Oil Leak on 1995 Monte Carlo

mayjj

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:22 am
I have a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo with 85,000 miles on it. It is a 3.4 Liter Dual Overhead Cam V6. I can't locate where the oil is leaking from. So far I have had a new oil pan gasket, a front seal, and the balancing shaft seal replaced and the problem with the leak is just as bad as day 1. It looks like it is possibly coming from soewhere directly below the head. Does anyone know if these engines are prone to leaks in a certain location that would at least give me something to look for? Thanks in advance for your help!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,401 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:58 am
Don't know the particular engine, but below the head and above the pan sounds like a leaky oil pressure transmitter. The leak can be through the device, not just from the gasket, by the way.

If that doesn't seem like the problem, cover the intake and ignition elements and give the engine a good wash. The airstream from the radiator fan can otherwise hide the actual source of a leak.
0 Replies

caughtonce

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 02:34 pm
I also had the same problem, just fixed it. the oil leak is either from the head gasket but more than likely from a seal just below the head closes to the fire wall. It's more than likely come from the o ring there the distuber would be if there was one. that the air filter out and the hoses that lead to the manifold and look between the two heads from the drivers side you'll see what looks like a hold down clamp against the block, the seal is about the size of a half dollar. hope you got the problem fixed by now Smile Smile
fishin

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:27 pm
The 3.4L has a common "leak" which is, as "caughtonce" mentioned, the oil pump driveshaft O-ring. It's a $.25 part but a pain to replace.

btw, welcome aboard to both Mayjj and caughtonce! Smile
0 Replies

barbi08

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 11:10 am
someone tell what to do
i have a 95 monte carlo that was stolen and then later returned in pretty bad condition
we had it repaired and now 2 monthes later the shop tells me that we have a leaky o ring and its considered a head job and will be 1200 to fix
how likely is it that this occured while the thief was joy riding??
there is also more damage to the right strut and tie rod end ect.
0 Replies

stargazer6071

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:24 pm
@caughtonce,
I have the EXACT same problem with my 95 monte. Was told it is a $1200 fix. Trying to find someone to fix it cheaper but not much luck! Wish I knew about this before I bought the car (bought it used 2 weeks ago!)
0 Replies