the Art of Kathe Kollwitz

shepaints

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 07:55 pm
I saw the Kathe Kollwitz show at the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto today. The above illustrated lithograph "Never Again War" was there....All her work emanated from such deep emotion. Even when she depicted scenes of great oppression, she also managed to speak of strength, resilience and survival....

"I have never done any work cold.....I have always worked
with my blood so to speak. Those who see my things
must feel it".......Kathe Kollwitz
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 09:32 pm
kathe
I've been looking through my book on Kollwitz (by Herbert Bittner). Only she can compete with Daumier in drawing the human condition.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:24 pm
I agree JL, except Kollwitz never shows a bit of humor. I love her work mostly for ability to graphically deliver a message.
Mrs F and I did brave the SARs scare (we were armed with the then compelling, but now totally incorrect assumption that SARS was airborne only) and we drove to Toronto for a long weekender to see the show and visit some friends. I bought a kollwitz book by renate Hinz

How she could fill the paper to overflowing with her images.
I feel that she should be in the Pantheon of 'A" level artists
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 02:53 pm
art
I just saw an interview with Jaime Wyeth, grandson of Andrew. He is very much the illustrator, but with tremendous craftsmanship and sense of design. Seen up side down, his work is very artistic, beautifully designed/composed. Right side up it is dramatic and wonderfully aesthetic, but his grandfather's work has that something. Don't know what to call it, but unlike Jaime's work, Andrew's work has little or no interest in being pretty.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 08:40 pm
Living in "Wyeth country" its a mixed blessing. The presence of the entire family (including some aunts, other uncles , and Peter Hurd), there is an almost accepted genre that is Wyethesque.
jamie has always been a reconnection to his grandfathers illustrator style , but with a more painterly mode. Andrew, its been said, would paint a vase of roses by letting the roses die and wilt first. Also JL, jamie is the SON of ANdrew and the grandson of Newell C Wyeth , the famous illustrator of Kids books and magazines in the same time as the Pyle/ SChoonover/Rockwell etc illustrators.

there are an incredible amount of copyists that have surrounded this area of the world. Noonne dares do abstract, the AE's are closer to NY and anywhere outside of the Eakins, Wyeth, pyle and all the Pa Impressionists zone of influence. Its an interesting but often, boring , batch of galleries unless you really like illustration art and (Gaaack) Pre-Raphaelite art..
0 Replies