Unpardonable sin?

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
Which religion or religious sect embraces the notion of "unpardonable sin"?

What would be an unpardonable sin?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,516 • Replies: 70
No top replies

lmur

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:37 pm
Pardon?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:40 pm
Define pardonable. Are you using the word pardonable in the place of forgivable?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:42 pm
I don't know.

Let's pretend someone you know of left a suicide note saying that they had commited an "unpardonable sin".

What the heck could they have meant?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:46 pm
It means they felt they did something which they feel nobody could ever excuse or pardon or forgive or overlook. Or it may just mean they want out and want the final thoughts of others towards them to be that they had done something that was truly reprehensible...which they (the suicider) could then view as being an unpardonable sin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:54 pm
Voting for the Shrub . . . twice . . .
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:00 pm
As a former Baptist ...

I seem to remember the unpardonable sin was "refusing the Holy Spirit."

The way it goes is, it's the Holy Spirit who moves you to Jesus / God, who helps you understand you need him ...

So, if you reject the Holy Spirit, you can't be forgiven for all the other sins.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:04 pm
Wow, Setanta. I never thought I'd hear you espouse any notion of "sin".

I suppose you could be right, Sturgis and that religion doesn't have a thing to do with it. When someone puts things in terms of "sin" I think that there is some sort of religious influence in the words.

But perhaps other people don't chose their words so carefully.

It would seem to me that within the concept of "sin" that suicide would be right up there with the big, unpardonable things.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:08 pm
Very interesting, dupre, thank you.

It seems to me though that if someone were going to kill themselves over a "sin" that rejecting the Holy Spirit would not really be the impetus.

I would think if someone were thinking along these lines that they would instead embrace the Holy Spirit in order to be forgiven.

But that gets very circular, doesn't it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:24 pm
boomerang wrote:
But that gets very circular, doesn't it?

Not an infrequent drawback to any hypothecating centered on religion. Just about inevitable, in fact.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:27 pm
Running our beautiful ladies off the end of a cliff deliberately and with malice and cheques aforethought is an unpardonable sin.And we are going to be severly punished for it and deservedly so.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:03 pm
Yes, timber, I do agree that circular thinking can get the better of anyone when considering religion.

Okay spendius, you've lost me.
0 Replies

knowitall2005

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:46 pm
Denying the Holy Ghost is an unforgiven sin.
Denying the Holy Ghost is an unforgivable si because it's in the Bible.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
I don't want to be offensive at all but I don't thin that denying the Holy Ghost was the issue here.

Honestly to me that sounds kind of like a scare tactic to keep people in the fold and I don't think someone who didn't believe ever or someone who decided that God did not exist and therefore left the church would say "I have commited the sin of denying the Holy Ghost so I'm going to kill myself".

Really that just doesn't make a lick of sense.

And I am not saying that suicide makes any sense.

But killing yourself because you denied the existence of the Holy Ghost makes less sense than killing yourself because.... I dunno.... a bird flew over your house at 12:10 while you were cooking a pot roast and it was Tuesday and you'd just had a haircut yesterday.

I'm really not trying to be sarcastic and I am trying to understand why someone would so such a thing because of an "unpardonable sin".

What about other than Christianity?

Anybody?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:29 am
Engaging in a Ménage e tois with a nun and a Labrador on a balcony overlooking the Mount of Olives whilst wearing a Santa Claus hat.

Seriously though, check Wikipedia
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:32 am
Either it was denying Jesus (God) or it was the suicide itself.

Many religions claim that taking your own life is an unforgivable sin that damns the person to hell. This is, of course, if the person is not mentally ill in anyway, so 99.9% of suicides would be considered forgivable since the person was not mentally competent. I mean, who commits suicide for the fun of it?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:21 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Many religions claim that taking your own life is an unforgivable sin that damns the person to hell. This is, of course, if the person is not mentally ill in anyway, so 99.9% of suicides would be considered forgivable since the person was not mentally competent. I mean, who commits suicide for the fun of it?

I've known of several that attempted it in a bid for attention. I have no doubt that several of those attempts have resulted in success in the past. Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
Questioner wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I've known of several that attempted it in a bid for attention. I have no doubt that several of those attempts have resulted in success in the past. Confused

But those people still were not functioning on a clear mental level. Depression causes many thoughts and suicide for attention is one of them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:35 am
I'll just throw a few out there.

Screwing your sister or mother.

Killing a child.

Blasphemy.

Just trying to keep the conversation going...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:36 am
Bella Dea wrote:

But those people still were not functioning on a clear mental level. Depression causes many thoughts and suicide for attention is one of them.

True. However, many people commit murder for the same reason, yet we're supposed to hold them accountable. I suppose the church considers this the same thing.
0 Replies