Music to my ears! Cell phones banned at NYC performances...

mac11

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:46 pm
NEW YORK CITY (Reuters) -- Cellular telephones won't be ringing in Broadway theaters, movie houses or concert halls -- at least not legally -- as of Sunday as New York City restricts the use of mobile phones to improve the quality of life there.

The new law bans the use of mobile phones in "any indoor theater, library, museum, gallery, motion picture theater, concert hall or building in which theatrical, musical, dance, motion picture, lecture or other similar performances are exhibited."

Passed by the City Council, which overrode a veto by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who said the ban was unenforceable, the law carries a fine of $50 for offenders who are caught and cited.

The legislation was first proposed by theater owners whose patrons complained of cell phones ringing during performances.

The ban, however, includes a large loophole -- city council members ruled their own chambers exempt, despite the often raucous, public performances that take place there.

Link to CNN article

Wow! I just wish they'd pass that law here. I can't remember the last time I went to the movies or the theatre when a cell phone didn't ring.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,964 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:54 pm
I am not sure that I like the idea of legislating behavior by actually banning the use of cell phones. I think that a reasonable compromise would have been that people may use cell phones with vibrating batteries (ones that don't ring) Then there could be a place in the building (lobby, restroom, etc.) where the person could take his call.

I object to a complete ban, even though I turn off my phone when I am in a theatre!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:55 pm
macsm11

I believe the appropriate response, if you're in their vicinity, is to scream "wanker" and then attack them with a bunch of celery! Twisted Evil

Mind you - it does mean carrying that celery around a bit! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 02:09 pm
Yea Laughing , here in the big town, the idiots can't call their cretin friends and say "Nothing, Well, I dunno. What do you want to do later?" loud enough to be heard three rows away where I sit with my popcorn and the two wasted $10.00 ticket stubs. Twisted Evil Wasted because I can't HEAR the movie! They don't know where they are. It's weird.

There are some people who are not conscious of the other creatures around them. They are the same ones who approach the front of a service line, walking past ten others, and are surprised that there's a line.
They aren't completely in this world, and we have given them cellphones and stereo headsets that prevent full apprehension of their environment and buzz loudly enough for subway passengers eight seats down to hear the zzzZZzzzXXZZZxx! Evil or Very Mad

By the way, my only phone is cell and I have this sweet little MP3 player that I use to mask out the subway's grinding grind. I shut off the phone when in public performance areas (including outdoors at Central Park)and I have tested the earpieces against extraneous noise.

Hey, we're here with you! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:36 pm
How's this for irony: I discovered this thread about an hour after arriving home from a performance of Joe Egg, at the American Airlines Theater on 42nd Street, which was interrupted not once, but twice, by the sound of ringing cell phones. Both times were near the beginning of the second act, so presumably the cell phone owners had used their phones during intermission and then forgotten to turn them off when they went back for the second act -- which is pretty stupid, since the theater made announcements, before both the first and second acts, reminding people to turn off their cell phones. Where's a cop when you need one?
0 Replies