thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:08 am
Can you even be sure of this?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:17 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Can you even be sure of this?

Are your eyes green? See, I can ask questions too.

What is it you're getting at?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:26 am
Quote:
most history is little more than educated guesswork and blatant exaggerations.

this...

I think you will find much disagreement to this statement.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:28 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
most history is little more than educated guesswork and blatant exaggerations.

this...

I think you will find much disagreement to this statement.

By who?

I have to agree. History is nothing but someone elses view of what happened.

There are 3 sides to a story. Your side, my side and the truth.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:32 am
And my question was, how do you know this, how can the questioner make such a giant guess and be so sure? History is the chain of events that have actually happened. This is a total slap in the face to historians, people who match dates with names from multiple sources....I'm sorry, but ya'll are ignorant.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:34 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
And my question was, how do you know this, how can the questioner make such a giant guess and be so sure? History is the chain of events that have actually happened. This is a total slap in the face to historians, people who match dates with names from multiple sources....I'm sorry, but ya'll are ignorant.

Ok, believe what you want. But my statement still stands that the stories told are generally from one side and one side only, therefore are biased.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:38 am
So, basically do you pick and choose which recorded history you believe?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:39 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

We're all ignorant, which is more or less my point.

Historians can make educated "guesses" about ancient civilizations based upon broken bits of pottery and barely standing pieces of brick. But all it is is guesswork.

And as for what I said, I was mostly referring to written history which is, by it's necessisity, little more than a biased view.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
So, basically do you pick and choose which recorded history you believe?

Sort of, based on the limited knowledge we have available.

You can find different accounts of most events and patch together what you think happened.

Sure, there are factual historical events out there. Things like the Holocaust, that had thousands of different people all account the same thing, tell us it happened. How EXACTLY it happened, we can't say because we werent there to experience it. We can hear others accounts but they are individual, biased accounts of the event. (Which by the way, doesn't make it any less horrible) But then there are other things, like Columbus being the first to set foot in America, that is bullsh*t because who was there to account for it?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:56 am
Wasn' t that discredited before? The whole Columbus part?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Wasn' t that discredited before? The whole Columbus part?

Now it is and most people know it but not 20 years ago, I was taught and my books were printed, that Columbus was the first to set foot in America.

Do we know for sure who the first person was? Probably not. It's a guess because that person would have been dead for a LONG time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:47 am
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Unpardonable sin and blasphemy are fairly much the same, and to my understanding, blasphemy is the denial that you need to ask for forgiveness.

Exactly. "Unpardonable" simply because the nature of the sin is preventing any pardon.

I'm currently reading Robert Miller's "The Gospel of Thomas, a Guidebood for Spiritual Practice"

The Gospel of Thomas is a noncanonical sayings gospel found among the the discovery of the Nag Hammadi Library in 1945. Many of the sayings have parallels in the canonical gospel, some do not. Miller agrees with t_r32 and Rex as follows:

saying 10: Jesus said: I have thrown fire on the world. Look! I watch it until it blazes. Miller interprets fire to mean the Holy spirit, or wind/breath of God. The Holy spirit is defined as God's work on earth, taken from the use of the word spirit in Genesis 1:2.

saying 82: Jesus said: Whoever is near me is near the fire. Whoever is far from me is far from the Kingdom." The difference here is that Jesus identifies himself with the fire.

saying 44: Jesus said: Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven. Whoever balsphemes against the son will be forgiven. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, neither on earth nor in heaven. This saying is also found in the canonical gospels and there has been debate on just what that sin is. In my early Christian upbringing I was taught that it was taking the Lords name in vain - a definition I still hear from my Catholic neighbors. According to Miller, "To blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is to take a stand against God's work in the world. This negates the possibility of forgiveness, since forgiveness is a primary work of God among us... But however much forgiveness is God's nature and desire, pitting oneself against the very source of that forgiveness closes the doors of God's mercy both on earth and in heaven."

Putting this into spritual practice then would have us not only be open to forgiveness, but to be forgiving.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:55 am
Quote:
Do we know for sure who the first person was? Probably not. It's a guess because that person would have been dead for a LONG time.

Let's see if our evolutionist friends could give it a try....Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Putting this into spritual practice then would have us not only be open to forgiveness, but to be forgiving.

Exactly
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Let's see if our evolutionist friends could give it a try....Rolling Eyes

So, let me see...you can prove who the very first person to set foot in this country was? That would mean you are omnipotent. Wow. Impressive.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:01 am
Oh, not me...I'm not scientifically minded.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:21 pm
To constantly reject the Holy Spirit I believe would be. He's always knocking, he's just waiting for us to let him in.

I think suicide is a forgiven. God knows how the condition of the world is in and how hard life can be.

Wanda
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Well, what would happen if everyone commited suicide? Wouldn't that negate the purpose of our creation?

Just a few thoughts...
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
Re: Unpardonable sin?
boomerang wrote:
Which religion or religious sect embraces the notion of "unpardonable sin"?

I have no idea--I do not get close to the boa constrictor-like death 'group hugs' that you so diplomatically refer to as 'embraces.' Laughing

Quote:
What would be an unpardonable sin?

My answer comes from my personal perspective as a bible-believing, extreme anti-labelist and religious anarchist...

'Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit' seems to be the only one listed in my handy-dandy guide book....

Doesn't really help much, in that kind of obscure jargon, does it?

I understand it to be calling the elusive quality and oft-alleged mythical creature of 'Truth' the Holy Spirit--and that any of the following or similar infractions against that ideal are 'blasphemy':
*to defame,
*knowingly allow the defamation of,
*disregard/disrespect the possibility of and therefore refuse to answer when it knocks at your (inner) door,
*and/or make personally designated but ill-chosen substitutions to share freely abroad, to both innocents and those of age, indiscriminately and falsely advertised as 'truth', especially as an adjunct to personal dysfunctional maintainence of self-delusion.

(That's why I always look for the Truth with the capital T) Laughing

But seriously, that's my take on your query.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:23 pm
Okay, so I didn't think of the whole world commiting suicide at once. You're a deep thinker.

That would probably not be tolerated. I don't think God would let that happen since it's his will.

Wanda
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:27 pm
If God's will keeps things from happening, explain the reason for his will when an innocent baby starves to death or dies of a horrible disease.

What could his purpose be to "allow" this to happen?
0 Replies