ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 03:47 pm
On the other hand...

Weapons Seized in Beach Lockdown
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm
Quote:
"We got a text message from our boys to come down today, but we don't want any trouble," said a young ethnic Lebanese man, Ahmad, who wore a camouflage baseball cap backwards and long baggy shorts with a mobile phone clipped to them.

From Punchbowl, an inland suburb of mainly Lebanese immigrants, Ahmad showed the text message: "All Arabs unite to let the Aussies know we can't be pushed around."

That's from the CNN report posted by ossobuco.

That might be the biggest part of the problem Auistralia is facing. Despite living there, some of the Lebanese immigrants don't feel Australian.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:31 pm
Some Australians don't feel Australian.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 07:50 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Quote:
"We got a text message from our boys to come down today, but we don't want any trouble," said a young ethnic Lebanese man, Ahmad, who wore a camouflage baseball cap backwards and long baggy shorts with a mobile phone clipped to them.

From Punchbowl, an inland suburb of mainly Lebanese immigrants, Ahmad showed the text message: "All Arabs unite to let the Aussies know we can't be pushed around."

That might be the biggest part of the problem Auistralia is facing. Despite living there, some of the Lebanese immigrants don't feel Australian.

Dunno.

That is a complex one...but I suspect here is somewhat analogous to the US? Do people not talk about being Italian American/Chinese American etc?

Thing is, Sydney is a bit different, perhaps, so I cannot respond for there. They tend to get the really big influxes as each new wave of migration hits, so tensions tend to be very clear at the coal face there, but where I live, Lebanese/Greek/Italian/Vietnamese/Chinese/Malaysian/African etc tend to identify depending on the situation.

Multiculturalism has tended to be the theme here, with culture and traditions being maintained (indeed, often ossifying) as well as broader Oz culture being taken on. Films and books and such lead me to believe that roughly the same occurs in the US?????

Here are some examples:

A young Greek Australian, with traditional parents, will say to me when explaining something about his parents: "Ah, they're Greek, you know...they don't understand me and what I want to do." A young Greek Australian woman, with traditional parents, will say that FAR more vehemently.

Both young people will be ecstatic when Greece wins the soccer, and will loudly proclaim their Greekness.

A friend of mine, whose parents live in Hong Kong, was VERY "Australian" in his outlook....upsetting his parents by his un Chineseness. He married another friend, whose parents migrated from Holland. When they had their first son, the Chinese Oz friend's mother was shocked at how traditional her son suddenly became....."Aieee" she said "You're behaving just like an old Chinaman!!!"

As is common in immigrant countries, the last wave of immigrants is most against the next. A number of Vietnamese Austraians I have come across are vehemently racist re the newer waves of Afghanis, people from the Arab countries, and Africans.

"They are un Australian!!" I have heard them say: "They don't understand Australian ways!"

Next breath, to child: "You can't do that, it's not Vietnamese!"

Where I am, people from Lebanon (many of whom are in their third generation, with the fourth in arms) still identify strongly with Lebanese culture, but go to the footy and have barbies.....

People tend to intermarry a lot in Oz, too.

In my circle, I have two Anglo friends married to Africans, several to Chinese, a number to people who identify as Aboriginal, looooooots of Greek and Italian/Anglo marriages, a couple married to people from Vietnam, Thailand, the Middle East etc.

But.....I know in areas of Sydney racial tensions have been very high, at times.....and elsewhere, I am sure. And Australia has its full share of racist pigs, frank Nazis and other nasty or simply ignorant idiots.....not always Anglo, either. Other cultures are fully as racist as we are....working for years in an Asian restaurant taught me that, if I didn't know already.

So...it sounds like the split is big in Cronulla (and elsewhere no doubt) but the identifying thing can be very benign, too.

An irony in viewing this as racist, exactly, is the fact that the Anglo thugs were actively asking for Pacific Islander people to come and join the bashing, "cos they don't take any ****"......while I have no doubt many of the thugs were frankly racist, I suspect the tensions leading to the riot were more complex than that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:30 pm
Agreed from my view from here, Dlowan.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:32 pm
Yep, Deb, nicely put.

I think I'd still feel safer in Sydney than L.A. (at least there's less chance of the police shooting you).

In a way it's been a good thing - we peaked over the edge into the abyss - I just hope we keep stepping back, kinda reminds me of Pauline Hanson, we knew there was an undercurrent of racism in the country but she acted like a beacon that attracted the cockroaches into the light and our revulsion was palpable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:41 pm
Well, being from LA, I suppose you are right, if Sydney is gloriously safe. I was safe in LA for decades and lived in an "iffy" neighborhood for my adult life in those years.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:13 pm
Didn't mean to slander L.A. OB, It's just a perception thing. Born out by statistics too, apparently.

In 2003 L.A. had 15.78 homicides per 100,000
The same year Sydney had 1.2 homicides per 100,000

Not that L.A. was the most dangerous City in the US that year (it was New York with 44.91), and oddly Sydney was not [edit] the most dangerous place in Australia (it was Canberra!!!! with 5.07, sadly no politicians were victims).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:43 pm
Actually, I think the "other" identification thing is only just stopping with the Eng/Scottish/Irish immigrant community who make up the greater numbers here!

I suspect I am of the first generation (I am fifth, or some damn thing) NOT to think of England as "home".....many used to call it exactly that, except for those who identified as Scottish/Irish, who were still mad over stuff in the 16th century. on.

I think for many the UK stopped being home, in a sense, when the UK joined the Common Market, and we had to enter via the Stranger's Gate at Heathrow etc. I bet my maternal grandmother called it "home"!

Is that so different from "the old country" etc of more recent immigrants?

I suspect that was all partly because we didn't get really mad with England, and go to war, like you US guys did. Nothing for national identity like beating up and throwing out mummy!

I also think race is not necessarily as important in dramas between waves of immigrants to countries like the US and Oz as we tend to think.

In their time, the Irish were discriminated against and vilified as much as any later waves in both our countries....and they are not a different race from other Anglos! Similarly with Central European folk.

I think a lot of it is stupid damn xenophobia, rather than racism as such.

Hell, Catholics and Proddies used to fight like Kilkenny Cats.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:50 pm
Yeah, in not so long ago Mac users and PC users used to slug it out in the back alleys....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:55 pm
Lol!!!!!!! And VHS and the other people....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:55 pm
OH HO! You dare not speak their name!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:59 pm
Yes I dare, but I don't remember.

Was it UHF?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:04 pm
Beta.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:12 pm
Blimey, thank you!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:33 pm
dlowan wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
Quote:

Dunno.

That is a complex one...but I suspect here is somewhat analogous to the US? Do people not talk about being Italian American/Chinese American etc?

Oh, yes.

Thing is, Sydney is a bit different, perhaps, so I cannot respond for there. They tend to get the really big influxes as each new wave of migration hits, so tensions tend to be very clear at the coal face there, but where I live, Lebanese/Greek/Italian/Vietnamese/Chinese/Malaysian/African etc tend to identify depending on the situation.

In thinking about U.S. cities that might be fair comparisons (that I've visited) I know that Houston is about the same size population-wise and also very diverse ethnically. Also has beaches in somewhat close proximity to the city. Also, there would be several cities in California and Florida that would compare.

Multiculturalism has tended to be the theme here, with culture and traditions being maintained (indeed, often ossifying) as well as broader Oz culture being taken on. Films and books and such lead me to believe that roughly the same occurs in the US?????

Definitely, but isn't it more than just retaining the cultures and traditions of one's country of origin that makes multiculturism successful? I'm curious why the Lebanese and Middle Eastern immigrants felt compelled to concentrate in suburbs away from Sydney (Lakemba). I don't think that's so much the norm here in the U.S., and perhaps it isn't for much of Australia either, except in this one instance. In a way, though, it would seem logical that if they segregate themselves by community, chances are greater of becoming targets for stereotyping and, perhaps, resentment somewhere down the line?

Here are some examples:

A young Greek Australian, with traditional parents, will say to me when explaining something about his parents: "Ah, they're Greek, you know...they don't understand me and what I want to do." A young Greek Australian woman, with traditional parents, will say that FAR more vehemently.

Both young people will be ecstatic when Greece wins the soccer, and will loudly proclaim their Greekness.

A friend of mine, whose parents live in Hong Kong, was VERY "Australian" in his outlook....upsetting his parents by his un Chineseness. He married another friend, whose parents migrated from Holland. When they had their first son, the Chinese Oz friend's mother was shocked at how traditional her son suddenly became....."Aieee" she said "You're behaving just like an old Chinaman!!!"

That sounds about right Smile We had three close neighbors that immigrated from Hong Kong. I have some great memories and lasting friendships from those days growing up. Our neighborhood (and my school) was practically a mini-U.N.

As is common in immigrant countries, the last wave of immigrants is most against the next. A number of Vietnamese Austraians I have come across are vehemently racist re the newer waves of Afghanis, people from the Arab countries, and Africans.

"They are un Australian!!" I have heard them say: "They don't understand Australian ways!"

Next breath, to child: "You can't do that, it's not Vietnamese!"

Where I am, people from Lebanon (many of whom are in their third generation, with the fourth in arms) still identify strongly with Lebanese culture, but go to the footy and have barbies.....

People tend to intermarry a lot in Oz, too.

In my circle, I have two Anglo friends married to Africans, several to Chinese, a number to people who identify as Aboriginal, looooooots of Greek and Italian/Anglo marriages, a couple married to people from Vietnam, Thailand, the Middle East etc.

But.....I know in areas of Sydney racial tensions have been very high, at times.....and elsewhere, I am sure. And Australia has its full share of racist pigs, frank Nazis and other nasty or simply ignorant idiots.....not always Anglo, either. Other cultures are fully as racist as we are....working for years in an Asian restaurant taught me that, if I didn't know already.

So...it sounds like the split is big in Cronulla (and elsewhere no doubt) but the identifying thing can be very benign, too.

An irony in viewing this as racist, exactly, is the fact that the Anglo thugs were actively asking for Pacific Islander people to come and join the bashing, "cos they don't take any ****"......while I have no doubt many of the thugs were frankly racist, I suspect the tensions leading to the riot were more complex than that.

That is curious. Where do the Pacific Islanders live? From what I've read, there's been a fairly long-standing sort of "feud" brewing between the residents of Cronulla and the residents of Lakemba, with similar incidents and resentments surfacing from time to time.

I'm sure more understanding of this will emerge as more facts surface. In answer to your first question about our immigrants retaining their cultural heritage, though, I think the biggest difference I see is that we've strongly encouraged them to work and integrate, thereby avoiding any feelings of "territorial" autonomy. I'd think this would be especially important for Muslim immigrants (although I know Lakemba is comprised of both Lebanese Christians as well as Muslims), because it's often more difficult for them to adapt to "Western" ways.

I think that was probably a large part of the problem in France, with the youth there torn between wanting to enjoy Western prosperity, yet being repelled by Western ways at the same time. Consequently, they ended up resenting...rather than assimilating.

No easy answers to such a complex situation, I agree, and no one side is likely to emerge blameless.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 12:04 am
Oh...people work and lots is done re assimilation...like English lessons etc...I think people tend to congregate in particular areas for a time after a big wave of migration.

Again, I can't speak for Sinney, but in Adelaide, there then seems to be gradual dispersal..and/or the area becomes desirable to Anglos because of the ethnic mix, and it becomes less homogenous.

There is a big migrant hostel area here, for people to settle in, and have time to find housing etc, and where resettlement services are centred.

So.....wave after wave of migrants have started there.

First UK folk, then Central European and Greek and Italian, then Vietnamese, now every damn body!!!

A number of suburbs then became Greek or Italian.....lots of them close to the city, in then not desired old homes.

One of thses suburbs, Norwood, became Little Italy. I can remember as a kid going there and being enthralled at the strange foods and smells! They began the process of civilizing us stodgy fifties Anglo Australians.

Norwood, and the other Greek and Italian inner suburbs are now wildly trendy places to live, with people adoring the ethnic mix.

Here's a thing. A lot of the Greeks and Italians also moved out to the then far northern suburbs, where they set up market gardens....tough and hard work. Twentyfive years ago, 99% of those gardens were Greek/Italian owned.

Now? They seem to have become Vietnamese/Chinese/Thai owned...seems they, as often happens, get worked by the newest wave, while they make money, and then move onto easier jobs...also, their kids tend to do really well study wise, generally, and soon they move into middle class jobs.

Again, Sinney is rawer and tougher, but my impression is that integration with diversity DOES happen....I suspect the anti Muslim hysteria among the stupid, ill educated and those with low self esteem is hindering this process now, and adding to our "normal" levels of racism and xenophobia.

I suspect the west/Muslim divde is fuelling dumb behaviour from the other side, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 12:08 am
I have to go back and read JW's post. But in the meantime, my mother used to tell me all the stuff about how people hated the irish, and I never understood what she was talking about. It took me some years of reading to get it, and I think of it as an east coast thing, though she was talking about how people watched them go to Mass in west Los Angeles in the early twenties. The irish are the least of the hazzerai in LA. I bet I've been shunned multiple times without a clue for the why, and it was my damn freckles and catholicity of the time. But.... eh!!!!

Well, now, there's another story...
0 Replies