Norton Personal Firewall vs Windows XP

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:13 am
Arrrg. SystemWorks is a frustrating tool. It has great utilities but is loaded with so much bloated code that I consider it on the level of some viruses.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:39 am
XP firewall vs Norton
I'm the sort of person who doesn't bother to know what's going on under the hood of my car as long as it goes on smoothly. I guess the same applies here, but I have to say that I find SystemWorks very handy. About big footprints I wouldn't know from baby bootees, but SystemWorks justifies its existence as far as I'm concerned, little or big.

Just for curiosity - what would either of you (Murray or Craven) recommend in its place?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:45 am
Knowledge of Windows. Most of what System Works does are typical operating system functions.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:09 pm
Alternative
I have to agree with Craven.. 90% of what Systemworks does you can do through Windows already.. If you prefer the defrag of SystemWorks over the Windows version, then I would suggest DiskKeeper Lite..

Far superior to SystemWorks.

Murray
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:10 pm
And I agree with Murray. I've liked SystemWork's defrag and that was teh only reason I used to keep it. But I'd always run System Works off the CD.

DiskKeeper is excellent.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 01:44 pm
Norton personal firewall vs XP
So, specifically, which of SystemWorks functions are not included in XP? Anything vital?

Anyway, I'll look into DiskKeeper, and thanks. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 01:48 pm
I think they had a harddrive imaging utility that windows doesn't have. But it's not vital.

I do not use system works anymore so I don't remember all of what it has.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 02:52 pm
Norton Personal Firewall
One thing I very much like about SystemWorks is the Wipe feature. I've had occasion to use it and found it very user-friendly. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 02:52 pm
As in wiping data? Do you mean clean sweep?
0 Replies