Norton Personal Firewall vs Windows XP

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:49 pm
There seems to be an adversarial relationship between XP and my Firewall 2003. Rolling Eyes Firewall installs, but all aspects show either as "off" or "disabled". I have tried accessing Symantec, but their email tech support page is not working.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firewall umpty times, but no luck. Has anyone out there had this experience?

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,953 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:41 pm
XP has a buit in firewall. It is much better to use that than try o use a 3rd party firewall (as most will have compatibility issues with XP).

To enable XPs firewall:

START > My Network Places > View Network Connections

Then right click on the connection you want to firewall and click properties, click on the advanced tab and check the box.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 07:00 pm
Norton Personal Firewall vs XP
Thanks Craven. I did as you instructed.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot of new things with XP - this was just the beginning. Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:11 pm
I never even thought to ask. Thanks, Tomkitten.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:56 pm
NO PROBLEMS WITH NORTON FIREWALL AND WINDOWS XP
Tomkitten - No suggestions to help you, but I wanted to let you know that I've never had any trouble running these two "items" together. The one and only problem I've discovered MAY be with the Firewall ... and it may not be: I can't post on the Message Board Interactions at Spark Notes. Since I'm "all over" the Net without this glitch, I'm inclined to think the problem is theirs. Their support team doesn't answer any email EVER! Some of the public at large there have been trying to lend me assistance. Mostly, I just come here or go elsewhere. Keep us posted on what's going on with you and your computer setup. :-) - Charli [/color]
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 04:08 pm
Windows XP vs Norton Firewall
I have to give great credit to Symantec. Although it was complicated because I couldn't just open a book and get referred to page 22 or 300 or whatever, they did walk me through the process of properly getting rid of the all the Norton stuff, new and old, and reinstalling.

I say it's a nuisance, because each time they refer you to a new step it's apt to include a further referral to some other document altogether, and you wind up with a heck of a lot of printouts. My printer was working overtime on this. But that's computers, I guess.

However, things seem to be back on track, and I suspect the problem wasn't with XP at all, but with something I accidentally deleted while checking out a list of stuff, dubious and otherwise, that came up on a list of Ad-Aware or Spybot finds.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:01 pm
MAYBE ...
Tomkitten - This is a huge MAYBE, because there's always so much going on at this establishment and on these computers. But, I THINK I probably had to delete the XP VirusScan program ... TRELLIX? Can't even be positive that's the name of it. However, I'm sure I did something like that. There was still software telephone help from Sony at that time. The support person said, "Oh, you don't need Symantec; what's in the machine is fine." Me: "Thanks anyway; we prefer to have Symantec installed." I'm fairly sure that's how the whole scenario went. Well, as you know, you get the updates and every few days/weeks Symantec traps a "baddie." Back in the dark ages - several years ago - Symantec did a "perfect" job of clearing out "Pretty Park" virus that infected the software here. For some reason, we seem to be one of those among the targets, so we run the virus program, spybots, and firewall constantly. 'Tis a-wearying! Good wishes! :-) Charli

P.S. Runs lots of filters in the email, too. Even so, there is an additional huge amount of spam at our ISP's web mail site: At least 60 a day. I know it's less than 3 days since I checked and there were 184 pieces of garbage tonight to delete!!! :-) :-) :-)
[/color]
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:37 pm
IMO using Norton for antivirus protection is a very good idea, but using them for a firewall is not (on XP).
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 10:26 pm
Howdy Kraven:

Sorry, but I am going to disagree with you BIG time.. XP's firewall stinks plain and simple.. Go to www.grc.com and run their scanner.. It goes through XP like a hot knife through butter.

I have been using the Norton firewall ever since I had broadband migrating from Win98SE to XP and have never had a lick of trouble with it.

Just make sure XP's firewall is disabled.

Murray
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:01 am
HI Murray! Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:00 am
Murray,

The automated attacks that Sheilds Up performs is just one slice of the pie.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:34 am
Howdy Phoenix:

Thanks for the welcome. !!

Murray
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:35 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:19 am
I just ran all the shields up tests. XP's firewall passed every single one with flying colors.

FTP
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Telnet
Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

SMTP

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

RPC

Net
BIOS

IMAP

HTTPS

MSFT
DS

UPnP
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:24 pm
XP Firewall
Craven:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but did you run the LeakTest as well??

As per GRC.com..

The Windows XP built-in firewall:

The rate of LeakTest downloads jumped significantly on October 25th, 2001, presumably due to the release of Windows XP on that date.

It is understandable that new Internet savvy users of Windows XP, who are aware of our work here at grc.com, would be curious to learn about their new system and its Internet defenses.

Just so you know, WinXP's built-in firewall does not attempt to manage or restrict outbound connections at all. It appears to be a useful firewall for hiding the machine from the Internet (it has "stealth mode" unsolicited packet handling), but you will still need to use a good third-party personal firewall if you wish to manage and control outbound connections from your system.

Murray
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:23 pm
Valid point, but I never have a problem with outbound connections. I'm more worried about inbound. The only way outbound can possibly be unwanted (in my case) is if a virus turns my system into a mail server to spread the virus. I don't install anything that "phones home" unless I am aware of it.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:03 am
Preferences
Everybody has their own preferences. I prefer to know what is going in and out. Others may not.

Nice to know we do have the choice though isn't it !!

Murray
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 06:47 pm
Yup, preferences are always good. Do you know if Norton's firewall runs with as big of a footprint as Zone Alarm? I'm often tempted to call Zone Alarm bloatware.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 07:30 am
XP firewall vs Norton
I'm intrigues by the various - and strng - opinions here. From these responses and from other sources I've come to the conclusion that feelings are pretty equally divided.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:10 am
Norton
Craven:

If it is anything like their AV program or SystemWorks, then I would have to say at least as big..

Murray
0 Replies