Dominic goes for biscuits
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
...and for spirits too, you know...
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:09 am
Sharing What You have read, heard or saw!
Hello and good Afternoon all:

Since the beginning of the forum, I have been sharing what I have been experiencing what I have read, heard or saw in the spiritual world of mine. I invite you all to do the same in this forum if you wish!

It would be a nice exchange of growth in the spiritual life! We can learn and grow from one another!

I will still be sharing daily as I have been doing but wanted to invite you to do the same!

God Bless!

Nancyann
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:02 pm
Christmas Card for you!
Today I am sending out my Christmas Card and Holiday greetings also! So happy holidays to all and Merry Christmas to all!

May all of your Christmas dreams come true for you and your family and friends! Hope your pets stay well this year for you and that your vet bills stay low! That your bill for the fuel this year do not sky-rocket and that Santa and His helpers gift you with all that you need and desire!

Nancyann
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 05:19 pm
Same to ya, nancyann - best wishes to you and yours, and everyone else - irrespective of ideology, philosophy, or theology Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:41 pm
Thanks for the kind thought, nancyann.

And in closing:

Dominos two bits and up.
Benny's got all the dominos.

Ite, missa est.
Deo gracias!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:00 am
timberlandko wrote:
Dominic goes for biscuits

Laughing You were my first out loud laugh of the day!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:03 am
neologist wrote:
Thanks for the kind thought, nancyann.

And in closing:

Dominos two bits and up.
Benny's got all the dominos.

Laughing You were my second!

thanks you two!

Catholic humor <chuckling, wiping laugh tear from corner of eye>, what could be better.

nancy - perhaps I'll post later when I have more time.

hey! How did the dinner w/ Jespah go?

Or has that not happened yet?
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:20 am
Prayer
Act of Submission to the Will of God

by Blessed James Alberione, founder of THE PAULINE FAMILY

My God, I do not know what will happen to me today. I only know that nothing will happen to me that was not not foreseen by you and directed to my my greater good from all eternity. This is enough for me!

I adore Your holy, eternal and unfathomable designs. I submit to them with my heart for love of you. I make a sacrifice of my whole being to You and join my sacrifice to that of Jesus, my divine, Savior.

In His name and by His infinite merits, I ask You to give me patience in my sufferings and perfect submission, so that everything You want or permit to happen will result in Your greater glory and my sanctification. Amen

This is a nice prayer!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:37 am
Nancyann; I see from your prayer posting that you believe God to have foreknowledge.

Do Catholics believe that God must, of necessity, know all things in advance? Or can he be selective in the things he chooses to know?
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:48 am
God
Hello:

From what I know, God knows all things and He has all knowledge. Anybody out there have a Catholic Catechism handy. I am not home at the present moment and my books are not handy and I do not want to say the wrong thing.

But, from my knowing of the teachings of God in my theology classes, He has all-knowledge. And He can do all things!

Help me theologians out there! Good Question!

Nancyann
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
Re: secular Institute for the laity under religious vows
nancyann Deren, IOLA wrote:
I belong to a secular Institute of women, who live in the world and work in the world and live in their homes but choose not to marry for the love of Jesus Christ. We take religious vows of poverty, chasitiy and obedience and have a religious superior to whom wo share our life's journey's and monthly reports on how things are going.

We have annual retreats together and meet in various parts of the USA together. We share phone calls during the year, e-mails for support and have ample time to share with our director. One must be Catholic to join and unmarried.

We have a postulancy, noviciate and a junurate all at home but all lasting for about 7 years in total of spiritual formations, direction and readings from a director in the Institute and from the Priest of the Institute!

The vowed life is such a fulfilling life that I just wanted to share it with you since it is not a common one. I have been under vows since I was 21 years old, over 25 years now and still happy!

Interesting...
Of course with me, it's a matter of being a gay man who took vows of poverty...school teacher wages aren't what some people think...I got the chastity thing going too as well as good old fashioned celibacy Very Happy

All joking aside though, it was refreshing to read your post.

As for the Catechism you asked on, here is a web site for it Catechism of the Catholic Church for future reference you can do a google search for it as well.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:06 pm
nancyann wrote:
From what I know, God knows all things and He has all knowledge. Anybody out there have a Catholic Catechism handy. I am not home at the present moment and my books are not handy and I do not want to say the wrong thing.

But, from my knowing of the teachings of God in my theology classes, He has all-knowledge. And He can do all things!

Help me theologians out there! Good Question!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church talks around the issue, essentially rolling the concept of omniscience into the concept of onmipotence (see 268 - 278). However, The attribute of omnicience specificaly is ascribed to God in The Baltimore Catechism, which asserts, in Part One - The Creed, Section 2, God and His Perfections:
Quote:
12. What are some of the perfections of God?
Some of the perfections of God are: God is eternal, all-good, all-knowing, all-present, and almighty ...

... 15. What do we mean when we say that God is all-knowing?
When we say that God is all-knowing we mean that He knows all things, past, present, and future, even our most secret thoughts, words, and actions.
Behold, O Lord, thou hast known all things, the last and those of old: thou hast formed me, and hast laid thy hand upon me. Thy knowledge is become wonderful to me: it is high, and I cannot reach it. (Psalm 138:5-6)

Catechism of The Eastern Orthodox Church also directly ascribes the attribute of omniscience to God, as do the catechisms of various Protestant sub-sects of Christianity, notably those of the Anglican Communion and of those developed from Luther's teachings. A number of passages in both the Old and New Testaments, whether Catholic or Protestant by imprimatur (and, where corresponding to Christian Old Testament tradition, passages in The Talmud, the progenitor of the the Christian canon), also directly or indirectly ascribe to God the attribute of omniscience.

Among the works of The Doctors of the Church, much is made of the question in the writings of both Augustine and Aquinas.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
Kind of gets us into the whole predestination/ free will question, doesn't it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
Certainly does, Neo - presenting a conundrum resolvable only through equivocation and rationalization.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:22 pm
Sez hoo?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:23 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:28 pm
I'd really like to start a new thread, but I find that a serious topic such as whether we have any control over our actions seems to generate much less interest than a thread entitled 'god is an upside down cake.'

Do you think we should try it anyway?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
New thread or current digression - whatever, as far as I'm concerned, in principle, anyhow, though it prolly wouldn't be nice to hijack nancyann's thread - she's a n00b here, and might not understand how that works Laughing :wink:
0 Replies