apt to give a good return. Mutual altruism is an indulgence of sorts.
Living by purely selfish ethics, I notice myself leading the role of a 'good' (the textbook variety) moreso than most areligious and even christian people in my experience.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 10:10 am
Enlightened self interest, as Adam Smith might call it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:12 pm
Doktor S,

I really am trying to understand your concept. I am having a bit of trouble with it, I must admit.

I will get back to this probably after the holiday if that's ok. I think this conversation deserves a lot of thought and attention. I don't want to just throw something out there without understanding it fully.

So, I will check back in on Monday. Happy Holidays all!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
Mommas turning into a Satanist!!!! Were doomed Shocked Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:29 pm
One can understand a way of thinking without agreeing with it. This behavior is not very common in christians that see their way as the 'only right way'.(which unfortunately is most of them)
So for petes sake, don't discourage her!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
Who's this Pete you're talking about?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 01:13 pm
Amigo,

No way! I am not turning into a Satanist! God forbid (and He does).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:56 pm
The world would be a better place if God were a Satanist. Sure, Satan is enormous, red, ugly, and under the whip in an abusive relationship with Saddam Hussein, but he also has a caring and thoughtful side that many people who haven't seen the South Park movie aren't familiar with.

As for myself, I worship various forms of female and female forms, including those of Eris (all hail Discordia!), Angelina Jolie, and Vampirella.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 05:35 pm
I didn't think Satan's furry bits were red, surely?
0 Replies