When A Cop Pulls You Over, What Do You Say?

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
Of course, Cops ask stupid questions when they pull people over. And we are forced to give the wrong answer as there is no RIGHT answer.

For example, a cop pulls you over and inevitably says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

How does one answer this? If I say "no" then it looks like I'm a careless and reckless driver with no conscious idea of what I'm doing. If I say "yes" then it looks like I'm deliberatly thumbing my nose at the law. In either case, I am forced to incriminate myself. But we can't exercise our Constitutional right to silence either because that would make us look even more guilty.

Perhaps honesty if the best policy. "Yes sir. I was going 90MPH in a 35MPH lane. Please write me a ticket and bring me to jail."

Nah! That won't work. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,236 • Replies: 36
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
I say, "do you?"
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
Say nothing. Seriously, don't admit to anything. Just say "No, officer." He's going to write you a ticket for whatever he is going to write you a ticket for and should you know what you really were going and he tries to screw you, you can go in and fight it in court, as you have not admitted to anything.

If he pulls you over, you are already "guity" so silence is the best answer imo because then you can't have it held against you should you want to fight it later.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:07 pm
I say "Good Consternoon, Afterble. I know I was going at 90mph, but I only do that when I'm drunk. I'm not as drink as you drunk I am, so if you'll be a good little bobby and write out your pathetic little speeding ticket, I'll weave my way home."
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
I got pulled over last month by a statey... he was out of his juristication and had been following behind me for quite some time... he asked me if I had been chatting with the person I was with because he said I was swerving a little... when in fact he had pulled me over because I didn't use my turn signal because I was lost and had to take the turn unexpentantly.... but he asked for my liscense and registration and when I opened the club box and he saw all the paper I had to go through and he saw I was in a dress.. he told me to just forget about it and have a good night...

He was hot too so I was all smiles...

Just felt like telling the story.. sorry

I usually fight the ticket... not that I get many...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:34 pm
That's a good idea CrazieLady. Next time I'm speeding down the freeway I must make sure to fill my glove box to capacity and wear a dress.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
Quote:
For example, a cop pulls you over and inevitably says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

I always like the response, "no idea, surprise me!"

One thing you shouldn't say though is, "no idea, not that it matters, you'll only make it up anyway." Very Happy

I admit the "do you know how fast you were going" approach is a bit tricky though. I don't really know why it's used. I was always instructed to be right up front eg

"Good morning (evening etc) driver. I've just followed and timed you along (name the street, road, footpath) at a distance of (nominated - three hundred metres, two hundred kilometres etc) at a speed of (nominate the speed). Do you have any reason for that speed?"

In most jurisdictions speeding is an absolute offence anyway, meaning that your knowledge of your speed is irrelevant. But of course if the police officer can prove you didn't know, didn't care and were recklessly indifferent to your speed and driving behaviour it might result in other charges relative to driving behaviour.

But all this is irrelevant if you get pinched by a speed camera. They're pretty silent.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:38 pm
The best thing is to say nothing. As you said, you don't want to admit to anything and you don't want to appear as if you did not know your speed either. It is hard to do, but do not actually answer. Also, do not display an attitude. The nice officer will certainly remember you if you tick him off. He will certainly note to attend court if you fight it. He will certainly not reduce the ticket if otherwise might have, or just give you a warning.

Smile. Be courteous. Refrain from giving information other than your name, licence, insurance etc. when asked.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:47 pm
...and never vomit on his shoes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:50 pm
I always say: "I don't know, I am trying to keep up with traffic"

One time, when I said that to a motorcycle CHP who stopped me, he laughed out loud and replied: "It probably was the
other way around. They tried to keep up with you" http://www.borge.diesal.de/schiel.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:

I always like the response, "no idea, surprise me!"

One thing you shouldn't say though is, "no idea, not that it matters, you'll only make it up anyway." Very Happy

I was also told that you should never ever reach for your glove box before the cop approaches the car and you should have your hands on the steering wheel. Maybe I just live in a place where the police get shot or stabbed by pull overs but I was told by a cop here to never do that.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
Crazie, if you got pulled over by a MA state trooper in MA, then he's never out of his jurisdiction. They can give tickets anywhere in the state. Unless he pulled you over out of his state, then that's just plain weird.

I don't think I've ever been asked "do you know how fast you were going?" If I was way over the limit, I wouldn't admit it.

One tip that may help, at least it shows respect to the officer(especially at night). Before he/she gets to your car, shut it off, put on your interior light, put down the window, and put both hands on the top of the steering wheel, so they can see where your hands are. Cops don't know who you are, and they're at risk every time they pull someone over. And if your registration is in the glove box, tell them, "I have to get it out of the glove box."

May turn a ticket into a warning.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:54 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

One tip that may help, at least it shows respect to the officer(especially at night). Before he/she gets to your car, shut it off, put on your interior light, put down the window, and put both hands on the top of the steering wheel, so they can see where your hands are. Cops don't know who you are, and they're at risk every time they pull someone over. And if your registration is in the glove box, tell them, "I have to get it out of the glove box."

May turn a ticket into a warning.

Great minds think alike.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:06 pm
The New York State Throughway from the Pennsylvania line to Buffalo is a typical Robert Moses parkway--four lanes, two in each direction, each pair separated by a very wide, heavily wooded median. It does one well to pay attention and not to speed--but we all forget now and again. I was on my way to Canadia of a Fourth of July weekend, and came around a long curve at about 80 miles an hour, and about half way through the curve, i saw Smokey pulled up in a grove of old trees, and it was obvious he had the radar on me. So, as he hit his lights and sirens and pulled out, i hit my four-way flashers, pulled over, shut off the engine, put my license and the registration on the dash, with my hands on top of the wheel. He came, and asked me if i knew why he had pulled me over. I looked at him with an expression of surprise, and then replied, admittedly in a sarcastic tone: "I believe that would be because i was driving at an excessive speed."

He went back the cruiser with my papers, diddled around for the regulation length of time, and then came back, handed me the license and registration, saying: "It doesn't appear you're wanted by anyone. You didn't bullshit me about the speeding, and you pulled over right away. Since it's a holiday weekend and the traffic is still light, i'm lettin' you off . . . this time."

I was very polite thereafter, and it confirmed for me my "dealing with the Man" persona--yes sir (or Ma'am), no sir (or Ma'am) and the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:11 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Great minds think alike.

Yes, me and that cop that told you that be wicked smaht.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
I was pulled over in June by the Texas State Highway Patrol as I was zipping through the desert at 90MPH without another car in sight. When they asked me why I was driving so fast I explained that my A/C wasn't working and I just wanted to get out of the heat. They were very nice. But I still got a ticket for 400 bucks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:35 pm
I always ask for fries and supersize it.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
I was in court once contesting a speeding ticket (I won). The guy before me was also contesting a speeding ticket. The judge asked him, "were you going 55 in a 35 lane?" The man replied, "yes, but everyone was going 55". The judge responded, "I didn't ask you if EVERYONE was going 55. I asked if YOU were going 55". The guy lost.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
I got pulled over once but it was all a mistake after all I don't own a car so how could I be driving it? I even said this in the courtroom but the judge didn't buy my tail and to make matters worse I had told the officer his shoes weren't shiny enough. Oh well at least I didn't kiss him like the one in Chicago.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:11 am
NickFun wrote:
That's a good idea CrazieLady. Next time I'm speeding down the freeway I must make sure to fill my glove box to capacity and wear a dress.

take pictures, I;d love to see that one Laughing
0 Replies