Failed my driving test! Am I the stupidest one here?

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:09 pm
Yeah, so I'm, ahem, trying to get my license at, shall we say, a more advanced age. And yes, as the thread title indicates, I failed. Not the written one, the behind-the-wheel thingie.

Why me? WHY? Did anyone else here fail their drivng test? Do you have a story or some wisdom to share, to comfort me?

jpinMilwaukee

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:12 pm
I passed easy.

I had an easy test though. No parallel parking required.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:13 pm
I'm not comforted so far.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:15 pm
Oh sorry... I have a short attention span and didn't make it to the comfort you part.

Keep your head up.
When you get thrown off the horse the only thing to do is get right back on.
You'll do better next time... you were just nervous.

Is that helping any?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:19 pm
Neat, thanks! Woooo! I feel ready for anything now! Very Happy

Didn't ANYONE kill somebody or somethin'?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:27 pm
This is the first time I've heard of someone failing their driving test.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:29 pm
AAAAAAARGHHHHHH!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:31 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
This is the first time I've heard of someone failing their driving test.

Yea, you have to be pretty dumb to fail your driver's test.

Kidding. Actually, one of my friends failed...he ran a red light.

How did you fail? Maybe you need more practice before you're unleashed to the public behind a 3000lb weapon.
0 Replies

squinney

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:34 pm
I'll rescue you, cyphercat.

I had no idea it was a four way stop. Seriously! When did they put those signs up, anyway?

Nearly plowed right into a US Mail truck. The test guy made me park, get out and give him control of the car immediately.

But, I passed with flying colors the second time, even the parallel parking.

You will, too!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:35 pm
Yeah, no kidding. I don't want to be unleashed on the public at all! I just need to get my license, but never fear, I won't use it...

I failed because I pulled out in front of someone and the instructor thought I was gonna kill us or somethin'. Psssh, whatever, dude, like lighten up ya know?

I still don't think the car was all that close.
cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:38 pm
I didn't see you there, Squinney! (Rather like that car earlier today, a ha ha haa.)

Anyway, thank you, that's what I wanna hear. What I'm really dreading is getting the same guy when I go back to take the test again... I think I'd do better the next time except I'll be so embarrassed to see him again...
0 Replies

sublime1

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
In Chicago you have to do that to pass.

You also have to flip someone off while making a left turn if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:40 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:41 pm
If there's a car coming, and you're pulling out into traffic, think, "will this car have to slow down(at least drastically) if I pull out?"
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:44 pm
Well, it had to slow down after the instrustor told me to stop, but I swear I had plenty of time if he hadn't butted in...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:44 pm
Ahem. Back a year or two ago when I was having eye tharn, I worried that I would have to take both written and driving. I have a nice history, knock on wood, but was a tad fragile personally around that time. I could see f'ing up from sheer tension. Luckily I passed the eye thing.

But before that I got the book.

Eeeeeeeek. The book has multiplied. It has much more imbedded data. All sorts of things to memorize, and perhaps chart before memorizing. Geez louise. Lots of handy how to but then, data stuck in there. Nailing down how many hundred feet to do what before what when.... I suppose they teach this in driver's ed now but I can only go by common sense. There is no chart in the book, you have to read the whole thick thing.

I know all this stuff instinctually and would likely pass. But have you looked at the California booklet lately?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
Yah, the book is quite the tome now. But I had no problem with the written exam. I just screw things up when someone is watching me and writing things down on their damn little clipboard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:03 pm
And I wasn't worried about the test but all the different numbers of feet when to act before this and that happening, re the written. Well, I've never failed a written, but there's always a first time. Never failed a driving either, but have only had to do that once, with parallel parking on busy street, etc. That was a big gulp then.

I'd flunk now, as I don't have seat belts for all seats. I only replaced the two front ones when Pacco ate them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:04 pm
Oh, and chances of my emergency brake actually holding are small. I am tired of paying to fix it and not have it work.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:31 pm
I failed my first driver's ed 'behind the wheel' test http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/nonono.gif

It was so disappointing...