Australia: Race warfare divides city

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:32 am
Well I think leb muslims are in that cylce, they don't feel a part of larger society, and larger society is giving them every proof of they aren't.

I don't think either side is blameless. They are caught in a clash of cultures.

Imagine a kid from a highly religious family coming home talking about evolution - the family pooh poohs. What does that do to the kid's opinion of his education?

Now imagine the muslim kiddy's situation - where so many things aren't the way the family/community don't like/believe/trust/feel comfortable with. What does that do to the kids opinion of society? And if his behaviour is influenced by this opinion - how is larger society going to react to, and treat, him? Fairly obviously in a way that will reinforce his opinion.

Of course, I'm great at identifying problems and crap at offering solutions.

Yeah Deb, I got out, but it wasn't easy. It helped that I was an outcast pretty much from day one anyway a step out was always going to be a step up.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:33 am
dlowan wrote:
It's sad, as I gather it started as a peaceful thing, a peaceful march about the bashing of a couple of Australian born life savers........
What are Australian born life savers? A new type of candy?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:46 am
Its wops and dagos all over again. This kind of thing was de riguer in the 70's in Melbourne. Greek and italian migrants and their children establishing the fact that they are proud of their heritage and would not be discriminated against.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:15 pm
Any new news?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:35 pm
About what?

I got to hear the chief researcher upon whose study Walter's stuff from The Australian is based on the radio this am.....

The christian Lebanese are following the same trajectory of immigrants here....upward....second generation and on doing better than Australians as a whole re educational achievements etc.

They wondered if it might be a cluster sort of effect....that more of the muslim Lebanese are staying together in areas like the west areas of Sydney that Hinge described....I think she said this was not so, they are following a similar spread pattern (loud bus, I was driving to work) to other migrants.

She said 48% of muslim Lebanese households have no wage coming in...

She speculated that it was an artefact of a larger contingent of these folk having come in as refugees ( more than the christian Lebanese, I assume?) or as family immigration for those who originally came as refugees...and hence without the skills etc expected of non-refugee immigrants.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:01 pm
Yikes!

I'm still in the western suburbs of Sydney! (well - inner west - but still west!!)

I work with a Lebanese Muslim girl, and she's opened my eyes to a complete under class. There's a sort of enclosed culture, where, as far as I can tell, laws are disregarded, you help each other and screw the rest.

Just fascinating!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:32 pm
I dunno, news of arrests, of interviews....?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:15 pm
The riots?

Dunno...ask Margo.

It was all a bit of a beat up, BTW.

Nasty, but pretty localised.

Not like Watts or anything that you guys probably think of when riots get mentioned.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:20 pm
Ah.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:02 pm
So...you WERE thinking of something of that scale?

It reminds me of when people overseas see pix of bushfires around cities here, and think the cities are burning.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:05 pm
Yes, I guess I was thinking along those lines.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:08 pm
yeah...the pix were nasty...as was the thing itself.

Nonetheless, it was some thugs on both sides....picking on innocent people....but still a coupla bunches of thugs, and some of their stupid thug friends.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:09 pm
Feed the thugs to the gay whales.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:10 pm
That would be the non-baleen gay whales.....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:19 pm
Maybe we could spare the whales the hassle and get the japanese to harvest our thugs for 'scientific research'?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:04 am
Ouch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:53 am
Oh, good idea, Hinge!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:44 am
Yeah, cut out the middle man.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:57 pm
Some of the Lebanese Muslims thugs and drug runners got shot up in the last cuppla days - and the police think it'll spark another drug war. Just great!

Isn't it wonderful how those who get murdered are apparently such saints, such sweet boys, good to their mothers and good to dogs ansd small children. Wouldn't wish harm on anyone. It's just other adults they have no hesitation in blowing away! Not to mention all those injured by drugs. But, apart from that, they were such good boys ........
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:04 pm
I remember the young gang of pack rapists mothers saying the same thing a few years back - no doubt it was the victims who were bad.
0 Replies