Wildlife in Your Life

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:09 pm
@dadpad,
Beautiful!!!
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:31 am
@JPB,
Theres a BALD EAGLE sitting at the top of a sugar maple in the loqer pasture. Its only about 300 feet from the house and weve been watching him with a spot scope. What a joy!!
QUESTION
DO bald eagles like to eat chicken?
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:36 am
@farmerman,
Looka here son, I say son, did you see that hawk after those hens? He scared them, that Rhode Island Red turned White then Blue. Rhode Island. Red White and Blue – that’s a joke son. A flag waver. You’re built too low. Fast ones go over your head.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:45 am
@hingehead,
Youre a pichin but I aint catchin.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
DO bald eagles like to eat chicken?
They prefer young ones so you'll be safe.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 07:24 pm
RP just tossed a bat out. Again.

This was not a Louisville Slugger.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 07:15 am
@jespah,

wondering if the ultrasonic repellent doo-hickey's bothered it at all...
jespah

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 07:58 am
@Region Philbis,
I think they just gave it a great beat that it could dance to (er, fly to).
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 09:24 am
@jespah,

< shudder >
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 04:30 am

walked into the kitchen this morning and witnessed a wee spider lassoing a beetle that was easily 7 or 8 times it's size...

also saw a baby wabbit near the front steps yesterday.
it was using a dandelion to stay out of the sun, we think...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:51 pm
One of the dogs started barking at 1 in the morning, I got up to tell her to shut up and could see something must be agitating her by the way she was focused on the fence - but the other dog wasn't worried at all. I could see something quite big on the fence so I switched on the outside lights and saw this guy. Got the camera took a few shots. Clearly the lights, the dog and the flash weren't worrying it so I got up close and took the shot below. My apologies for what photoshops redeye tool did to his/her eyes - they are actually yellow with black pupils - but at least they are lest distracting the red orbs of the devil I started with.

More about the Tawny Frogmouth
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--umCOnpkFJU/Tm_4pCQ_WTI/AAAAAAAAAnk/MdJ9AspirD4/s800/tawnyfrogmouth.jpg
jespah

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:30 am
@hingehead,
Tawny Frogmouth sounds like a stripper's name. Wink
hingehead

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:37 am
@jespah,
Damn you're right Jespah - and my first pet was called Tawny, and I grew up on Frogmouth street!

In Australia they are also known as Mopokes for the call they make (not that this one said anything)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:46 am
Its turkey season again - certain times of year they just love to come out.

I always get a chuckle seeing them on the side of the road (three this morning) in a city. I was wonder - how the h*ll did they get here and why?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:30 pm
@dadpad,
Tho I live in Queens (New York City),
I have a family of racoons who parade past at nite, in both directions.

David
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 06:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Ha, I bet they're looking for trash -- the urban critters' buffet, as it were.

I normally see chipmunks on my walks but these days it's down to a one-chipmunk sighting day (there were days when I would see ten to a dozen). Perhaps they're busy with back to school.

Still waiting to see wild turkeys this year. They also stop by on that route, so I'm hopeful.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:27 am
apology for duplicate posted to beautiful animals but...

OK time for some of my own - the tree frogs are very vocal in our backyard at the moment. Using highly technical equipment ( a torch and a Canon Ixus and Photoshop) I deliver a slice of tropic suburbia....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SC-1GlQy8uM/Tt9YdB5mKJI/AAAAAAAAAok/U9UlIYo9D5w/s800/frog1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xfo4E4g5JHU/Tt9YeQDi8kI/AAAAAAAAAoo/ajwf6E4_hvU/s800/frog2.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OkNIq44eLv8/Tt9YfRUd0sI/AAAAAAAAAos/bPt2AqqbJoA/s720/frog3.jpg

More about the species
jhonson01

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:28 pm
Hi dear today i read this topic and i want to ask something relating to this topic which is that What kind of wildlife do you see in your neighborhood, city/town, and or state??

Birds: if you know the type of bird then say so.if anyone know here than contact here back i will wait here .only good answers would be appreciated....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 12:57 am
@hingehead,
Lawzee! Do you know my first thought on hearing you used a torch on your tree frogs? I'm sure it's just a language thing, but just in case, that's not how you cook frog legs.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:06 pm
@hingehead,
That time of year again. My camera's broken but the torch still works. Did this with instagram on my ipad - not bad if I do say so myself.

http://distilleryimage2.instagram.com/0141b80c49d511e2820422000a1f97b5_7.jpg