If You Are Attacked On The Street?

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:53 am
If you are attacked on the street, what should you do?

Two worlds collide in Harvard student stabbing case
By Martin Finucane, Associated Press, 4/14/2003 17:44

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) One was a Harvard student walking home after drinking to a reggae beat. The other was a young workingman, relaxing after his shift, hungry for a pizza.

Their paths crossed after midnight in a rundown section of town. They fought. A knife came into play. And now Alexander Pring-Wilson, the Harvard student, is facing a charge of murder.

Pring-Wilson, 25, of Colorado Springs, Colo., pleaded innocent Monday in District Court in the stabbing death of Michael Colono, 18, of Cambridge.

Clad in a dark suit jacket and open-collared shirt, his unshaven face showed no emotion as he was led out of a holding cell in handcuffs.

He was ordered held without bail pending a bail hearing Friday.

Prosecutors say Pring-Wilson stabbed Colono five times early Saturday morning after an argument outside a pizza shop in the city's Riverside section.

Colono was sitting with a man and a woman in a car outside the shop at about 1:45 a.m. when he exchanged words with Pring-Wilson. Prosecutors say the two began fighting after Colono got out of the car.

Colono's friends tried to rush him to a Boston hospital and briefly got lost. Eventually, an ambulance was called. He died at a hospital about 90 minutes after the stabbing. A chest wound was fatal, the medical examiner ruled.

Middlesex district attorney's spokeswoman Emily LaGrassa said prosecutors expected to ask a grand jury to indict Pring-Wilson, the normal procedure in Massachusetts murder cases.

Jeffrey Denner, a prominent Boston attorney defending Pring-Wilson, has staged a spirited defense in the media, beginning a few hours after Pring-Wilson was arrested on Saturday morning. Denner has described Pring-Wilson as a ''gentleman'' with an ''impeccable'' record who acted in self-defense.

At the same time, Colono's family has spoken out, defending him.

A portrait has emerged of men from two different worlds, neither with a criminal record, converging in disaster on a dark street.

Denner has said that Pring-Wilson was with friends, drinking and dancing at a nearby nightclub. A reggae band was playing at the club that night. Pring-Wilson put the friends in a taxi and was beginning to walk to his apartment several miles away in Somerville when he encountered Colono.

Denner won't provide details about the argument that erupted, but he claims that Colono and another man attacked Pring-Wilson and he defended himself with a pocketknife.
''Alexander defended himself. He did not instigate this. He did not pursue it,'' Denner said.

Denner concedes that Pring-Wilson had been drinking that evening, but he denied that it made him more aggressive.

Pring-Wilson's mother, also of Colorado Springs, a former deputy district attorney in Colorado, flew to Cambridge along with Pring's stepfather for the arraignment. Wiping away tears, Cynthia Pring told reporters, ''He's actually a son that would make you very proud.''

Pring-Wilson graduated with honors from Colorado College and was getting a master's at Harvard at the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies. He planned to complete his master's degree this spring and had already been accepted to a number of law schools, his mother said.

About 20 Colono family members attended the arraignment, including his mother and father and four siblings, as well as his girlfriend, who is the mother of their 3-year-old child. Family members sobbed as Pring-Wilson was led into court.

Marcos Colono, one of Michael's brothers, said after the arraignment, ''Everyone's talking about Harvard and all his (Pring-Wilson's) accomplishments. It's irrelevant. Human nature will tell you, smart people still do stupid things.''

''He was walking around drinking and carrying a knife. He should have used better judgment, but he didn't,'' said Marcos Colono.

Colono said his brother was a high school dropout who had earned his GED. He was working as a cook at a Boston hotel.

''He was a really humble guy. He worked full-time. He loved pizza. He loved renting movies, which kept him in the house a lot,'' said Marcos Colono.

Michael Christopher, manager at Tavern on the Charles, where Colono worked, said Colono was well-liked and respected. He was working a Friday night shift that would have ended at about midnight.

''He was a gentleman, a gentle man,'' he said. ''It's hard for us to believe what we're reading in the papers about him starting this.''

Cambridge Mayor Michael Sullivan acknowledged that there might be tensions between residents of the city, which includes enclaves of working class people, and students of the world-renowned university.

''Invariably, you get some issues,'' he said. But he said serious conflicts were rare.

Harvard spokesman Joe Wrinn said ''there is tension in any university city to some level between the town and the gown. That's true on every college campus.''

But he also said ''nothing whatsoever to this degree'' had happened in Cambridge in recent memory and the incident was not reflective of a pattern.

Boston Globe OnLine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,193 • Replies: 23
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:01 am
Mr. Pring-Wilson comes from a family of lawyers. His mother is a former assistant DA in Colorado, and both his father and grandfather are lawyers.

Bail to Pring-Wilson has been denied until a hearing which has been set for Friday.

This case brings to mind a similar Massachusetts case in which the father of a young hockey player assaulted a referee at the game . The ref died from his injuries and the attacker is presently in jail.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:53 am
Re: If You Are Attacked On The Street?
New Haven wrote:
If you are attacked on the street, what should you do?

That's jumping to conclusions. His lawyer is obviously going to say that he was attacked, that's why they're paying him:"
Denner won't provide details about the argument that erupted, but he claims that Colono and another man attacked Pring-Wilson and he defended himself with a pocketknife.
''Alexander defended himself. He did not instigate this. He did not pursue it,'' Denner said."

However, the investigation is still ongoing. Please don't assume that Harvard boy was innocent and was 'attacked'. He was never stabbed and was not even injured from a simple punch. What assault was he defending himself from? I've been in street fights before. I've never stabbed anyone and this guy stabbed him multiple times. You have to work a pocket knife pretty well to kill someone with it.

Not to say that Colono was innocent either. Maybe he had a weapon on him. I don't know. But the defendant has not indicated that he was assaulted or that Colono had a weapon, which I think would be the first thing his lawyer would say in his defense if it were true.

If I'm attacked I try to fight my way out of it but if I'm well enough to walk home I'd have a hard time explaining why I stabbed someone to death, no matter where I was getting my education.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:56 am
The Harvard Student went to an ER immediately after the attack. The MD found that the student had mutiple wounds/lumps on his head and also a concussion.

This is part of the public record concerning this case.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:57 am
You could be "well" enough to walk home and yet die from shock once you arrived there.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:28 am
Dying from shock and dying from stab wounds, gunshots, and massive head trauma are totally different things.

It seems you've already decided that it was justified. I'll leave this bit that I've found and leave the post. I will check back to see if there are any new developments.

As far as him going to the ER after the attack, there isn't actually record of it that I can find. If there is, please let me know the link. His lawyer said he was taken to a hospital, but he doesn't say when. http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/104/metro/Separate_worlds_linked_in_slaying+.shtml

"Denner said his client was taken to a hospital, where a doctor told him he had a concussion. Pring-Wilson also has several visible knots and lumps on the front and back of his head, Denner said."

It never says that he went to the ER directly after the attack.

A note from the police report:
http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/camb04152003.htm

"According to a police booking sheet, Pring-Wilson did not complain of pain and had a ``minor abrasion'' on his head."

When I saw this on the news the other night, the report said that he went home afterwards and the police went and arrested him the next morning, but I can't find these details in print. Que sera.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:30 am
When he said he "went to the hospital" after the attack, he meant he went to the ER. At night, there would be no other place in the hospital to receive care.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:56 am
His lawyer had better read up on the MA General Statutes. "Self Defense" in MA means you can use only enough force to remove yourself or another from imminent threat of harm. The second you have the opportunity to run away from the situation any claim to acting in self defense disappears.

Stabbing Colono once might be justified as self defense. 5 times?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:07 am
New Haven wrote:
When he said he "went to the hospital" after the attack, he meant he went to the ER.

It doesn't say he 'went to the hospital after the attack'. It says he was 'taken to the hospital' at an undetermined time. His lawyer could have requested medical transfer after he was arrested for all we know.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:10 am
Fishin

He couldn't run away because he had clogs on.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:13 am
He gave a statement to the police at the crime scene. He then went to the hospita for care. The print edition of the Boston Globe for the past several days has more information in it, than does the online globe.

Finally, he went to the Police Station to discuss the details of the incident.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:13 am
Confucias say make BIG noise. c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:16 am
Ol' Betsy make plenty BIG noise.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:16 am
The victims family is after "deep pockets". Are you surprised?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:17 am
My poodle "make big noise" when he farts!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:24 am
He's going to have a hard time proving self defense since he stabbed the man 5 times. I can see stabbing him once and then getting out of there, but 5 times rubs me the wrong way.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:27 am
To inflict 5 stab wounds, would suggest to me that the defendant was in either a fit of anger or frenzy. One stab went to the victim's heart.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 12:37 pm
The Boston Globe, seems to have painted the victim as a good guy and the Harvard student as the bad guy.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 07:44 am
Bail hearing is set for Friday.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 07:45 am
Bail hearing is set for Friday.
0 Replies