Oil Depot explosion....

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
I'm glad I wasn't wearing any at 6am......there would have been some skidmarks, I can tell ye!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
Isn't having washing on the line on Sundays forbidden by various laws for the better observance of the Lord's day, commonly called Sunday?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:59 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Isn't having washing on the line on Sundays forbidden by various laws for the better observance of the Lord's day, commonly called Sunday?
Yes but it only applies to commoners like Lord E. Sorry, us commoners are allowed to ...... that is Oh I Dunno
As his lordship he makes the rules up as he goes along.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:35 am
Just woke up and looked outside. It still smells of diesel fumes, but can't make out which way the smoke is drifting, as the sun hasn't come up yet....(or has it?).

I just find it odd that the first explosion, the big one, was almost precisely on the hour, and the second lesser explosion was exactly half an hour later.
Probably due to automatic switch gear coming on at precisely 6am, causing the spark that initiated the ker-boom.

Here's the latest from BBC News.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4520148.stm

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/3.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:37 am
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41111000/jpg/_41111726_inferno203.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/795/zwischenablage029jq.jpg

A black cloud blew across 140 miles of southern England after oil depot blasts in Hertfordshire caused Europe's biggest peacetime fire

"Clues which could explain why a series of explosions tore through an oil depot may have been devoured by the ferocious fire which continues to rage."

More here at the BBC
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:39 am
And according to the Independent

Quote:
A suspected leak from a petrol storage tank is thought to have sparked the huge explosions at a fuel depot in Hertfordshire early yesterday, causing the largest fire of its kind seen in peacetime Europe
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:42 am
Is Boris the Koi Carp still OK?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:44 am
We are about 20 mi east of the blaze. As the wind is from the north east its clear here. 10 of the 20 tanks now extinguished, but these were rim fires at the edge of the tank top. The major fire is still to be tackled with foam. That tank apparantly has no top left so there is a wide open area of volatile fluid exposed to atmosphere. Seems the fire fighters are doing a good job. I think it was probably an accident, though if there was a terrorism connection you can be sure the public will be the last to know. Has any terrorist group tried to claim responsibility btw?

One of the more irritating aspect has been the series of telegenic reporters sent to the scene (3 miles is closest allowed) to stand in front of a plume of smoke and say its still burning. There is only a limited number of times you can tolerate being told this.

Some spectacular photos in today's papers.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:50 am
Boris is ok, seems quite oblivious actually.

They reported the explosion was heard in France and the Netherlands, did it wake you up nimh?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:59 am
Not all the way out here in Budapest, Steve.

Pic up here in the thread was spectacular, too ... the airview of the city with the smoke above...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:32 am
nimh wrote:

Pic up here in the thread was spectacular, too ... the airview of the city with the smoke above...

This is the full photo, as published e.g. in today's Daily Mail

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9492/zwischenablage020cq.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:27 am
....and here's what the international news desks are making of it.

FOX NEWS.

"Now with some news from overseas, here's our very own roving reporter Sam McConnell. Hi Sam"

"Hi Bob, as you can see, I am standing near the Buncefuel field depot in little ol' England, somewhere near the UK. There are hundreds of quaint lil bobbies wearing those funny hats, but not one of them is on a bike, unfortunately.
We have hired fifteen choppers, so that the smoke can be viewed from all angles, and speaking of things burning, my assistant Carol has been burning the plastic down at Burberry's, I can tell you.

"Wow, Sam, it looks pretty spectacular from here, tell us about it"

"Well, Bob, the first item that she would like to show you is the classic Olde English raincoat, with the distinctive Burberry check."

"Thanks Sam. Interesting stuff. Can you tell us if there was any terrorist or criminal connection?"

"Only the price, Bob.....£225 for a raincoat is criminal, if you ask me, especially with the dollar/pound exchange rate. This is Sam McConnell, saying wotcher mate, and signing out from the Fuelfield bunce depot somewhere near groovy ol' London town, England "

"Remember folks, you heard it first on Fox News. After the break, we'll be finding out if shoe shopping can damage your feet. Don't go away"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:37 am
remarkably incisive reporting there for Fox News

Walter, are you sure that photo is not of you in the distance, speed smoking a cigarette?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:35 am
TV weather girl has just announced the good news that the smoke will eventually blow away...

to the "near continent". So thats all right then. Its not our problem.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
Is that something like Russia's "near abroad"?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 01:48 pm
Jaysus! £225 for a raincoat. How absofrigginlutely newsy.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:40 am
Well....two days on, and it is still raging.

We heard word last night that the fireman were being moved out of a certain area in the depot, as they were afraid that another storage chamber was going to explode.

However, Boris and all his little mates seem quite happy, but I've kept the cover on for now.

Today is a reasonably sunny day, blue sky and cold.......but this is the view, taken about ten minutes ago, from the end of my garden.

Ho hum.....

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/flume.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:00 am
Thats pretty spectacular E

are you due south of the fire?

we are east, and there is no sign of any smoke here.

(Department of Health advice, if affected by smoke or particulates, go in doors, shut the windows and dont inhale for a few hours)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:05 am
Due sarf is correct, Monsieur.

You must be Cuffley way, or Enfield, Epping?

Me.....Pinner (ish).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:10 am
I've just looked out again.....and it has now moved right round and is heading............you guessed it........DUE EAST! (seriously).

It should be pasing over your abode in about two hours.
0 Replies