Honestly Officer, I didn't know it was stolen!

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
I don't know what the ad said but apparently the guy had made modifications to his guitar and it was strung for a left handed player so there wasn't any doubt that it was his.

I can't believe all of the "wife changed her mind - brand new furniture" stuff I see. Yeah, right. And you can't return it?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
In Texas, pawn shops that have been shown to have in their possession stolen items, must be reimbursed by the original owner the price the pawn shop paid to the thief, before the owner can take possession. Pawn shop owners claim that without this provision they couldn't stay open. In other words, pawn shops are legal "fences."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:37 am
Even more confirmation:

Quote:
In Portland, a 20-month FBI investigation uncovered a booming professional shoplifting and fencing operation that relied primarily on eBay, underscoring the powerful impact the auction site can have on illicit trade.

Shoplifters called "boosters," most of them drug addicts, swiped millions of dollars' worth of KitchenAid mixers, Dyson vacuums, power tools and other popular goods from retail stores across the West. Federal agents say the merchandise was then sold to nearly a dozen secondhand stores in Portland, fetching a fraction of the retail price.

Those shop owners then turned to eBay's international customer base to find buyers, federal authorities say.

Quote:
Five of the people accused in Portland of selling stolen property did such robust business on eBay that they were deemed "power sellers" -- making them honored citizens in an online community where reputations are a member's stock and trade. The highest-volume dealer garnered 15,000 favorable comments over about three years, eBay records show.

Full story from today's paper: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1134798908252870.xml&coll=7&thispage=1
0 Replies