Debating the wrong way, I'm gonna change my way

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:33 pm
Craven- I am very pleased to hear what you had to say. IMO, when people become abrasive, others react to the perceived attack, become defensive, and tend to ignore the facts being presented.

I think that if we could all count to 10 before we reply with a too snappy comeback, a lot of misperceptions would be avoided.

By the way, I have no way of procuring a free range chicken. Would a Tyson Ready to Eat be an appropriate substitute? Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:58 pm
Craven
That's great. I personally make a point of not becoming insulting even if I'm mad as hell. I know I've gone off the handle more than once on another forum, but I don't remember if I ever did that here.

I would also like to comment on the fact that I've never seen anyone use as many big words as you do, LOL! For the longest time I could never figure out what you were saying because you use words that I don't ever remember seeing, never mind knowing what they mean. I use to get headaches trying to figure out what the hell you were talking about, but through the years I actually learned to read between the lines in your posts. You are one smart cookie and I truly wish I was half as intelligent as you are, simply so I knew the meaning of half the blimp size words you use ;-)

Craven-When I read or try to read your posts, I feel so damn stupid! Not that I'm complaining or anything ;-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:24 am
CodeBorg wrote:

Interesting... True! Hmm, is there a name for various types of abrasiveness, or goading techniques?

We've all seen this stuff, but if anyone knows a good website with easy one-paragraph definitions that even I could understand, I think everyone could benefit! Webpages related to conflict resolution, or the gentle art of verbal self-defense might also help.

The debate guidelines on this forum (and the politics forum among others) contain a link that fits the bill. The page linked to also contains other links about the subject.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:26 am
Doh, roger already one-upped me. He gave a link.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:32 am
montana,

I just want to comment on the words thing, a Brazilian would have an easier time understanding my posts than one of yours. What I'm trying to get at is that it's just different, not necessarily any smarter.

A few people on Abuzz noticed my inclination toward latin based English words (my Latin is no good) and the reason I gave for this is that other languages that share Latin etymology make me use more latin based words.

The example i always use to illustrate this is:

chew vs mastigate

For a Brazilian who does not know a word of English mastigate is eaiser for them to understand than chew (because their word is mastigar).
My point, that I'm having a hard time explaining, is that bigger words might not mean more difficulty. Latin based English words are generally longer and I use them more mainly because I speak other languages that share Latin etymology with English and don't share the Anglo-Saxon words.

My English is more Latin based but that means my colloquial English is a bit weaker.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:37 am
roger wrote:

There are a couple of good links at the very bottom of the guidelines, often with impressive latin terms with which to awe your friends and neighbors.

Does anyone know non-latin terms for the logical fallacies? It would be nice to know and use terms that wouldn't result in accusations that one is using Latin to acheive said effect.

There are a few ones with English equivalents but I'd like to know more if possible.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:42 am
Me, I just wanna learn the Latin, to awe my friends and neighbours! Thanks, Roger!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:48 am
Craven
Thanks for explaining that to me. I didn't realize that they were Latin words which explains a lot. Many other people use words that I've seen, but either forgot the meaning or never knew, so I just look them up and I'm all set, but with your posts it's totally different. As I said before, I've known you long enough to actually pretty much read between the lines, but I am glad to know that I'm not quite as stupid as I thought. I still think you're very smart though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:53 am
By the way, I know I tend to slaughter the english language and it's not because I can't speak proper english, it's simply because I grew up with the slang and feel more comfortable with it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:55 am
Deb
Same here. That's some pretty impressive stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 12:57 am
Craven - wouldn't it be lots of fun to MAKE UP the English equivalents of the Latin terms? It could be a very diverting and funny undertaking..... hmmmmmmmmm.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:15 am
i find that funny bunny's desires are necessarily insegrevious
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:21 am
dlowan- I once came across a site where they had English insults and funny phrases translated into Latin. It was absolutely hilarious! If I can find it, I'll post it here!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:28 am
Check this out!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:29 am
Waaaaah - what does "insegrevious" mean? I don't have a Latin translation thingy!

That would be great Phoenix.

You know, I detect a degree of taking the Mickey in Craven's utterances - " being right is less important than being nice" - hmmmmmmmmmmm......maybe the chicken gave him concussion...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:47 am
OOH- did I find something interesting!

http://www.humanitas-international.org/newstran/console.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:16 am
dlowan. once upon a time in a land far, far way i was a grad student dozing in the back of the classrooom when the prof asked me to explain the paradigm he had drawn. having no clue i responded that i found the paradigm insegrevious (a word created on the spot) we spent the next 30 minutes debating whether or not the paradigm was or was not insegrevious.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:31 am
dys- Could it be???

Insegrevious
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:34 am
OMG
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:37 am
Instead of all this debate over debate, I think everyone should come to my house and get stoned.

We'll fill my pool with jello and just wrestle. Winner gets debate point.

I will supply everything except the beer and salty snacks. Please bring lots.

When we are finished, we will all feel refreshed and well disposed towards one another and my next door neighbor will have had a stroke and all will be well with the world.

Scoff if want, but I haven't heard a better idea.
0 Replies