Killers walk free

au1929

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:14 am
By THOMAS ZAMBITO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Kenneth Payne killed his neighbor in 1998. He walked free last year.

Convicted killers are walking out of state prisons, thanks to a series of controversial rulings by judges who decided the jailbirds were charged with the wrong type of murder.In bizarre cases of justice gone wild, the Daily News has found that even murderers who meant to kill their victims are being put back on the streets.

In a typical case, lawyers for Brooklyn chef David Policano, 47, admitted he was guilty of intentional murder, a second-degree murder rap.

But then they argued he should be freed because he was convicted of a different type of second-degree murder, depraved indifference to human life.

The three-judge federal appeals panel that upheld the appeal acknowledged their own decision was "disturbing," because "the defendant is set free because he meant to kill his victim." The ruling is only the tip of the iceberg.

The News discovered at least four other killers found guilty of depraved-indifference murder - a charge normally applied to crimes like shooting into a crowd - have had convictions overturned.

And dozens more could be set free statewide as hundreds of appeals move through state and federal courts. In Queens alone, prosecutors are fighting to keep a dozen killers behind bars.

The head of the New York State District Attorney's Association said prosecutors must now choose between the two types of second-degree murder from the start of the case if they want convictions to stick.

"Does it make it more difficult for us? Sure it does," said association president Frank Clark. "If I had my druthers, I would rather see us having more bites at the apple, but we're constrained by the law."

Clark said it's disturbing so many guilty people may be off the hook on a technicality, but he added that DA's "know what's at stake" when they decide how to charge.

Ironically, the convictions ripest for reversal are those where the evidence showing the defendant's intent to kill was strongest, experts say.

In such cases, if the jury acquitted the defendant of intentional murder but convicted of depraved, he could easily walk on appeal.

Fordham Law School Prof. Abraham Abramovsky said he expects the public reaction to these reversals will range from confusion to outrage - but prosecutors, not the appeals judges, should bear the blame.

"The court says: 'You're the prosecutor. You had all the evidence. Get it right, and if you can't get it right, you'll bear the consequences,' " he said.

Policano's case is typical of the recent rulings. In 1997, he shot Terry Phillips in a brutal revenge attack. Phillips had smashed Policano in the face with a pipe, leaving a gash that required 15 stitches. Policano, a 6-foot-5, 270-pound hulk, told cops he would "take care of this himself."

Six days later, he did, walking up to Phillips at a bus stop and shooting him three times in the head and neck at close range with a 9-mm. pistol.

Policano was convicted for depraved indifference - and ordered freed by Brooklyn Federal Judge John Gleeson in January after serving eight years.

Gleeson said he should get another trial, but the appeals panel this month said that's double jeopardy - trying him twice for the same crime.

Brooklyn prosecutors are weighing an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Now back home in Fort Greene, despite his lawyers' admission of his guilt, Policano says he's innocent.

"I am not the killer," he said last week. "I did not do the murder, period. I don't want society to say a killer walked free because an innocent man was set free."

DOUBLE JEOPARDY

The issue:

For years, prose-cutors have been charging defendants with second-degree murder under two competing theories-intentional murder and depraved indifference to human life.

The charges:

To convict of intentional murder, a jury must find the defendant meant to cause the victim's death. Convicting on depraved indifference means the jury found the defendant acted recklessly but did not intend the kill the victim.

The fallout:

Appeals courts have ruled prosecutors misapplied the depraved indifference charge. The result is that stone-cold killers who were tried under both theories and acquitted of intentional murder but convicted of depraved indifference could win get out of jail free cards.

L.I. ex-con was first out of the gate
By TRACY CONNOR

When Kenneth Payne walked out of the Five Points Correctional Facility in upstate New York a year ago, he left the gates unlocked for a parade of murderers.

The 48-year-old contractor - convicted of the only slaying in the history of bucolic Shelter Island, L.I. - was the first man to be freed under a challenge to the charge of "depraved indifference" murder.

Thanks to a ruling by the state's highest court, and decisions by other appeals panels, other confessed killers are now poised to rejoin society without doing their time.

Payne, who served six years of a 25-year sentence before being sprung October 2004, makes no apologies.

"I didn't give one thought for any far-reaching effect," he told the Daily News.

"I was not out to change the law, or to change the world. I was out to get myself out of prison. If the state charged people correctly, there wouldn't be this problem."

Payne's role in legal history began unfolding on April 27, 1998, when he grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun and stomped over to neighbor Curtis Cook's home.

Cook, who had complained about Payne's dog, also had been recently arrested for molesting an 8-year-old girl and had allegedly threatened Payne's young daughter and girlfriend.

This much is not in dispute: Payne lifted the 12-gauge elephant gun, pulled the trigger once and shot Cook point-blank in the chest, killing him.

Prosecutors charged him with two theories of second-degree murder: intentional murder and depraved indifference to human life.

In 2000, a jury acquitted Payne of intentional murder but convicted him of the other count, and he was sentenced to the maximum of 25 years to life.

He spent some of his time behind bars educating himself on the law, ultimately tapping out his appeal on an old typewriter.

Four years after his conviction, the Court of Appeals ruled 5-2 that prosecutors had misapplied the depraved indifference charge and threw out the case.

Payne is back on Shelter Island now and said he hasn't followed other prisoners' appeals.

"I studied hard and I wrote that brief and changed New York State law and got me out of prison and back to work," he said.

"Right now, I'm building a deck and I have my country music playing and I'm living a beautiful life."

Is this justice or lunacy
?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,916 • Replies: 23
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:30 am
Actually, it's a good argument for changing the law. Change the law, avoid the conflict and this should stop.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:36 am
jespah
Yes however,would this have been a good argument for "Activist Judges."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:40 am
It's lunacy, but they need to start getting it right to avoid this sort of thing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:49 am
I suppose, similar might happen - and happens - elsewhere as well, where we have a functioning legal and juridical system, with judges, bond to the law.

What jespah said:
jespah wrote:
Actually, it's a good argument for changing the law. Change the law, avoid the conflict and this should stop.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:58 am
It would appear that technicalities carry more weight in our justice system than justice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:07 am
"Justice" is made by laws which are made by us resp. our elected lawmen - at least in democratic systems.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:08 am
We have a flawed system, but right now it is the best one that we've got. Changing the laws is a good start, but it has to be done by the legislatures, not by activist judges. A judge's job is to apply the law, not make it.

Judges are supposed to be disinterested in their rulings. The rulings need to come from the judge's understanding of the law as it stands when it comes before him in his courtroom, and its application, not his personal opinion of the law.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:12 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
A judge's job is to apply the law, not make it.

For such, we have got the 'Federal Constitutional Court' (and the state's constitutional courts) here :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
Since there are no lobbyists paying off the lawmakers for instances where our laws let felons of all stripes defeat justice on technicalities there is little hope that justice will prevail. In fact they are the defense lawyers bread and butter.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 03:47 pm
Actually, no. Defense lawyers have plenty of work.

As for whether defense lawyers resort to technicalities, well, the truth is that they (like every other American attorney since Day One) abide by the Code of Professional Responsibility, one of the tenets of which is to provide zealous representation. Not the lawyers' fault if the law provides the means for an acquittal.

Don't like the law? Lobby to get it changed. And it's not such a cynical thing. If it was all special interests there would hardly be an environmental laws, for one thing. But there's no sense in (a) demanding that defense lawyers not do everything legal to get their clients acquitted (it is their job) and/or (b) demanding that judges go beyond the scope of their duties and start manufacturing laws.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:40 pm
People v. Payne

The decision makes sense to me. Prosecutors are responsible for charging the appropriate crime. However, prosecutors routinely stacked the deck in their favor by charging both "intentional murder" and "depraved indifference murder" with both carrying the same punishment in cases where "depraved indifference murder" did not apply. The time is long overdue for prosecutors to be held accountable for their misuse of the law.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:01 pm
This makes me sick. It really does.

But I agree with Debra-Law and Jespah as the nature of the law.

I have to take issue with the idea of 'technicalities'. The law is the law is the law. There are no 'technicalities', only mistakes. If the law wasn't stringently laid down and stringently interpreted (within known and accepted guidelines) then we'd all be subject to the whims of the court at any given time.

This is still wrong. But it should be corrected immediately.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:22 am
DAs rip legal escape hatch

Fight to keep killers behind bars

By KATHLEEN LUCADAMO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

District attorneys across the state vented frustration yesterday over a legal loophole that is letting convicted killers walk free - by admitting their crimes were intentional.
Killers found guilty of "depraved indifference to human life" - a second-degree murder charge - are having their convictions overturned if their defense lawyers can show there was nothing indifferent about their actions.

They argue that because the perpetrators meant to kill their victims, they should have been tried under a different second-degree rap: intentional murder.

As the Daily News reported yesterday, several appeals courts have upheld the twisted logic, and now prosecutors are being forced to change the way they charge murder suspects.

"I find it ridiculous that in an appeal, someone's defense to a depraved indifference conviction is that they intended to kill someone," Staten Island District Attorney Daniel Donovan said.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown is fighting to keep a dozen killers behind bars as they appeal their convictions for "depraved indifference" murder. "We've relied for years on longstanding precedent in holding murderers accountable for their actions," Brown fumed.

"Now many of the convictions obtained based upon that precedent are in jeopardy. ... That is just plain wrong."

For years, prosecutors have been charging alleged killers under two theories of second-degree murder: depraved indifference, which means they acted recklessly but did not necessarily mean to kill, and intentional murder.

But in October 2004, convicted killer Kenneth Payne successfully argued to the state's highest court that prosecutors were misapplying the depraved indifference charge.

His lawyers contended that because he shot his Shelter Island, L.I., neighbor at point-blank range, he should have been found guilty of intentional murder - and his conviction for depraved indifference ought to be tossed out.

The court agreed, and Payne was let go after serving six years of a 25-year sentence. Dozens of other criminals also could walk free if they use the same argument in their appeals, experts say.

Another result of the controversial rulings is that some district attorneys have stopped charging suspects with both types of murder.

Now they choose which charge to press before the case goes to trial.

Rockland County District Attorney Michael Bongiorno said his office already has dramatically scaled back its use of the depraved indifference charge.

"Our fear is what is happening: Courts reverse the depraved indifference charge and you have nothing," Bongiorno said.

Originally published on November 28, 2005
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:31 am
Quote:
Another result of the controversial rulings is that some district attorneys have stopped charging suspects with both types of murder.

Now they choose which charge to press before the case goes to trial.

I must have missed this first time around. Does this mean that DAs have been preferring two different indictments for the one set of circumstances?
Interesting. In my jurisdiction that would have been booted out first time anyone tried it because of duplicity, that's been settled law for years.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:59 am
Not sure but I believe they use either or charge. From what I can gather those charged with depraved indifference can now confess that they intended to do the murder,hence the wrong charge, and get away Scott free.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:37 am
We've a totally (in this respect really totally) different law system.

Duplicity is allowed here as well - but in the case described here, the judge would have ask the prosecution to consider a different charge, otherwise he would ...
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:30 pm
au1929 wrote:
Not sure but I believe they use either or charge. From what I can gather those charged with depraved indifference can now confess that they intended to do the murder, hence the wrong charge, and get away Scott free.

No. That's not the way it works. The courts look at the evidence presented at trial to determine if the evidence was sufficient to sustain the conviction. In Payne's case, he was angry with his neighbor. Payne grabbed his rifle, walked over to his neighbor's house, argued with the man, and then shot the man point blank in the torso.

The prosecutor charged Payne with BOTH "intentional murder" and "depraved indifference murder." Because of the sloppy charging and the way the prosecutor presented the case, the jury could have found that Payne might not have INTENDED to kill the neighbor when he shot him point blank in the torso, but doing so demonstrated depraved indifference to life. This type of rationale is easy to follow, but it's wrong as a matter of law.

Prosecutors loved to charge BOTH murders because of the above demonstrated type of rationale. Sometimes it's very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant specifically intended to kill the victim. Prosecutors were giving themselves and the jury an easy way around the specific intent element. However, by charging "depraved indifference murder" in cases of one on one killings, prosecutors were misusing the law.

In Payne's case, he was angry and drunk when he killed his neighbor. Intoxication can sometimes negate "specific intent" to kill. If the prosecutor had charged correctly, the prosecutor should have charged Payne with "intentional murder." If Payne raised the defense that he didn't intend to kill because he was angry and intoxicated when he pulled the trigger, then the Court could have instructed the jury on the "lesser included" offenses of reckless homicide (manslaughter) and negligent homicide.

If the jury could not determine beyond a reasonable doubt that Payne specifically intended to kill the neighbor, then it was a no-brainer that Payne was guilty of manslaughter. He would have been convicted of a charge that the evidence presented at trial would sustain throughout every step of the appellate process.

The problem is the jury acquitted Payne of intentional murder. No "lesser included" offenses to intentional murder were presented to jury for its consideration. The only charge that was left for the jury to consider was "depraved indifference" murder. Rather than let Payne walk free, they convicted him on a charge that didn't even apply to his case.

"Depraved indifference" murder is generally not applicable to one-on-one killings. It is applicable to situations when the actor doesn't intend to kill any particular victim, but his actions demonstrate a depraved indifference to life, e.g., shooting into a crowd of people, letting a dangerous man-eating lion loose into a crowd of people.

Due to the circumstances of Payne's case--the one-on-one killing--Payne was not guilty of "depraved indifference" murder as a matter of law. Because the jury acquitted Payne of intentional murder, the double jeopardy clause prevents the state from trying him again for intentional murder. That's why Payne gets to walk free--NOT BECAUSE HE CONFESSED to intentional murder--but because the evidence presented at trial cannot sustain the conviction as a matter of law and because the double jeopardy clause prevents the state from trying him again.

Prosecutors routinely charged a defendant with BOTH intentional murder and depraved indifference murder in order to double the chances of getting a murder conviction thus stacking the deck in the prosecution's favor. If the prosecution had charged correctly, Payne still might not have been convicted of intentional murder, but he would definitely be sitting in prison convicted of manslaughter.

If people like Payne are now getting their depraved indifference murder convictions overturned, state prosecutors have no one to blame but themselves and their own sloppy charging strategies.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:05 pm
Why couldn't he have been charged with murder which he did indeed commit? What difference does it make if he committed it with depraved indifference or what ever. Yeah I know it's the law. As ridiculous as it apparently is.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:58 pm
Makes sense - thanks Debra_Law.
0 Replies