Wildlife in Your Life

Ionus

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:57 am
We may not have to go to other worlds to find ‘alien’ intelligence. The humble octopus may be the most intelligent creature on the planet, cleverer than people. Give an octopus its favourite crustacean in a sealed screw lid glass jar and stand back. After a short time it will work out the principle of a thread and will unscrew the jar to get the tasty food. The next time it will unscrew the lid with lightning speed. I know of people who can’t open milk cartons the tenth time around.

Researches have come to work in the morning to find the octopus looking happy in its tank and all the other tanks empty of fish. They toyed with the idea of cats, rats and birds eating their experiments.

No one even suspected the octopus until this occurred several times and it was the only creature surviving these mafia style disappearances. Then the cameras were installed and it was caught on film. The octopus has got out of its tank, and taken the dangerous measure of crawling across the floor, climbing up into the other tanks and eating all the undergraduates’ hard work. Yet another example of complete disdain for undergraduates. Security cameras confirmed it was the eight-armed bandit.

But why go back to its own tank? Crawling around outside the water is a particular dangerous undertaking, one they do not do in the wild. Climbing up and down tables whilst risking a fall is also very dangerous. The tank where it had eaten the fish had hidey-holes and was perfectly comfortable if you like that sort of underwater thing. It was far safer to stay put in the ex-fish tank. A reason such as if it left then the fish would come back demands a high level of intelligence anyway, but it fails to justify the risk. Both tanks could be associated with food. Why did it go back? It would have watched the fish being fed. Did it think it was eating someone else’s dinner and was lying by hiding the evidence or some equally diabolical intelligent reason?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 09:26 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

We may not have to go to other worlds to find ‘alien’ intelligence. The humble octopus may be the most intelligent creature on the planet, cleverer than people. Give an octopus its favourite crustacean in a sealed screw lid glass jar and stand back. After a short time it will work out the principle of a thread and will unscrew the jar to get the tasty food. The next time it will unscrew the lid with lightning speed. I know of people who can’t open milk cartons the tenth time around.

Researches have come to work in the morning to find the octopus looking happy in its tank and all the other tanks empty of fish. They toyed with the idea of cats, rats and birds eating their experiments.

No one even suspected the octopus until this occurred several times and it was the only creature surviving these mafia style disappearances. Then the cameras were installed and it was caught on film. The octopus has got out of its tank, and taken the dangerous measure of crawling across the floor, climbing up into the other tanks and eating all the undergraduates’ hard work. Yet another example of complete disdain for undergraduates. Security cameras confirmed it was the eight-armed bandit.

But why go back to its own tank? Crawling around outside the water is a particular dangerous undertaking, one they do not do in the wild. Climbing up and down tables whilst risking a fall is also very dangerous. The tank where it had eaten the fish had hidey-holes and was perfectly comfortable if you like that sort of underwater thing. It was far safer to stay put in the ex-fish tank. A reason such as if it left then the fish would come back demands a high level of intelligence anyway, but it fails to justify the risk. Both tanks could be associated with food. Why did it go back? It would have watched the fish being fed. Did it think it was eating someone else’s dinner and was lying by hiding the evidence or some equally diabolical intelligent reason?

I wonder how big he is and how much he weighs.
He seems to like seafood; I wonder if he 'll be interested in turkey for Thanksgiving.
(Who knows? Maybe he is grateful.)

I wonder whether he just feels at home in his own tank
and that he returns out of habit n nostalgia?

Maybe we can communicate with him with a code based on numbers.
He is not likely to know the Morse Code.
I 'd love to know his opinions.
Have any efforts been made to communicate with him ?

Is he able to breathe? or does he just hold his breath
until he gets back under water? Do we know how long
he is able to live out of his own element?
Does he have preferences in music?
I wonder if he is a Republican or a Democrat.

I bet that he is a libertarian or he might be an anarchist.

Its hard to conceive of how alien life on other planets
coud be more different than he is, relative to humans.

David
Ionus

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Have any efforts been made to communicate with him ?
All the efforts I am aware of to communicate with animals have been with primates, particularly apes and chimpanzees. One resulted in the death of a human baby.
Quote:
I 'd love to know his opinions.
I think he would be far more selfish than we are used to, and prone to violence.
Quote:
I bet that he is a libertarian or he might be an anarchist.
Probably an anarchist.
I base my opinions on his not having any herd mentality like us humans.
Quote:
Its hard to conceive of how alien life on other planets
coud be more different than he is, relative to humans.
Indeed. He lives in a different medium, is physically vastly different, communicates by colour flashes, is anti-social, and has a degree of hearing and touch vastly superior to ours by many times.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:04 pm
@Ionus,
Vision is pretty darn good, too. Robert reported that their vision is so fast that conventional television has so few frames per second that it doesn't register with them. They have a lot of interest in high definition tv.
Ionus

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:26 pm
@roger,
My cat is particularly interested in the Nat Geo type programs with lions in them. It squints and blinks at me when I change to the History channel.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:30 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

All the efforts I am aware of to communicate with animals have
been with primates, particularly apes and chimpanzees.
One resulted in the death of a human baby.
What happened to the human baby ?

Ionus wrote:

I think he would be far more selfish than we are used to, and prone to violence.
AGREED; my kind of fellow!

Ionus wrote:

Probably an anarchist.
I base my opinions on his not having any herd mentality like us humans.
Yeah!!!

David

Ionus

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What happened to the human baby ?
I cant find a ref now and it is some years since I read it so I will be minimalist. A researcher teaching an ape sign language was too trusting and took her baby in to the enclosure. The ape had always wanted her own baby and seems to have killed out of jealousy.

I thought it was the famous Washoe, but I cant find a ref.

There are some quite amusing stories to be found on apes who have been taught sign language, such as them telling their teachers they want to get pregnant, and then sitting down with a catalogue of male apes in zoos to pick a hunk. They even teach their children how to sign and have invented their own swear words by coupling other words. One that stuck in my mind was an ape who called the researcher a **** head because the researcher had to go home and leave them in the cage alone.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:22 pm
found this nest and shell fragment while trimming a gnarled old bittersweet

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_1574.jpg

blue jay at the feeder

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_1577.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:58 pm
@Ionus,
My junior cat is interested in Minesweeper. He likes to butt my hand and watch it all blow up.
Ionus

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 07:00 pm
@roger,
Sooo....you think it is the cats fault ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 08:14 pm

I wonder whether a chimp who knows sign language
can translate for others who don 't.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:48 pm
Once in an emu farm, I started strutting like an emu, moving my folded arms like its wings, and making the deep ‘hu’ noise emu’s seem found of. One ran over and started having sex with me. When I went home I looked up the gestation period for emus and was quite relieved when that time came and went without incident. I have been telling people for years that I’m good looking but it’s important to have proof. Unfortunately, the witnesses to the occurrence no longer associate with me.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:51 pm
@Ionus,
I didn't realize you were such a ladies man!
http://i47.tinypic.com/1zb9a40.jpg
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Very handsome man, me !
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:54 pm
@Ionus,
I shudder to think what you might look like for an emu to find you attractive.
Ionus

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:04 am
@roger,
You know...skinny legs, permanent smile and very large eyes on a pointy face, bobbing backward and forward when I walk, arms stuck by my side...and girls !! I am single !!!!(again)
Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:05 am
@Ionus,
sounds like heeven...
dadpad

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Lol
Ionus

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:06 pm
@dadpad,
Dont laugh at granitecranium because he cant spell heavin.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:04 am
@Ionus,
Heeven is a long time poster who's avatar resembles your description rather closely...