have an opinion?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm
Looks a an invitation to a pissing contest.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:37 pm
When I was young, noone had a chance. Now, I'm afraid, you'd all die laughing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
Hey, laughter is good for our health. The least you can contribute to humanity. LOL
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:50 pm
Yes, but not pity.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:04 am
LOL! I'd never laugh at you, JL. Only with you ;-) :-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:06 am
Like Montana, I don't laugh at friends - only with them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
Yup yup ;-)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:28 am
I've been so busy over Christmas that I've missed all these interesting discussions Crying or Very sad

I totally agree with the ideas put forward - keep it but have a plaque with the true history and the idea of another mural is great.

JLN - Paris?????? lucky you - be sure to go to the Marmottan museum - you'll love it. It's in a beautiful old house and packed with Impressionist paintings, there's one of Monet's palettes and begging letters to his friends when he's desperate for money and in the basement are huge Giverny paintings as big (and I liked them even better) as the ones in the Orangerie. Also don't miss the Rodin museum, also in a gorgeous house with wonderful gardens - there's a great display of his drawings as well, which I specially like.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:50 am
You can start a Paris tour here:

Musée Rodin
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
Well, THANK YOU, Francis!!! That's more like it!

Here I am, innocently checking the Art forum, looking for my daily dose of truth and beauty, and I wind up in a thread about Dys peeing off porches. Good Lord, Montana, let's NOT send him to Congress! That brings up the image of him peeing on the steps of the Capitol. And as much as I think that might be a well-deserved political statement, I don't think it qualifies as Art.

On second thought, it MIGHT qualify as Performance Art.

I wonder if he could get a NEA grant for "Pissed Off at Congress"?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:45 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:35 pm
Eva, and that's bound to win a Whitney prize.
Thanks for the leads, Guys. I will definitely go to the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre. My emphasis will be, to the extent my party permits, the French modernist. Can't wait for that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:33 pm
JLN, I agree about not missing the Musee d'Orsay. It's one of my favorites in Paris.
I visited in April of 1994, and the line to enter the museum was very long. It might be a good idea to find out the hours and go early.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/img107.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:56 pm
When I was in Paris in '02, I saw the Orsay and the Louvre. I wish I'd had time to see the Rodin as well, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss the other two. I also wanted to see the museum with Monet's Water Lilies (can't remember the name of it), but it was closed for renovations at the time so that made my choices somewhat easier.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
The Louvre is so vast that it would take you more than a day to get around it and it is all very old work - now that might interest you. I find it less exciting.

I preferred the D'Orsay and the Orangerie, the Jeu de Paume and the Pompidou Centre (another one which takes a long time to get around but opens later than most).

Oh I'd love to get to Paris again

I didn't make it to the Museum of Modern Art and the Picasso - time ran out on me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
JL, I am very happy to read you are going to be going to Paris... how wonderful!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:50 pm
Thanks, Osso.
Vivien which museum shows more of the French modernists?My wife has been to the Louvre and affirms that one day is not enough. We'll be there only two or three days.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:54 pm
It was calculated that if you watch each work at the Louvre for 15 seconds, it will take you six months, all opening days, to see the whole museum.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:01 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Thanks, Osso.
Vivien which museum shows more of the French modernists?My wife has been to the Louvre and affirms that one day is not enough. We'll be there only two or three days.

Definately the Musée national d'Art moderne - Centre Georges Pompidou, Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, with a bit less known art or Fondation Cartier pour l'Art Contemporain.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
Walters leads sound good - the only one we had time for was the Pompidou - many floors and lots to see so allow plenty of time - also some contemporary commercial galleries nearby - not to mention nice cafes!

I'd do some googling to see what shows are on and narrow them down before you go as you haven't got long and there is just so much to see.
0 Replies