My Fair Lady

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:51 am
I watched the DVD of this film. Very nice.
There is no end for its story, do you think Prof. Higgins will marry Eliza one day?
Do you think a guttersnipe can become a duchess after "education" ?
In chinese we say "a chicken to become a phoenix", quite impossible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 34
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:14 am
I heard that Prof. Higgins, and Eliza got married in Spain on the plain. They had ten kids. *giggles*

Read the Story of Pygmalion.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:09 am
Do you think Eliza is beautiful, realy a fair lady?
I feel she is wild and rude, difficult to tame.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:17 am
If she is difficult to tame for you, then, she is. He did it, din't he?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:44 am
It's one of my favorite films. I think the change in the ending (Eliza married Freddy in Pygmalion) works well in this case.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:47 am
I did not like that she married Freddy. That spoiled it for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:56 am
Well, not having Rex Harrison's charm, the Higgens in Pygmalian came off more boorish and less deserving, in my estimation.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 10:35 am
I heard that many people were unhappy with the "Eliza marries Freddy" ending.

And that the original ending that the author intended--before the movie version--was that Eliza marries Col. Pickering.

I like my own modern choices:

Eliza opens up a flower shop at the Race Track, and is an independent woman of modest means who spends the rest of her life making up for her lack of education and becomes very knowlegdeable on a wide range of subjects.

Or

Eliza moves in with and becomes lovers with the professor's mother, Mrs. Higgins.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:03 am
Well, Eliza's last words in the play suggest she intends to marry Freddy. I don't respect Freddy, but, Pickering and Higgens are not exactly desireable either.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:09 am
Higgens has to marry her! The experience changed both of them, so they have to get married!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
I choose to differ. Pickering is a decent sort, in many ways, but he is no match for Eliza. In fact, in my opinion, no man in the story is of her caliber.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:54 pm
Shocked Eliza not to marry Prof higgins? Unthinkable!! I've always felt like she and Prof. Higgins remained together forever,and were quite happy. Very Happy
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 02:23 pm
Perhaps Col. Pickering and Prof. Higgins had a thing for each other...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 03:13 pm
I love the way the movie ended,, but there was manipulation of the original words and the photogenic Rex Harrison to move us and Eliza. The play leaves us hanging, but with hints of what was to follow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 03:22 pm
Part of the reason she would marry Freddie:

http://www.literaturepage.com/read/pygmalion-95.html
Almost immediately after Eliza is stung into proclaiming her considered determination not to marry Higgins, she mentions the fact that young Mr. Frederick Eynsford Hill is pouring out his love for her daily through the post. Now Freddy is young, practically twenty years younger than Higgins: he is a gentleman (or, as Eliza would qualify him, a toff), and speaks like one; he is nicely dressed, is treated by the Colonel as an equal, loves her unaffectedly, and is not her master, nor ever likely to dominate her in spite of his advantage of social standing. Eliza has no use for the foolish romantic tradition that all women love to be mastered, if not actually bullied and beaten. "When you go to women," says Nietzsche, "take your whip with you." Sensible despots have never confined that precaution to women: they have taken their whips with them when they have dealt with men, and been slavishly idealized by the men over whom they have flourished the whip much more than by women. No doubt there are slavish women as well as slavish men; and women, like men, admire those that are stronger than themselves. But to admire a strong person and to live under that strong person's thumb are two different things. The weak may not be admired and hero-worshipped; but they are by no means disliked or shunned; and they never seem to have the least difficulty in marrying people who are too good for them. They may fail in emergencies; but life is not one long emergency: it is mostly a string of situations for which no exceptional strength is needed, and with which even rather weak people can cope if they have a stronger partner to help them out. Accordingly, it is a truth everywhere in evidence that strong people, masculine or feminine, not only do not marry stronger people, but do not show any preference for them in selecting their friends. When a lion meets another with a louder roar "the first lion thinks the last a bore." The man or woman who feels strong enough for two, seeks for every other quality in a partner than strength.

The converse is also true. Weak people want to marry strong people who do not frighten them too much; and this often leads them to make the mistake we describe metaphorically as "biting off more than they can chew." They want too much for too little; and when the bargain is unreasonable beyond all bearing, the union becomes impossible: it ends in the weaker party being either discarded or borne as a cross, which is worse. People who are not only weak, but silly or obtuse as well, are often in these difficulties.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:51 pm
does loverly mean lovely?
no loverly in my dictionary, is it a correct word?

I think Higgins is too OLD for Eliza,
I prefer her to open a flower shop, selling flowers for her whole life, and marry a Chinese man like me. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:30 pm
Loverly appears to be the combining of lovely and lover, making for a very pleasing song lyric.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:35 pm
Dupre, would you choose a more satisfactory ending for every book in which I've been disapointed? I love your thoughts on Eliza.

And yeah, I've always wondered about those old Englishmen living together. Holmes and Watson, for example.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 10:30 pm
Some very good books or movies keep me happy to the bitterly disappointing end. Not that many, but some. Unlike most people, I would never have watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest if I had forseen the ending.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 10:49 pm
Oh .. but the Indian gets away!
0 Replies