The Problem with Hell

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:41 am
Now, as an agnostic verging on atheism, I do not believe in the Gods of the religions that are out there. However, there is one thing that I will disbelieve even more vehemently than God and that is Satan and Hell.

There is a problem with the concept of Hell, and it is aimed specifically at religions that hold that:

1. God is ominpotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent.
2. Some people will be consigned to Hell forever and will be tortured for all eternity.

This article sums up the debate quite nicely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_Hell

The very idea that people can choose to reject God or choose to accept him and those that reject him go to Hell is ridiculously unfair. What about those aborigines in Australia that died before the introduction of Christianity? In fact, what about those that lived before Judaism was ever founded and spread from the Holy Lands?

Also, the very notion that a benevolent God would punish someone for all eternity for a sin that was done and committed and over in an instant (compared to eternity) seems to be a bit like overkill. You don't imprison someone for life for a minor theft, so why should all sins be punished eternally?

There is also the case of why should a loving God create souls, which he foreknows will go to Hell? There are those that will not fit his criteria to get into Heaven. They might not be Christian. They might be predisposed to not believe. Their upbringing might have ended up forcing them into a life of crime.

These are only a few arguments and they're not the greatest of them out there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,245 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:44 am
Wolf_ODonnell- The difficulty that you are having is that the entire concept of heaven or hell makes no sense at all to any thinking person.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:24 am
Wolf-

Try reading Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.That will give you a sense of proportion vis-a-vis "Hell".
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:30 am
Re: The Problem with Hell
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
The very idea that people can choose to reject God or choose to accept him and those that reject him go to Hell is ridiculously unfair. What about those aborigines in Australia that died before the introduction of Christianity? In fact, what about those that lived before Judaism was ever founded and spread from the Holy Lands?

Who says they will go to hell?

Quote:
Also, the very notion that a benevolent God would punish someone for all eternity for a sin that was done and committed and over in an instant (compared to eternity) seems to be a bit like overkill. You don't imprison someone for life for a minor theft, so why should all sins be punished eternally?

Maybe something like this:
In this life we have the possibility to affect how we will spend eternity by using our free will for good or evil. By choosing good we are formed in the likeness of God, i.e. towards perfection. By choosing evil, the likeness is distorted, and we become less and less like Him. After death we no longer have this possibility to affect our destiny. If a person has lived a wicked enough life he may even start to hate God and therefore refuses His generous offer of mercy. Justice will therefore condemn him. Although one could argue that the person has in fact condemned himself, and that his punishment is inflicted by himself through his wicked nature (suffering being a universal sideeffect of sin).

Quote:
There is also the case of why should a loving God create souls, which he foreknows will go to Hell? There are those that will not fit his criteria to get into Heaven. They might not be Christian. They might be predisposed to not believe. Their upbringing might have ended up forcing them into a life of crime.

If God only would have created people to go to Heaven, then we wouldn't really have had a choice, would we? I'm convinced that no human being is born for hell. Each person has been given free will to use as he chooses. Of course, some people have more difficult upbringings than others, but I'm pretty sure God doesn't ask what is impossible of anybody. I feel confident that He will extend His mercy to those who deserve it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:34 am
Derevon- You are using God as the argument for a heaven and a hell. One cannot presuppose something without proving the existence of that entity. In other words, if there is no way of proving that there is a God, the entire concept of heaven and hell is irrelevant.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
Re: The Problem with Hell
Derevon wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Who says they will go to hell?

MANY Christians say that they'll go to hell.

According to a couple of my in-laws it "just breaks their hearts" that "I'm going to hell" even though I've "done some really nice things" with my life. They are "so sorry" that I "won't spend eternity with them in Heaven" and if I would just "accept Jesus as my personal savior -- think of all the fun we could have".

According to them all other religions are the creation of Satan and exist only to lead people astray, away from God, so that God will be able to pick out the smart set for Heaven.

It doesn't matter one iota what you do with your life -- as long as you announce Jesus as your savior, you're a-okay and Heaven-bound.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:48 am
At least we'll have lots of fun company, Boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:54 am
I remember reading somewhere a persons response to the idea that animals don't have souls and therefore there are no animals in Heaven.

Whoever it was said "If there aren't dogs it can't be Heaven".

I believe you can add any number of nouns after dogs and the claim would still be true.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:59 am
Of course, if we will consider the words of Solomon in Ecclesiates 9:5,6:

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun."

We will conclude that there could be no such thing as eternal punishment in hell or anyplace else.

When you're dead, you're dead.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:22 am
"The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling."

- Paula Poundstone
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:36 am
So what do they mean by 'sin tax'?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:43 am
Hell is seperation from god, heaven is communion with god. You decide what your'e gonna do!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:51 am
neologist wrote:
So what do they mean by 'sin tax'?

Doesn't that have something to do with the way language is used? Nouns, adjectives, clauses, etc....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:57 am
No, that's syn tax.

Syn is when you are realy bad.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
neologist makes a sound point and reference--and the 'biblical truth' of hell is simply non-existent, at least the way that churchianity presents it. For all the studied focus on their god, they sure are funny about some things, it seems to me that they must believe the bible was written in the King's English, originally. Of course, realizing that god is literally and figuratively 'the image of the beast'--the 'beast' being man and the 'image' being the reflection of man's thoughts--makes it a little more clear why there is so much confusion. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Ecclesiastes 3:18-19
I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

They know not that we are beasts--understanding little about the idea of what 'an image' really is, as I said, a reflection of thought. They do not understand that God is not subject to emotional and petty machinations--being 'pure Spirit' by necessity rules out emotions completely, as they are functions secondary to a physical nature. And so without a physical nature, reactionary instincts are gone--meaning that a God of true Spirit form must be something purer than their imaginations.

If God is omnipotent, then God is 'love.' If God is omniscient, then God is the energy composing the universe. If God is omnipresent, then there can be no hell as a place of permanent separation and/or torture. If God is merciful then the religious zealots of the world will be forgiven, too. Laughing
Truly, I think 'they know not what they do.' But just don't let them do it to you, is what I say.

Personally, from a psychological point of view, I think that the whole idea of Dante's Inferno-type hell works as a subconscious mechanism on the minds of the 'devout'--for they are leaving themselves the mental idea of escape from 'God's wrath'--also on that deep level they suspect they are in for a good dose of it.

I've never been able to talk myself out of there being God--and I've tried--I'm a self-checker of an almost obsessive sort. I test my beliefs by trying every possible way not to believe and by an endless seeking of worldly information. A person cannot 'choose' to believe something--belief is something beyond our wills, I really believe that, too. Therefore, 'believing in Jesus' is not the key--it's not even in the bible, in that true sense of meaning. They made it up.
By the same token, I just have never been too convinced there was a hell--I certainly never worried about winding up there--I just couldn't imagine there being such malice beyond the human mind. Logic tells me true 'evil' is the product of human greed and envy.

One cannot love one's neighbor as one's self if they can only express mild disappointment when they pass their neighbor's elevator going 'down on' their way 'going up.'
Their moral catch-phrase has failed them--WWJD? He would hit the emergency stop button, that's WJWD.
I think they must have J confused with Twisted Evil

Dunno. Feeling ornery today...I'm not usually so gregarious in my frankness. Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:03 am
Meph. Why this is hell, nor am I out of it.

Doctor Faustus, Scene III. (Marlowe)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:03 am
neologist wrote:
No, that's syn tax.

Syn is when you are realy bad.
Tried to edit my post when I realized it didn't make sense. Too late, but no matter. Most of what I say doesn't make much sense anyway.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:08 am
Beautifully said, queen annie!

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
Quote:
Most of what I say doesn't make much sense anyway.

neologist- Then you will be perfectly at home on a religion thread!

I'm sorry. When you fed me that line, I just couldn't resist!!! Laughing

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:46 am
Hey, queen annie! New Mexico, huh? There's a half dozen or so of us around here. Welcome.
0 Replies