RCP disconnected

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:31 pm
I've installed a DSL program and got an excellent result (thought so :wink: ).

But than a notice appeared, saying that the RCP wasn't connected and the computer had to be shut down.

This happened even in safe modus - no chance to de-install that program or to use system recovery.
[I'm not sure, if the translation for the termini technici is correct.]

So: any idea besides reinstalling Windows, buying a new computer or bringing it to the technican? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 888 • Replies: 11
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
Walter - just hanging around watiting for Timber to come along - this happened to me when I had dialup some time ago when a trojan or worm or some other nasty malware thing was doing the rounds. It drove me up the wall. So perhaps a thorough scan might get rid of the thing (assuming that it is the problem). Just a thought.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:41 pm
Thanks, goodfielder.

However, anytime I try tp start some program - whatever it is - I get this warning "due to .. windows will be shut down in 1 min ...

I don't think that's a virus: the software I've downloaded, was from T-online, at least everything looked 'official'.

(It doesn't drive me up the wall anymore since Mrs. Walter's computer is even better than mine.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
If it is a device causing the problem, then you should be able to disable it and then restart Windows.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:59 pm
Hmm, seems I wait a bit until timber arrives to get some more ideas.

Thanks so far!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:52 am
)Well, seems I'll have to re-install windows. (I had that! Twisted Evil)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:02 am
You sure that isn't RPC? Anyhow, what you describe is awful like the signature of a yuckware problem. You might wanna check out This Thread
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:11 am
Yes, I really suppose it's some yuckware - had that a year before as well.

And I just now remember: some obscure warning that a firwall (one, I've never installed at all) couldn't be connected, appeared on screen as well.

Just told the Missus that I've important things to do this afternoon and what be at bad mood for some time :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:17 am
Oh, yeah, and when that "shutdown warning" box pops up, immediately go st Start>Run, type, without the quotes, "shutdown -a" (observe the space between "shutdown" and "-a"), then click "OK" or hit ENTER - that oughtta abort the shutdown call the worm has initiated. A good first-thing-to-try would be to download and run STINGER. I'd also recommend a thorough scan with your own antivirus, and mebbe a runthrough of one or more of the online virus scanners

and ferchrissakes ... keep your firewall up and running!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:25 am
One more thing here - sorry it took me a while to notice your topic, Walter - It just seems like I'm everywhere all the time; I'm really not :wink: Actually, sometimes the least likely place for me to be is anyplace sombody really wants me to be Mr. Green
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:31 am
No need to be sorry or excuse, timber - I do know how bad A2K is paying your work :wink:

Actually, I just hoped someone would tell me something like: only hit that button and then within seconds all is fine again. Laughing

But since I know that some are re-installing their system voluntarily more often than I'm "forced" to do ... :wink:

Thanks, timber!!!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:33 am
timber nailed it - that was the one that got me some time ago - blaster. The Stinger thing worked well.
0 Replies