Vintage decorating?

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:46 am
Hiya,

I put this here cause well decorating is art.......

I will be moving into a new apartment in a couple weeks and I can't wait to decorate it. I would like to give my living room a vintage super stylish kind of look....lol....and i'm in need of some neat/different/crazy/interesting ideas on how I could accomplish this look properly. I don't want my apartment to look like I just filled it with old junk, so I need some style ideas. Any suggestions? Neat pieces of furniture? I really don't know where to start. What do you think? Can you help me?.....Am I helpable?......lol

Please post pictures of any items if you can, thanks!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:35 am
When you say "vintage", what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to a decorating style of a certain period? Which one?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:38 am
Good question, Phoenix.

Vintage used to mean Victorian now it seems to mean mid-century industrial style.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:48 am
That IS a good question. I'm not sure i'm looking for a certain era style, or if I just want to combine vintage things from all era's to form something that looks neat. If I had to choose though, i'm thinking 60's, 70's.......(I do own a hippy van)......I'm not into floral material or anything....lol...but bright colours, weird lamps, rugs, wall hangings, basically just unique objexts that a person doesn't see every day in the modern world. There really is no right answer here, basically what ever you think its a unique peice of advise. Go crazy and just have fun!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:03 pm
I like that style too. Right now it is very "hot" here in Portland which means I can't afford it.

I see tons of it posted on craigslist.

For example here is a search (for my city) under "vintage" : http://portland.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=9&subAreaID=0&query=vintage&catAbbreviation=fur&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Here is a search for "mid century": http://portland.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=9&subAreaID=0&query=mid+century&catAbbreviation=fur&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

There is some cool stuff listed that might help you get some good ideas of styles to look in second hand stores, etc., for.

Good luck!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 02:38 pm
Excellent links boomerang! They're certainly are some neat things in there, and thanks to you I now have a few ideas to go on.

Hey have you guys seen these?
vinyl record bowls

I like'm.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 02:43 pm
Check out local auctions. I've purchased some wonderful furniture at very low prices. Go to the preview first. If you are confused about bidding just watch other people and you will get the idea. The cheapest stuff goes at the end, the best stuff is usually put up after the first 45 minutes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 03:09 pm
Auctions are a good idea.

When I started to get serious about auctions, I made a deal with myself not to bid til I'd been to five auctions <turned out to be a good idea, as bidding styles are very different in particular communities> - and I kept notes in a small notebook which also held auction ads - so I could get an idea of pricing.

I scored some seriously good stuff over the years. Enough so that I nearly became a picker for a guy with a shop.

You can really develop your 'eye' by going to a series of auctions in a shortish period of time.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
Auctions are a good idea, yes. I think I would need some one to go with me though.( I tend to get a little carried away with the competition......lol)

<remembers back to the first few times shopping on ebay>

But yes, great things come out of auctions, i'll have to take a look in the local paper............
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 03:23 pm
ahhhhhhh auction fever

I always set my limits before I go in. Something like no more than $100 for the entire sale - and no more than $10 per item <differing depending on the type of sale>. I've learned to stick to the pre-set limits. It's part of what makes auctions work for me. A day at an auction can be more productive and less expensive than an evening out with dinner and a movie.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 03:23 pm
Also, check out estate sales. Older people may just have the 3-4 decades old stuff that you are looking for. 'Round these parts, going to estate sales is practically an Olympic sport! Very Happy
0 Replies