secular Institute for the laity under religious vows

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:35 pm
Thanks for the assistance
You should be running the site and assisting newbies like me who find the beginnings confusing. I will have to keep things simple until I understand them well enough! I looked at your profile and found it very interesting. I have a dog also, a 12 3/4 year old doberman pinscher. I saw that you love dogs! The vet said his lifespan was 8-10 years.

Nancyann
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:52 pm
Laughing Thanks - but while I don't run the site, nor would I even start to want to - my plate's full enough, thankyouverymuch Laughing - I do have a bit of familiarity with how computer stuff in general works - sorta, anyhow - and I offer what I think might help wherever I think it might be useful.

If you'd like, check out the Forum Help and/or the Computers (perhaps most particularly This Topic and its descendants) and Internet forums, and you'll see I'm active in them quite regularly.

Oh, and a big "Howdy" to your pup. If we really were the people our dogs think we are, this would be a much nicer planet to live on. There are far more bad dog owners than bad dogs.

Another tip you might find useful: clicking on the the color-formatted words down in my signature line at the bottom of all my posts will take you directly to the A2K FAQ, the A2K Help forum, and the A2K Terms of Service, respectively.
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:15 pm
response
Thank you!

Nancy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:32 pm
Yer Weccum. Another tip - you shouldn't include your email address in your posts and/or signature line on forums, blogs, and/or newsgroups - doing so is just about a sure-fire guarantee of inviting all sortsa stuff you'd rather not see or deal with into your email inbox. There are automated programs, or "bots", out there all over the place that crawl forums, blogs, and newsgroups specifically to harvest email addresses for the use of folks with other than nice intentions. Also, as it is a link, an email address shouldn't be incorporated into an A2K signature, so that really oughtta go away.

An ounce of prevention and all that ...
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
Night Prayer
Some Prayers from"This Jesus is the stone which, rejected by you builders, has become the chief stone supporting all the rest." Acts of the Apostles 4:11

Give thanks to the Lord for he is good,
for his love endures forever.
Let the sons of Isreal say:
"His love endures forever."
Let the sons of Aaron say :
"His love endures forever."
Let those who fear the Lord say:
"His love endures for ever."

I called to the Lord in my distress;
he answered and freed me.
The Lord is at my side; I do not fear.
What can man do against me?
The Lord is at my side as my helper:
I shall look down on my foes.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust trust in men:
it is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in Princes....

READING:
Galatians 6: 7b-8
A Man will reap only what he sows. If he sows in the field of the flesh, he will reap a harvest of corruption; but if his seed-ground is the spirit, he will reap everlasting life.
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:45 pm
e-mail address
I took it out. You have it though!
Nancyann :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:57 pm
Kewel - we'll turn you into an accomplished, web-savvy 'netster yet! Laughing
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
vocation
Vocation to a Secular Institute: The Institute of Our Lady of the Annunciation

Consecrated Life for Women Living in the World

Nature:

It is an Institute aggrerated to the Society of St. Paul whose lifestyle is that of the "secular institutes." The members, called Annunciationists, are women totally consecrated to God by means of the three evangelical vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. But they live their consecration remaining and living in the world.

The Institute, formally approved by the Holy See on April 8, 1960, is one of the Institutes of the Pauline Family founded by Blessed James Alberione to respond to the needs of the times. The members share the same spirituality as all Paulines, and that is, to follow Christ who is the Way, Truth, and the Life, in such a way as to incarnate Him in their lives and thus be able to say with St. Paul: "The life I live now is not my own; Christ is living in me." (Gal. 2:20)

Apostolate

Blessed James Alberione at the turn of the century had an intuition of the developments of science and technology in the twentieth century and the consequent need to reach out to contemporary people who tends to be lost in the complexities of the times.

He founded the Pauline Family to answer this need and in this context the role of the Institute of Our Lady of th Annunciation is to reach out where Pauline priests, brothers and sisters cannot reach. The Annunciationist are immersed in the world and they are to be the salt, the leaven, the light, wherever they work, wherever they live, wherever they are!

It is primarily the apostolate of presence: a silent witnessing to the reality of God even in secular preoccupations. Without being identified as religious, the Annunciationst seek to make Christ's conception possible wherever they are. Of course, they may also take part in overt apostolic activities, especially those involving communication. Aware of the power of mass media, they are to use the media to spread the Gospel and to influence people to use media properly.

Vows

For the Annunciationist their work and their being is their apostolate is their apostolate. It is, therefore, very imoprtant that they life Christ in their consecration. This takes place through living of the vows.

Obedience requires from them to always seek the will of God and to live it at all times. The will of God is known through prayerful discernment, with the help of the superiors. Being aggregrated to the Society of St. Paul, the Major Superiors of this Congregation are also the major Supeeriors of the Institute. The care of the Institute, however, is generally exercised through a deligate who is appointed by the Major Superior.

Chastity means the capacity to love as Christ has loved. It therefore implies availability, which is further, guaranteed by a life of celibacy.

Poverty is acknowledgeding one's sheer nothingness before the Lord and the consequent trust in the Lord who is everything. This means, therefore, using material means in dependence upon the Lord. It is acknowledging that everything is the Lord's and one is merely the administrator.

In this regard, the Annunciationist may dispose of her material means according to her judgment as administrator, subject to obedience to her superiors. She may therefore, continue to help her family in case this is needed. But she must keep in mind her own security as well as the contingencies of sickness and old age. She must further set aside what may be necessary for her membership in the Institute, like the annual retreat.

Concretetly the practice of poverty entails the drawing up of an annual report of her administration for her previous year and getting approval for a budget for the coming year.

Life of Consecration

The practice of the vows is only a means to live a life of consecration, which in itself entails a lot more. Foremost is the life of prayer, which means union with God through prayer configuration in Jesus Christ.

To foster the life of consecration, the Institute prescribes certain practices. Daily the Annunciationist is urged to participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and receive communion. This is to be completed with meditation, the examination of conscience and the one-hour Visit to the Blessed Sacrament. he last practice is characteristic of all members of the Pauline Family around the world! It is according to the mind of our founder Blessed James Alberione, SSP, who stredded that we are all born of the Eucharist!

Monthly practices include the monthly recollection. Those living near each other are asked to do this together. There is also the obligation to study to foser growth of the person, and of course there is the need of the sacrament of reconciliation.

Annually the member is asked to attend the annual retreat. The retreat. The retreat is a full 5 days and takes place at various area of the country decided by the Institute Director, generally in areas where the members live. The obligation to attend is very strict especially for the members in formation, since the passage from one stage to another takes place during the annual retreat.

A lot of the life of consecration of the members depends upon their own initiatives. The members do not live in community and so depend upon their elders or their superiors. In this regard and in view of helping them focus on the total oblation of themselves, there are monthly and annual reports to be accomplished.

Stages

Candidates must be Catholic betwen 20-35 (Superior General can dispense the age limit.) Other requirement are the following:

1) Divine Call
2) Freedom from bodily diseases and physical defects that may interfere with the obligations of membership in the Institute
3)Financial Stability to guarantee livelihood and contingencies of sickness and old age;
4)Sufficient time and freedom to take part in the works proper to the Institute

We have a Profile, and aspirancy, a postulancy, novitiate, a juniorate before one make perpetual vows! It take About 7-8 years before making perpetual vows!
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Retreats every summer
Our retreats are generally in June or early July when it is nice weather and very warn, nice walking weather. They are not at all in the same place. Years ago I remember some of our retreats being in Canfield, Ohio, where the Society of St. Paul have their main house. Their chapel is a beautiful mosaic behind the altar from Rome years ago. It is air conditioned for those very mid days. We had our conferences in the chapel and our mass at about 11 a.m. for us on retreat.

They have acres of land on which to walk and pray. Stations of the Cross to say our prayers and for us "sisters in christ" to walk, laugh and share our year's journey together." We often did that in between conferences.

We have talented members who sing and play the guitar for mass.

At the sign of peace we go to each other and greet each other.

The retreat conferences are very great and powerful. We have had our our Institute Director for our retreat director a few times and we have had the Daughers of St. Paul as a retreat directress. Alll were excellent and just what we needed at that time!

On the last day of the retreat is a special mass when we move up a step if we are in formation. If one is a postulant, then one becomes a novice and receives her "Statute." Her rule/"CONSTITUTIONS." And so forth Vows are made during that mass! Everything happens at that mass! We do everything TOGETHER! WE ARE ONE! This coming year, we are due to have two of our "sisters in Christ," make their perpetual vows. One lives in Louisiana and one lives in Boston.

Our Institute Director is plannning to have our retreat in Boston this summer! They will make their vows together! We will all be prsent at their happy occassion! That is such a special time when perpetuals are made, when a member says, "for life."
She has 7 to 8 years of readiness and formation and studying, 7 to 8 years of living the life before she says "Yes to Jesus Master!" We all long for that day! I long for that day. I wish it were her today!

Just wanted to share my joy with you!

Nancyann
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:17 am
Joy in His Will
I once took a course at Duquesne University by Fr. Adrian van Kaam. One day he stopped his lecture and said to us, "Now listen if you never remember anything I ever said to you remember this: If you want to know hell in life buck God aand fight Him all the way and keep fighting Him aand doing what pleases you and what takes the easy way out.

If you want to know what purgatory is buck life a little less, but stll rank and rave and not have that peace that which you so long for.

If you want to know what heaven is wake up each day and do the will of God, no matter what even in the littlest of things and you will find peace beyond all measure.

I search for about 11 years for a home for my vocation all around the country--everywhere! Coundn't find the place until, I just surrendered in prayer and allowed God through my spiritual director to truly speak to me. And then I listened and didn't buck anymore, and found peace. May you find God on your journey every day in the littlest of things. Where there is bucking, turn around and look for peace. Peace is where God is!

Nancyann
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:40 am
If a member in perpetual vows wishes to leave,
what steps must be taken?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Did you say earlier you know Hawk?
(bobsmythhawk, that is)
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:56 am
Perpetuals Vows! Leaves!
Thank You for asking that! That was a good question! I like your advent wreath. It is nice. Your quote is very nice also! Well since I am only speaking from the heart and say a member of the Institute and not as an "official" I am just giving what I know to be my experience! One must follow canon law and the laws of the Institute proper!

Since it takes 7-8 years to get to perpetuals, one has so many time at the retreat to say "Yes, Lord I wish to renew my vows once again." Before that process, once must fill out an evaluation of questions sent into the Institute Director which he alone sees and goes over with ou about your year. He helps you with whatever you need each year if you need help with anything before renewals! So after perpetuals, if one choses to leave, one discusses with one's Institute Director, the puts it in writing and submits it to Him. He then sends it to Rome as he sent in your sequest to make your vows to Rome to the Superior General with His recomendation. He would ask to have you dispensense of your vows. He would then contact you of the decision of Rome!

All along the whole formaton process, it a process of love and discernment, just like love. Both sides want to be happy! Both sides want it to be RIGHT! Rome wants to to be right also!
Our Institute Directore os a very understanding and a deeply spiritual man of God. He has guides us along the way as he has his Society of St. Paul group for many years.

Just like marriage, the whole courting process and dating process is a process of love and knowing God's will for us! If there is peace, we can say "Yes even inthe stormy days ahead!"

Nancyann
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
Yes I know Hawk very well. We have coffee at the same restau
George wrote:
Did you say earlier you know Hawk?
(bobsmythhawk, that is)
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
Hawk
Hawk gave me the site of a2k and here I am. Without him showing me here I would never have found it!

Nancyann
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:26 am
Hawk's a sweetie. Smile
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:03 pm
kind man!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:05 pm
I don't have time everyday to read what you've posted nancy, but I'm going to take some time later and read.

maybe on the weekend.

I just started a book a little bit ago about the role of women in the CChurch. Too early to discuss.
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:08 pm
women in the Catholic Church
Thank You for tuning in! Sound like an interesting book. Let us all know how it goes and post some of it if you'd like to. I post daily for all to read. I know you are busy with other sites.

I am reading INTIMACY WITH GOD by KEATING and All Keatings other works I just finished. He is very interesting!

n
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:12 pm
Evening of Recollection
Tomorrow evening three of us Annunciationists will be having our evening of recollection together from 5 p.m.-8:30 p.m.

nancyann
0 Replies