December TV: Christmas Past, Christmas Past, Christmas Past

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 05:50 pm
What do you think about television programming in December? Do you look forward to favorite re-runs? Are you sick of recycled holiday spirit?
Are you on the side of the angels or rooting for the Grinch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:04 pm
Since I mostly wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid, wasn't interested as an adult, and it's all new to sozlet, it's actually kinda fun. We both watch for the first time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:30 pm
I love shows that promote Christmas spirit, though I wish they would get some new ones to go with the old. They rerun the regular shows to death during the holidays and I resent that tremendously. Better to run movies or something if they don't want to show new episodes.

I bought most of my favorite Christmas shows - Alistair Sim in Scrooge (A Christmas Carol), It's a Wonderful Life, the original Miracle on 34th Street, some of the cartoons - on VHS and DVD. No need to watch all the commercials.

I watch Scrooge an average three times a year, one of them in mid summer.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
I am so hoping I can see a 24 hour marathon running of A Christmas Story with Darren McGavin and the annoying bratty kid.

I remember one of big disappointments in life was the first time I saw The Grinch in color. For years I had viewed it only in good old B&W and then there it was...it destroyed all the colors I had created in my mind...over the years though, I adjusted and I still watch it a few times each December. Also like to watch Miracle On 34th Street each year and Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer along with a few others.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:57 am
"A Christmas Story" is classic. Those anachronistic 80's glasses always bother me, but the leg lamp, the tongue on the pole, "you'll put your eye out" -- classic.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:03 am
I don't think it's the movie as such which bothers me. It is more a matter of a certain station which rebroadcasts it non-stop for 24 hours. Originally I liked it...some...but after a while it starts to bug me especially when there are so many other Christmas films out there which are being neglected. Broadcast A Christmas Story 5 or 6 times per season, that is more than enough.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:07 am
I love Scrooge(with Bill Murray), that cruel fairy is so funny and i love it when they sing at the end.

I look forward to Wizard of Oz, Vicar of Dibley Xmas special(repeat or new)Morecombe and Wise or the Two Ronnies classics.Im sure a Bond film will be on at some point.

I dont mind repeats, just means I should switch off the TV and go do something else, maybe with real people, not the 2d tv people.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 09:14 am
Oh, I didn't know it was on that often...

I do like the original. (Saw it in the theater when it first came out, I was about 13, laughed my head off, then have seen it maybe twice since.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:19 am
The Bishops Wife (original) with David Niven and Cary Grant.

Nearly as good as Alistair Sim's Scrooge.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:37 am
oh sigh. i don't fit. we had russian and czech and slovak fairytales on tv, which they still re-run. like "Mrazik" (Frost, which is the russian version of Santa Claus: Grandpa Frost), or Czech Cinderella. Oh, or Perinbaba... there's no better time than christmas re-runs...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:45 am
http://videocdobaly.mobily4u.com/dobaly/Mrazik_CZ.jpg
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:04 am
Does anybody remember a version of Cinderella where she was travelling through snow in a horse drawn sleigh and 3 acorns fell on her head, each of them contained a new outfit?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:32 pm
Uh, no...I cannot say I remember that.
0 Replies