Charlton Heston

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:13 pm
As Ben Hur and Moses, who else can be more prominent than him?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,717 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:15 pm
Ben Hur and Moses
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:47 pm
Almost anybody with biceps and a stone face.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:18 pm
While I don't care for Heston in some ways, I enjoyed him immensely in Ben Hur, El Cid and even The Ten Commandments. Sure, the latter was particularly hokey, but it did have its moments.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:33 pm
He looks great in a loin cloth, but I hate his politics.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:50 am
I liked films with him, like the Omega Man, Soylent Green and the Planet of the Apes, but those were acting roles, I do not have to like him as a person.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 05:04 am
Paaskynen wrote:
I liked films with him, like the Omega Man, Soylent Green and the Planet of the Apes, but those were acting roles, I do not have to like him as a person.

With you there Paaskynen, he was good in those and they were enjoyable films.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:47 am
he is still alive, a very old man.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 08:11 am
Charleton Heston was not an actor, just a hunk of beefcake who could flex his muscles very convincingly. He was the Arnold Schwratzenegger of his day. The movies so far cited were all very enjoyable movies. They would have been just as enjoyable with any other muscleman in the roles. They are a credit to their directors, not the stars. The Ten Commandments, in particular, was so far over the top, it can almost be viewed as a Monty Pyhton type of comedy. Debra Padget saying to Heston, "Oh, Moses, you impetuous fool!" is priceless.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 08:24 am
Good actor. Which is more than I can say for his politics in particular his leadership of the NRA.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
au1929 wrote:
Good actor. Which is more than I can say for his politics in particular his leadership of the NRA.

well, the full measure of the man is where did he stand on the most important issue of his day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Poitier_Belafonte_Heston_Civil_Rights_March_1963.jpg/300px-Poitier_Belafonte_Heston_Civil_Rights_March_1963.jpg

Taken March 1963, during the Civil Rights March on Washington.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:16 pm
au1929 wrote:

What were his politics that you disagreed with au1929?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
What's your brief against the NRA, Au1929?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 03:34 pm
Heston did movie from liberalism to conservatism in his later days but could one consider the decline of his cognitive ability as part of the reason? The conservative mind is boxed up in a small package of indefinable political idealistic theories vaguely based on Ayn Rand. Want to read how kookie that had become? Read "Atlas Shrugged." Heston was slated at one time to play the protagonist in a film version of that novel.

He was swept into his Oscar in "Ben Hur" with that Best Picture's tidal wave of wins but it's doubtful he really deserved it. It is his best role and he proceeded to rubber stamp every character with the same persona. He played heroic figures as basically one dimensional film hunks, even Moses. He was cast to promote the popularity of these films and it did work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:17 pm
When I watch a Heston or John Wayne movie, I forget about their politics. Both made some clunkers, but both made some I like very much.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:05 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Heston did movie from liberalism to conservatism in his later days but could one consider the decline of his cognitive ability as part of the reason? The conservative mind is boxed up in a small package of indefinable political idealistic theories vaguely based on Ayn Rand.

As a semi-conservative person who was at one time bordering along the outer edges of liberalism...or maybe just radicalism...I can make clear that my move towards more conservative ideas and viewpoints has had more to do with what I have seen happen around me. It has nothing to do with cognitive ability and to decide that only cognitively impaired people can have conservative views is very close to absurd.

Further let me make quite clear that my mind is in no way boxed up in a small package or any other package of theories based on Ayn Rand. I do not base my ideas solely on the ideas or writings of any one person. My political viewpoint and my spiritual viewpoint were arrived at over time through the series of events and the people and thoughts and writings which have come together to make and define my life.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:18 am
Merry Andrew
What is my brief against the NRA. It's stance on gun control.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:23 am
Strugis, your concept of conservatism and the prevailing condition of the current politics appears to be drastically different. The politicians rarely think like individual citizen, having their own agendas and buckling under the weight of politics in Washington. Heston wasn't just become boxed in by his politics but also boxed in by his screen persona.

Funny my typo got highlighted -- "movie." Very Happy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Strugis, your concept of conservatism and the prevailing condition of the current politics appears to be drastically different. The politicians rarely think like individual citizen, having their own agendas and buckling under the weight of politics in Washington. Heston wasn't just become boxed in by his politics but also boxed in by his screen persona.

Funny my typo got highlighted -- "movie." Very Happy

has it ever occurred to you that perhaps Heston was not boxed in but was being true to himself and his own ideas?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:16 pm
Thanx for the clarification, au1929. As a card-carrying member of both the ACLU and the NRA, I have no problems with the NRA's stance on gun control whatsoever. I think that, if anything, this country has far too many gun control laws now, the majority of them unenforceable.
0 Replies