Rich and Successful --> SINS?

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
neologist wrote:
J_B wrote:
You can if you're in a liberal Christian faith, neo.

werthn, the more I read your questions the more I think you might be more comfortable with the Methodists or other liberal Christian denomination. No one group has absolute TRUTH, you should feel good about the faith tenets of the group you affiliate with. It sounds like you're getting hooked into a group you don't really relate to very well.
One should not judge truth by comfort level.

But the point I was trying to make was not really a point at all. It really isn't an either/or proposition where you have to give up all your possessions in order to have faith. But you do have to put your wealth into proper perspective. I mean, doesn't your family come before money?

Did I say truth should be judged by comfort level? I don't think so...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:16 pm
J_B wrote:
neologist wrote:
J_B wrote:

werthn, the more I read your questions the more I think you might be more comfortable with the Methodists or other liberal Christian denomination. No one group has absolute TRUTH, you should feel good about the faith tenets of the group you affiliate with. It sounds like you're getting hooked into a group you don't really relate to very well.

But the point I was trying to make was not really a point at all. It really isn't an either/or proposition where you have to give up all your possessions in order to have faith. But you do have to put your wealth into proper perspective. I mean, doesn't your family come before money?
Allow me to highlight the word which caused me to think that.
0 Replies

slippery

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
SUCCESS IS GOOD!!!!
the bible preaches against holding riches and success before God ... I think. I'm not an expert but Im in the same boat as you...wanting the same things grew up the same way...

Being rich and successfull is good, give credit back to God tho b/c remember He gave you everything you have...

You also need to ask yourself why do u want riches? ...
get yourself right in the eyes of God,,,then everything else will follow.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:22 pm
neologist wrote:
J_B wrote:
neologist wrote:
J_B wrote:

Allow me to highlight the word which caused me to think that.

I'm not seeing the connection between comfort and truth in what I said, but nevermind 'cuz I've got a ton of work to do and I need to leave this happy place for today. Werthn, go with your heart and you'll be fine.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:27 pm
Doh; I didn't notice you had two responses in one post. I gotta go too. Have a nice day!
0 Replies

werthn

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:49 pm
J_B wrote:
Spoken like a true liberal Christian, werthn Smile

Groups tend to be self-righteous and think they are following the true path. You can only follow the path that makes sense to you. Are you with this group because you have friends that go there or is it because you couldn't find a Methodist group near your school? There are plenty of liberal religious denomination out there. If the Methodists aren't nearby you could check out some of the others I listed in your other thread.

I got involved in this church group almost accidentally...kinda because i know some really really nice people in there, most of my friends go. Some go because they are really baptist, but most aren't. But a lot of people converted, i guess. one of my friends is catholic but then she recently got re-baptized and to become a Baptist? i'm confused about that, lol.

anyways, yea, that's why i'm in it, no reason, well, maybe some friends. So it's just that i've reached a point where i'm not really getting anywhere except to get reprimanded every so often by the church leaders for holding radical and "sinful" thoughts. This is why i just kept thinking what i should be doing/thinking.

jb, thanks for your encouragement and kind words.
thanks to everyone as well. Very Happy

Hopefully, I can find a group who think like me. =)
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:47 am
Quote:
Hopefully, I can find a group who think like me. =)

Maybe you could find an Anglican church somewhere close. The church I attend is great, our priest is very open-minded and scholarly. He doesn't tell us what to do or what not to do (i.e you must give money). We discuss things in the bible and different points, and he leaves the decisions up to the individuals.

Don't let yourself fall into a trap where the only way to God is through your church leaders. The bible says to try your best in everything, then it is very possible that success is the fruit of your labor.

If all depends on your motive....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:12 am
Thunder_runner, are you in Canada? werthn, the Anglican churches in the US are knows as Episcopalian and yes, they are known as a liberal Christian denomination.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:14 am
Nah, Ohio. We call ourselves Anglicans, and sometimes Episcopalians, I think they are interchangable.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
Ah, cool. I didn't know that, thanks.
0 Replies

werthn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:44 am
Oh cool, thanks for the info. I always thought the Episcopalians are conservative? hehe, oops. so what other christian denominations are considered liberal? conservative?

also, what do you think of non-denomination christian churches?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Here's a source with lots of info on the different denominations:

Quote:
The Time Almanac 2002 quotes the Hartford Institute for Religious Research, who divide Protestant Christian denominations into three groups: Liberal, Moderate and Evangelical.

Liberal Protestant: Episcopal Church, Presbyterian Church (USA), Unitarian-Universalist, and the United Church of Christ. Some would disagree with this list, because recent polls indicate that only about 10% of the members of congregations affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association consider themselves to be Christians.

Moderate Protestant: American Baptist, Disciples of Christ, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Mennonite, Reformed Church in America, and the United Methodist Church. Some individual congregations of these denominations range over the full range from liberal to evangelical. Individual members within congregations do as well.

Evangelical Protestant: Assemblies of God, Christian Reformed Church, Church of the Nazarene, Churches of Christ, Independent Christian Churches (Instrumenal), Seventh Day Adventist and the Southern Baptist Convention. Added to this group are many mega-churches -- non-denominational conservative churches.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_divi2.htm

non-denomination churches can be liberal, moderate, or conservative, depending on the church. Most of the ones I am familiar with are fairly conservative.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:04 pm
Quote:
Oh cool, thanks for the info. I always thought the Episcopalians are conservative? hehe, oops. so what other christian denominations are considered liberal? conservative?

Politically, and personally I think the bible supports conservative stances.

Maybe a little more accurate statement would be that we are liberal religionists. We despise legalism.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:42 am
Really? A camel through the eye of a needle? Thats it, im throwing my money in the bin...
You cant be sure that heaven is real, i couldnt imagine dedicating my life to something i cant be sure is real. A wise man once said that religon is based only on the fact that it cant be disproved.
"where science ends religon begins"
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:04 am
Werthn....Quote (well, i also want to be rich and successful because it's well...part of the whole status thing...so yea, for personal reasons as well.

this is briefly why i want to be rich and successful...but for some reason, it seems to me that the Bible preaches against wanting to be rich and successful. i just don't know what to think. )

Well werthn, I worked for wages for a long time.... then one day I thought to myself " I will never be rich by working for someone else " that was the day I started my first business. Many years later I retired, I now live in a home on a acre of land with a river, in a large 4 bedroom with puter room, a conservatory, a tennis court, big pool, in a beautiful sub tropical climate. My 3 sons run our business, I think I can claim to be in a position of some wealth and literally worked my arse off to obtain it. I have no God-Gods Iv'e never been to a church under my own violation , I've never prayed, never, really, even thought about a God-Gods, accept when the deluded one's come a knocking on my door. I don't believe in charity, I give to things like medical research and to children's hospitals have helped many people who I thought deserved it.
All in all, I believe.. everything in life has to be earned... so my advice to you is forget all this business about bibles and Gods.... do what you are capable of doing, accept nothing accept what you earn.
But if you want a Goddy thingo, go start your own religion or sect study the bible translate it the way that suits your ego, get enough people to belive in you... build a church, then you'll become a rich man with little effort cause what your doing is for your God.... simple.
0 Replies

werthn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
hey lightfoot, thanks for the advice!

You know, it's weird how many Christians (hard core ones) are poor and most of non-Christians I know are richer. Hmm, does this have to do with what they believe in?

I started another thread in here about liberal/conservative Christians and I think that the more hardcore Christian you are (more conservative), the more you are likely to be poor. *sigh* does that mean we can't have two? heavenly riches and earthly riches?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:18 am
werthn wrote:

You know, it's weird how many Christians (hard core ones) are poor and most of non-Christians I know are richer.

No, if you really think about it, it is not weird at all. Those who have next to nothing right here on earth can derive some comfort that they will prevail in the so-called "afterlife". IMO, happy people who have made a comfortable life for themselves do not have to cling so tenaciously to hard core religious beliefs.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:12 am
Comfort is given, but that doesn't indicate anything about whether there is a God or not...
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:37 am
Re: Rich and Successful --> SINS?
werthn wrote:
"The Last Shall be First and the First shall be last"

this is a phrase that people in my fellowship just say over and over....

they really preach against money and are always stressing that we should give up career and money and serve God.

but the thing is I believe in God, I want to serve Him, but I also want to be rich and successful. I want to be the first and the best in the things I do. I don't want to be last. I want to be First. Before you judge me, let me tell you briefly why i want to be rich and successful.

i grew up in a comfortable home, not so rich, but not so poor either, but because i grew up going to the methodist church, i did a lot of community service and i grew to really like doing community service...helping others and the whole bit and have also continued to do that as well. i remembered one year during this time actually when we were doing a toy drive for the needy kids. i remembered that each year, iwould take ~half what i have in my piggy bank and use it to buy toys for these children. but it wasn't enough, it was just a wish that is part of me that i can one day be rich and sucessful enough that i can buy many many toys for many many children.

well, i also want to be rich and successful because it's well...part of the whole status thing...so yea, for personal reasons as well.

this is briefly why i want to be rich and successful...but for some reason, it seems to me that the Bible preaches against wanting to be rich and successful. i just don't know what to think.

is it ok to think this way?

i would appreciate any thoughtful insights and/or personal stories. thanks a lot!

werthn,
I'm not exactly sure why Christ advocated losing all wealth, giving it away, and glorifying God because if A gives his wealth to B then because B should also be giving, his acceptance should make him a sinner. Or in other words, what is the point of everyone giving away wealth when no one should be the receiver. And who would look after and cook for all if all lose their wealth? I mean some can become monks if they so desire and accept food from others who have money and buy food and so cook. But in my view that would make them irrresponsible because they depend on others to look after their basic needs and so they would actually not be serving God, being unfair. Anyway.

My point is this - We can serve God by living a fair and good life. It would be the greatest service don't you think? And all of us being human and desiring love, life, wealth, beauty and justice, means that there is actually nothing wrong about possessing these, but we should learn to draw lines at extremes. So have wealth but don't hoard too much, have love but also learn to give, etc.

And that inner voice of ours will tell us when and where to draw the line. It's like God with us always. If we listen to it or not is up to us.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
Beena
Quote...(My point is this - We can serve God by living a fair and good life) unquote....
What ever makes you think you need some God that you have to "serve"..... I don't have a "God" and as I said before, I , as far as I can tell, led a pretty exemplary life by "my" standards. But by the Biblical standards of the old testaments I'm a pretty docile utterly useless gutless person and by what I've read of the new testament... a bloody sinful "do not stop, go strait to hell" kind of person. luckily, with all the evidence I have of any Gods... Gods are only there if you "think" they are. and as the old saying goes'.."Think (pray) in one hand and sh+t in the other... see which gets filled first".
0 Replies