Monarch of the Glen

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 09:01 am
How many of you have followed this excellent series from the beginning?

How many of you were devasted by Hector's fate this past weekend?

This show gives us some of the best character development currently on the small screen. Each character is continually enlarged and made more complex as the program continues telling the story of Archie MacDonald and his aggravating but ultimately loving family.

The scenery is gorgeous, the acting ranges from good to top drawer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,892 • Replies: 23
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 09:06 am
It seems that Archie is meant to never be happy. Now that he has a firm, two-way street in his love life, with plans to marry the earth motherette Lexi, a young woman who loves GlenBogle as much as he does, and GlenBogle itself seems to be out of danger, Archie's plans to find gold on his own land in order to make wedding rings for himself and Lexi accidentally brought about the death of his bumbling father.

I was a bit put off at the introduction of Molly MacDonald's brother, Jolyon, which has turned out to be something of a meditation on fatherhood, with Jolyon or Joe as he is better known, thinking he can be a surrogate father to Archie without knowing that he had fathered a son by a local woman 40 years before and with Archie turning to the quietly sexy and strong Golly, as he often does, in the face of Hector's ineptitude.

Lets hear your thoughts on this episode and the series in general.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 02:50 pm
P O M

I watch it here - but we're a bit ahead of you.

Despite it's outstanding beauty, life doesn't come easy at Glenbogle! But isn't the scenery spectacular - almost enough to make me visit Scotland!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 05:20 pm
Margo,

I know that Monarch has played in 20 countries world-wide and since the earliest episodes date to 2000, I'm not surprised that you are ahead of us there in Australia.

Yes, it is beautiful but I notice that most of the time, the characters wear jackets. Reminds me of something a Brit said recently, "We like the Royal Family fine as long as they're up in Scotland keeping cold." The Gulf Stream must not wash up on Scots' shore!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:55 am
plainoldme

Yep, watch it from time to time ... It's on on a Saturday night here (Oz), so it's not always easy to watch every episode.
But speaking of Scottish TV serials: Do you (or did you) manage to see Hamish Macbeth? Oh, I LOVED that one!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Great!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:56 am
Olga and P O M
Those shows from BBC Scotland are fun, aren't they - and often quite quirky. There was a bunch of them about the time of Hamish Macbeth - all interesting. Must had had a new head if drama there!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:12 am
msolga,

No, Hamish MacBeth must not have played here or else was under my radar. Tell me about it.

Saturday can be a bad night for television viewing ... and even worse if you are at home!! LOL !!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:13 am
Margo,

Have to keep an eye peeled for Hamish MacBeth ... should go to the website for public television.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:28 am
Hamish MacBeth... yes! Great stuff. The village where it is mostly filmed, Plockton, is just as sleepy as it looks on TV. Gorgeous scenery... about 50 miles or so from GlenBogle, head towards Ft. William and then north towards Skye. I adore Monarch of the Glen as well -- Molly is wonderful and Golly the Gullie is a fabulous character. I love the way Duncan wears a kilt with a bomber jacket, but y'know... the Irish series, Ballykissangel? IMO that was the best of the modern Celtic TV tales.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:28 pm
Yes, I'm a Ballykissangel fan, as well! The part of Ireland it's set in, County Wicklow, is just wonderful.

Piffka - you should put it on your agenda for next year (or whenever you go to Ireland).

Shheeesh - all Ireland is just lovely! So green. Smile

Digression warning:
I was dyeing a pair of pants, supposedly dark green, to take away with me. I got distracted and stopped stirring them - so they're now a sort of blotchy green - I describe them as my Irish camouflage pants. Guess I'll have to try some of that dye-out stuff, and start again, over Easter! Confused
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:11 pm
Margo -- As it happens, my daughter, who was also a BallyK fan, visited County Wicklow and reported that, as you say, it was totally gorgeous. I am panting to see for myself. Right now we don't have that TV show airing. I know I've seen every episode two or three times but.... but... I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

These green jeans... for your trip to Sweden? Already you're getting ready? Huh? Don't you know about waiting 'til the last minute?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:46 pm
Piffka

Packing is always a last minute thing. But I saw these pants on sale - good value but didn't like the colour. No trouble says margo - they're cotton - they'll dye.

3 attempts so far Crying or Very sad and now they're camoflage green things - what to do next Shocked . My life does resemble a bad sitcom some times. Confused
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 05:16 pm
It's not just a GOOD sitcom with one bad writer? Wish I could help you but I've never dyed anything in my life. Black? Would black work? Could you bleach them and start over?

Signed,
Totally Clueless
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 05:41 pm
Pffka,
Dying something black is a tough task. Black is the most expensive of the dyes to manufacture and the least stable. You know how blacks will either fade to a wussy grey, turn rusty or green? That's because the color is unstable.

Margo,
I don't think the fabric will take any more color.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:36 pm
Hi all.

I just discovered this series recently in Boston, I think we're at the beginning. It's on Friday nights at 9, so might be hard to catch regularly. Going to check the local listings to see if they repeat it at all on another time/day or night. Love it so far!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 02:03 pm
Final episode of Monarch of the Glen here last Saturday night. Sad
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:13 am
Edithdoll,
WGBH started showing the series over again from the beginning a week ago. It originally began airing when The Forsyte Saga did on Masterpiece Theatre, immediately following MT. Was surprised to see it begin again but am enjoying the beginning, seeing the evolution of the characters and the foreshadowing!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:14 am
Margo,
The last episode seen here before the repeats began showed Lexie cutting out from her wedding to Archie, but, guaranteeing a place for herself in his life by purchasing a round trip ticket.

Was that the episode you saw or can I look forward to more Monarch of the Glen?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:15 am
Edithdoll,
The show is also shown Saturdays and Sundays at 11 pm.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:38 pm
POM
There's another series after that - but I think this is the end. Sad
0 Replies