Do you think soccer players deserve so high salary?

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:01 pm
Some of them get paid 50 thousands pound per week, startling!
What do they contribute to society? I see nothing!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,315 • Replies: 22
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:11 pm
Welcome to capitalism - things are worth what ever people are willing to pay for them....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
Do you think a golfer or a tennis player deserve a million dollars for a tournament win? I agree that it is pretty obscene.
What's more obscene is that 2/3 of the worlds population doesn't have enough to eat, even though there's no shortage of food in the world. The examples of social injustice are endless.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:25 pm
I feel the same too.
Why shall David Beckham lives so luxuriously?
What did he contribute to society? Just kicking the ball?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:57 pm
it's the same for movie stars - they make a ton of money and some would say the certain CEO's of companies make to much. It's what ever the market will bear.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:05 pm
How about a baseball player who makes $10 million a year? $50,000 a week is nuthin!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:50 pm
The great Sir Stanley Matthews used to take the bus to the game. Nowadays players turn up in Lamborghinis. Somewhere in the middle is the right level. However that won't happen. It's instructive though, how some very clever people have manipulated public opinion to make football the huge moneymaker it is now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:06 pm
If they didn't make all that money, tickets would not get cheap; the owners would get all the richer.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:10 am
edgar's right. It's not the athletes who are making the lions share of the money, it's the owners. And it's not the athletes and entertainers contributing anything to society (other than contributing to "our" entertainment) As someone here said it's what the market will bear.

Why do plumbers make more than teachers..........?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:15 am
The only persons deserving of excessive (obscene) salaries are pitchers, catchers, third-basemen, outfielders oh heck all players and associates for The New York Yankees and all players for both The Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Bears.

Oh and of course science teachers...but that goes without saying, now doesn't it?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
rodeman wrote:
edgar's right. It's not the athletes who are making the lions share of the money, it's the owners. And it's not the athletes and entertainers contributing anything to society (other than contributing to "our" entertainment) As someone here said it's what the market will bear.

Why do plumbers make more than teachers..........?

hmm.... sticking ones hands into filthy slime and constantly dealing with human waste or communicating with those who create human waste...hard call there. Somehow I can see why a plumber would get those big bucks...and let's not forget that they can stop your basement from being flooded from an upstairs pipe burst.

But again, science teachers should be paid more than anybody else.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
Some players in 5th and 6th division here get about $1,100 per month - 30 years ago, they played for some beers and a sausage.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:31 am
It's still hard to imagine why it's so difficult to find any money for cancer research, but there's so many millions can flow to people who, in the end, really contribute very little to society. But I don't imagine things changing any time soon.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
Greed is a powerful thing Wilso...makes us forget what really matters.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:56 am
Re: Do you think soccer players deserve so high salary?
Futurist wrote:
Some of them get paid 50 thousands pound per week, startling!
What do they contribute to society? I see nothing!

Society disagrees with you -- at least that part of society which voluntarily pays for the right to watch them play. If you don't belong to that part of society, nobody forces you to watch football.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:03 am
I don't understand the whole "athlete vs. teacher" salary argument. Or at least, you don't understand why they get paid so much more.

Teachers are paid out of a a city or state budget. It's limited, and a lot of times the city/state is under funded.

Athletes are paid out of ticket, merchandise, and vendor sales. A professional athletic venue is a huge money maker. Athletes are just getting a "piece of the pie," kind of like how a salesperson earns a commission.

Like edgarblythe said, if it wasn't the athletes getting paid huge money, it would go into the owner's pockets. Either way, all that money is being generated. If you don't like it, than don't support it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:05 am
Without teachers there would be no athletes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:15 am
Sturgis wrote:
But again, science teachers should be paid more than anybody else.

Sturgis wrote:
Without teachers there would be no athletes.

I take it you're a science teacher? Smile

I think the reason David Beckam earns so much more than my excellent history teacher is because professional sports are about winning, while teaching is not. Nobody wants to see the thousandth-best soccer player on TV. On the other hand, everybody would like he thousandth-best teacher of the world to educate their kid -- after all, we're still talking about a very good teacher. As a result, almost all money that goes into sports, goes to a small group of "winners", while the money that goes into teaching is much more evenly dispersed among teachers.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:22 am
Thomas wrote:
I take it you're a science teacher? Smile

Retired last Spring...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:02 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
....... - 30 years ago, they played for some beers and a sausage.

Ah, yes....but the 5th and 6th divisions can only afford communal showers.
0 Replies