New computer problem

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:59 pm
Here's my new problem.

I play lots of poker on the Internet...and lately, the site has been posting a warning that my memory is getting low...and they are having difficulty setting their graphics.

Now I notice that when I hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete....the list of programs is huge....and I do not even know what most of the items are.

Here is a list of what I show:

Tbps
Pib
Aolservicehost
Aolservicehost (a second time)
Easyshare
Aolspscheduler
Aolhostmanager
Wbcl
Soproc
Qttask
Kodakccs
Stimon
Systray
Rnaapp
Mwsoemon
Sboeaddr

Can any of this crap go...and how do I get rid of it.

I supposedly have 128 megabytes of memory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,345 • Replies: 11
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:25 pm
What's your operating system, and when was the last time you rebooted?

128 MB is not a lot for Windows 2000 or XP.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:27 pm
Windows 2000...

...and I turn the computer off often.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:39 am
Memory (RAM) is cheap, Frank, and easy to install - you oughtta be running at least twice what you've got, more if your machine will support it. Even if you tale your machine into a shop, an upgrade to 512MB of RAM shouldn't eat all of $C note.

Now ... you aren't gonna wanna read this, but your machine is seriously infested with yuckware, and I expect your poker playing has a lot to do with that. Some of the apps you've got running there, according to your list, willl bog down a late-model machine with tons of RAM - you've gotta get rid of that crap, and its gonna be a painstaking, tedious process. I suggest you have a look HERE, set aside an evening, and get busy.

Just fyi:

Tbps <----Yuckware
Pib <----Yuckware
Aolservicehost <---- OK
Aolservicehost (a second time) <---- OK
Easyshare <---- Not Yuckware, but doesn't need to start with Windows
Aolspscheduler <---- OK
Aolhostmanager <---- OK
Wbcl <----Probably Yuckware
Soproc <----Yuckware
Qttask <---- Not Yuckware, but doesn't need to start with Windows
Kodakccs <---- Not Yuckware, but doesn't need to start with Windows
Stimon <---- OK
Systray <---- OK
Rnaapp <----Possibly Yuckware-related; unnescessary unless you are using dialup
Mwsoemon <----Yuckware
Sboeaddr <----Probably Yuckware
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
Be very very careful if you try to delete some of these things. A few years ago I was in a similar mess where some twenty illegitimate programs got into my system when I was on a site that started shooting pop-ups and every other thing at me. Then I started deleting and all went well. Then I deleted something else which it turned out had attached to main program components of my system. My computer died that day. Even the so called experts could not resuscitate it...it was tragic! So the point is, go slow and easy at removing any of those things since they may have attached onto something else.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:52 pm
I know where you're coming from there, Sturgis. The procedure I suggested Frank check out is well-tested, and has proven to be reliable, safe and effective, when executed as directed. It is designed specifically to prevent the sort of difficulty you ran into. Something of an idea of what I mean by "reliable, safe, and effective" may be gathered by browsing through the Computers Forum mainpage, looking at the topics prefixed "[RESOLVED]".

The procedure is a pain in the patoot, sure, but then doing something right instead of grabbing what appears to be an easier solution is just that way more often than not.

Its a helluva lot harder to get rid of yuckware - particularly some of the currently rampant varieties - than it is to get it. Fortunately, once its gotten rid of and the machine is properly updated, outfitted, configured, and used, its relatively easy to minimize the risk of acquiring more.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
Thanks Timber...thanks Sturgis.

Gonna see if Nancy and I can set aside enough time to do all that stuff. Or maybe I can talk her into getting us a new puter. This one is dated.

I'll let ya all know.

But before going to the new computer...I know I will at least try to do the repair you suggested, Timber.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:00 pm
Frank--

Good to see you posting again.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:02 pm
Hell, Frank, if a new 'puter is a realistic option, I'd go that way in a New York Minute - but when I transfered stuff from the old machine to the new one, I'd scan the socks off of everything before I moved it from machine to machine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:07 pm
Quote:
Gonna see if Nancy and I can set aside enough time to do all that stuff. Or maybe I can talk her into getting us a new puter. This one is dated.

My old 'puter had 128 mg. ram. We added some more, and the difference was amazing. Anyhow, I think that Timber is right. There is so much more crap floating around on the net, and eating up ram when 128mg ram was then the standard.

One thing that I have learned. When your computer becomes so infested that it causes a major case of agita, get rid of it and start fresh!

Glad to see ya around! Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:20 pm
<chuckle> ... I'm feeling a bit restricted by the limitations of a machine which has a 3+GB processor, a 256MB Video Card, and only supports 2 Gigs of system RAM .... LOL
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:36 pm
timberlandko wrote:
<chuckle> ... I'm feeling a bit restricted by the limitations of a machine which has a 3+GB processor, a 256MB Video Card, and only supports 2 Gigs of system RAM .... LOL

Timber,

Poor baby! It's tough being a geek isn't it!!

Anon
0 Replies