The Problem with Hell

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
Implicator wrote:

I fear that the main purpose of my comments to Phoenix are getting lost in this, but that's ok ... I will continue Smile

Sorry to digress, I just find this interesting.

Quote:
There are a variety of ways to prove things, based on the type of thing you are attempting to prove. So, I guess I am not sure which approach you are talking about. I will assume (since it is the most widely held view) that a "seeing is believing" approach is what you speak of, considering that the "thing" in question is material in nature.

So that we don't fall into considering whether a concept can be considered an 'entity' let's stick with the 'seeing is believing' approach.

Quote:
So my approach would be to determine whether I can "see" (i.e sense in any variety of different ways) myself. The problem I come across immediately is that if I try to sense myself, I have already begged the question at hand, by presupposing that I exist in the first place.

You're adding weight to the question that it does not require. You can feel your arms, hear your voice, see yourself. More importantly, the fact that you are capable of rationalizing your own existence at all points to a proof in my opinion.

Quote:
So what do I get? I get the conclusion that I presuppose my own existence.

What do you get?

I

You presuppose nothing. The evidence of your existence is plainly visible, you are merely attempting to apply labels and doubts to what you're experiencing which are unnecessary.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
BM.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:22 pm
Questioner wrote:
Implicator wrote:
So my approach would be to determine whether I can "see" (i.e sense in any variety of different ways) myself. The problem I come across immediately is that if I try to sense myself, I have already begged the question at hand, by presupposing that I exist in the first place.

You're adding weight to the question that it does not require. You can feel your arms, hear your voice, see yourself. More importantly, the fact that you are capable of rationalizing your own existence at all points to a proof in my opinion.

Wait a minute. Who feels my arms? Who hears my voice? Who is able to rationalize my existence? You said I do these things, which means I am already assumed to exist.

Questioner wrote:
Implicaor wrote:
So what do I get? I get the conclusion that I presuppose my own existence.

What do you get?

You presuppose nothing. The evidence of your existence is plainly visible, you are merely attempting to apply labels and doubts to what you're experiencing which are unnecessary.

I am simply evaluating the argument for my existence, the same way I evaluate the argument for anyone else's. When I evaluate the syntax of the assertion "I hear my voice", I find that the one doing the hearing (the hearing is what is supposedly justifying my existence) is ... me! I must first be assumed to exist before I can hear anything, else there would just be hearing.

Cogito ergo sum is question-begging at its worst.

I
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:11 pm
Implicator wrote:

I am simply evaluating the argument for my existence, the same way I evaluate the argument for anyone else's. When I evaluate the syntax of the assertion "I hear my voice", I find that the one doing the hearing (the hearing is what is supposedly justifying my existence) is ... me! I must first be assumed to exist before I can hear anything, else there would just be hearing.

I

Perhaps, but it is infinitely preferable to sitting around a coffee table and contemplating existence. You think, you do, you are. This concept is only as difficult as overly-argumentative philosophers make it.

Your continuous usage of the word 'assume' is erroneous. You assume nothing. That you are present, that you and I are having this conversation is not an assumption but a truth. Disregarding that truth in favor of debate doesn't make it any less true.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:50 pm
Questioner wrote:
Implicator wrote:

I

Perhaps, but it is infinitely preferable to sitting around a coffee table and contemplating existence. You think, you do, you are. This concept is only as difficult as overly-argumentative philosophers make it.

So what is this, an appeal to lost time? Laughing Something is worthy of being studied just as long as it doesn't require contemplation around a coffee table?

Quote:
Your continuous usage of the word 'assume' is erroneous. You assume nothing. That you are present, that you and I are having this conversation is not an assumption but a truth. Disregarding that truth in favor of debate doesn't make it any less true.

Perhaps - presuppose is much more accurate. That one must presuppose one's existence in order to argue for it can be shown by the following argument:

1) I can hear myself speak
2) Hearing myself speak indicates I exist
3) Therefore, I exist

Notice the use of the term "I" in premise #1. That "I" appears in a premise, while the existence of "I" is the conclusion means that the argument is circular in nature. I must presuppose "I" in order to argument for my own existence.

There is nothing erroneous about this - it is clear from evaluating the argument in syllogistic form.

I
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:11 pm
Implicator wrote:

So what is this, an appeal to lost time? Laughing Something is worthy of being studied just as long as it doesn't require contemplation around a coffee table?

You speak of study. How can you study anything if your own existence is in question? This type of thinking is a dead end, for it will rarely yield anything but further questions.

Quote:
Perhaps - presuppose is much more accurate. That one must presuppose one's existence in order to argue for it can be shown by the following argument:

3) Therefore, I exist

Ok, if you prefer to have someone else validate your existence, look to your left and ask the person if they can hear you, and if they can see you. Then have them pinch you to make certain that all is in order.

Or simply come to the rational conclusion that you are not 1) asleep and dreaming, and 2) you do, in fact, have a direct influence on the world around you.

Quote:
Notice the use of the term "I" in premise #1. That "I" appears in a premise, while the existence of "I" is the conclusion means that the argument is circular in nature. I must presuppose "I" in order to argument for my own existence.

There is nothing erroneous about this - it is clear from evaluating the argument in syllogistic form.

I

It is semantics. It is philosophical fodder. It is argument for argument's sake, interesting, but of little consequence.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:29 pm
I note that nobody seems to have raised the ontological position that "existence" may operate solely as an "excluder principle". In other words we can define several categories of "non-existence" (fictional, physical etc) but it may be impossible to define "existence" itself.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:29 pm
Questioner wrote:
Implicator wrote:

You speak of study. How can you study anything if your own existence is in question? This type of thinking is a dead end, for it will rarely yield anything but further questions.

I do not doubt my own existence - I presuppose that I exist. That does not mean that I have proven I exist, however, which is the point I was making to Phoenix. Sometimes it makes rational sense to presuppose something (like the veracity and applicability of the laws of logic, for instance), even though one hasn't proven they exist, or that they are what they are presupposed to be.

Questioner wrote:
Implicator wrote:

3) Therefore, I exist

Ok, if you prefer to have someone else validate your existence, look to your left and ask the person if they can hear you, and if they can see you. Then have them pinch you to make certain that all is in order.

In order for someone else to prove I exist, I must experience them, no? I must experience them telling me that they heard me ... I must experience them pinching me. And so if you replace premise 1 with "I hear someone else tell me they heard me" or "I felt that person pinch me" you don't make any progress, because I am still right there in the first premise, being presupposed.

Questioner wrote:
Or simply come to the rational conclusion that you are not 1) asleep and dreaming, and 2) you do, in fact, have a direct influence on the world around you.

I don't dispute that it is rational to presuppose that I exist - I am simply drawing a distinction between presupposition and proof.

Questioner wrote:
Implicator wrote:

It is semantics. It is philosophical fodder. It is argument for argument's sake, interesting, but of little consequence.

It demonstrates the circular nature of attempting to prove that I exist.

I
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:40 pm
Implicator wrote:

I

Heh. Well I can agree to that. If by circular you mean 'silly'.

Thanks for the dialogue.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:40 pm
fresco wrote:
I note that nobody seems to have raised the ontological position that "existence" may operate solely as an "excluder principle". In other words we can define several categories of "non-existence" (fictional, physical etc) but it may be impossible to define "existence" itself.

So existence would be that thing that is not consistent with any of the definitions of non-existence?

Never thought of it that way ... interesting.

One still retains the same problem, I would think, of the need to presuppose one's own existence as one proceeded to list all the things existence was not, by virtue of the need to relate the things existence is not to "self" in order to make the claims of non-existence relevant to the existence of self.

Geesh, did that make any sense?

I
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
Questioner wrote:
Implicator wrote:

I

Heh. Well I can agree to that. If by circular you mean 'silly'.

Thanks for the dialogue.

Yes, circularity is silly Smile

Presuppose you exist, and get on with life!

I
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 05:18 pm
Implicator,

"did that make any sense? "

Yes...the status of "self" is central to problems of "existence".

The topic requires a thread of its own.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 05:20 pm
Well for god's sake, put it in the Philosophy section with all the other opium-induced intellectual journeys. :wink:
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:13 pm
Questioner wrote:
Well for god's sake, put it in the Philosophy section with all the other opium-induced intellectual journeys. :wink:

I suppose it would have been better for me to notice your signature a bit earlier in our conversation Cool

I
0 Replies